Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #1

$6 Fix for Plastic Window

How I wish I'd taken a "before" picture, so you could see How awful my rear window was! it say it was milky white like a frosted window, and heavily pitted and stained. Before I spent a lot of money on new plastic or full glass top, I thought I'd try some headlight polish I had.

FYI, this took a LOT of elbow grease, and is a SLOW process. I'm actually still working on it after several days of labor. I've buffed the window countless times and invested maybe as much as 12 hours bent over the rear window. But look at the results, for only a $6 bottle of plastic polish!

HereIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #2

Garage
I too use head light restorer polishing compound to clean up rub areas on my plastic window
Works great
My window is in great shape but extended down time does chafe it a bit
Old 02-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

12 hours is a lot of elbow grease. Now that it's looking good you will have to do a quick polish every few months to keep it looking decent. Once the window has gotten to this point even after a good cleaning it tends to oxidize pretty quickly.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
12 hours is a lot of elbow grease. Now that it's looking good you will have to do a quick polish every few months to keep it looking decent. Once the window has gotten to this point even after a good cleaning it tends to oxidize pretty quickly.
Indeed. I'll be buffing it a couple times before every wash. I still want to take the plastic down further...rather than just maintaining it, I'll be ever pushing for a clearer finish. In time I believe I'll be able to cut the fogginess by another 50-75%.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
I had a Guards Red 89 C4, too
Old 02-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #6

Once polished out, keep it protected with Plexus. The rear window on my 2002 looks like new, other than a couple minor scratches.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #7

+1 on the Plexus, my window is 15 years old.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #8

Another good product

210 Plastic cleaner & polish from Sumner Labs. Inc. Sumner Laboratories Inc - Home Cleared my plastic window up nicely. Biggest trick is squeezing between the seats and reaching around the roll bars while the top is up in order to polish the inside. A lot needs to be cleared on the inside as well as the outside so do not neglect that part. Being short is a boon while doing this job. I have done a few windows for other PCA members at our Spring Breakout event in May.

I imagine an orbital polisher with soft foam pad would work nicely but I did all my work by hand and it didn't take all that long.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #9

I took a look at their website but they sell (12) 7oz cans to a case with a 3 case minimum order. So I checked out ebay and they have a single 14oz can for $15, but it's from Camco. Label looks the same but I've been fooled from knock offs. Does your can say Camco anywhere on the label?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield View Post
210 Plastic cleaner & polish from Sumner Labs. Inc. Sumner Laboratories Inc - Home Cleared my plastic window up nicely. Biggest trick is squeezing between the seats and reaching around the roll bars while the top is up in order to polish the inside. A lot needs to be cleared on the inside as well as the outside so do not neglect that part. Being short is a boon while doing this job. I have done a few windows for other PCA members at our Spring Breakout event in May.

I imagine an orbital polisher with soft foam pad would work nicely but I did all my work by hand and it didn't take all that long.

AKL
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John N View Post
I took a look at their website but they sell (12) 7oz cans to a case with a 3 case minimum order. So I checked out ebay and they have a single 14oz can for $15, but it's from Camco. Label looks the same but I've been fooled from knock offs. Does your can say Camco anywhere on the label?
No. Sumner Laboratories, Inc. Don't know who or what Camco is. If they are selling 210 plastic cleaner and it is not produced by Sumner then I don't know who makes it or what it is.

My wife bought a can along with some other things for her art supplies. Used for plexiglas polishing and I gave it a try on the Boxster window where I found it works fine. Keep us posted on your effort.

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #11

Can someone share the Plexus product link that someone mentioned above?
Can I buy the Plexus product at local store?
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #12
Living in the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIam View Post
I'm sure it's an improvement, but I don't think I would call that a "fix".
It would not pass inspection here.

For 12 hours of labor, I would just replace the top.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #13

Cool

Plexus works well, but its very expensive (12 bucks for a small can). You can find it at most motorcycle shops.

nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote