Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #1

Jumper clutch safety sw?

So, Like many 6 sp owners I'm hating the long clutch travel so I taped a block to clutch arm to limit travel to floor. In doing so I can not fully engage the sw to allow engine start. Thought about adding a shim to sw but I'm thinking since I'm the only one that drives the car to bypass the sw. I'm assuming the sw is a normally closed open so if I jumper the 2 wires will it satisfy the ECM? Think I will suffer dire consequences by closing that sw permanently?

Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
So, Like many 6 sp owners I'm hating the long clutch travel so I taped a block to clutch arm to limit travel to floor. In doing so I can not fully engage the sw to allow engine start. Thought about adding a shim to sw but I'm thinking since I'm the only one that drives the car to bypass the sw. I'm assuming the sw is a normally closed open so if I jumper the 2 wires will it satisfy the ECM? Think I will suffer dire consequences by closing that sw permanently?
HUH??
Lucy splain.

This is the first time I heard that people think the clutch travel is to long and hate it

pics?

You run the danger of not fully disengaging the clutch if you prevent the clutch pedal from going all the way down
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #3

Clutch sw bypass

Clarification, my clutch engagement point has always been almost all the way out. At the bottom 2 inches of travel my clutch is fully disengaged. Like another poster I can get away with this on my car but the sw is not activated at that point. I'm used to driving stick all my life and never had to deal with these so called (safety ) things until now. Old school autos never had these. By taping a block to arm it limits my clutch travel and makes it more normal to my liking.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
Curious, what does "sw" stand for?
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Curious, what does "sw" stand for?
Switch maybe?
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #6

Clutch sw bypass

Yes, I meant switch and this is just for my personal preference in clutch engagement point. I feel like I'm running the hurdles with my Lft foot when going thru the gears. I would just like to know if closing that sw permanent would create other problems. I'm thinking the sw is only used to enable start and that once started the sw has no other function. I just don't know. You electronic wizards help?

Last edited by Lapister; 02-10-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #7

Not advocating the bypass but to answer your question....
You can bypass the clutch switch if you choose. Potential downsides include starting the car in gear or not fully engauging the clutch when shifting gears.

I cannot recall for certain but I believe adding a wire between the switch terminals will bypass the switch. Try it. If your car starts you are good to go. If your car won't start. disconnect the switch from the wire harness and try it again.

High clutch engaugement may indicate a clutch replacement coming in the future!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote