Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #1

An Encounter - pull over right away

When he turned on the red-and-blues I slowed down and turned on the right blinker but continued to the end of the block and turned onto a side street and pulled over. He let me know in no uncertain terms (but politely, our police are all college graduates) that I should pull over immediately. I said "I did that for your safety, so you are out of traffic." He said "The lights take care of that. Pull over RIGHT AWAY. From your behavior I would expect a weapon." Since he approached my car without his weapon drawn, I think he was exaggerating. But other places may be different; has anyone been approached with by the police their gun out?

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:01 AM   #2

Hand on the gun frequently. Always cracks me up too. Morning commute, pull over a 50 year old white guy for a traffic infraction and approach the pickup in a gunfighter stance.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:21 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre shags View Post
When he turned on the red-and-blues I slowed down and turned on the right blinker but continued to the end of the block and turned onto a side street and pulled over. He let me know in no uncertain terms (but politely, our police are all college graduates) that I should pull over immediately. I said "I did that for your safety, so you are out of traffic." ?
I've done the EXACT same thing once in the past, and the officer (a sheriff's deputy, even) didn't say a word. One thing I always do in this situation, however, is lower my window and put both hands on the the steering wheel so the officer can see I have nothing in my hands. I'm always polite and respectful, as well. One thing cops really hate is your offering any hint of disrespect.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #4

Garage
I'm always polite and obedient, never gotten a ticket, or even a warning that went on my record.Cops are usually nice where I live. But if a cop came at me with that attitude, I'd have a hard time not running my mouth
OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #5

Yup, I have had the same thing happen to me as well. I was on a single lane feeder about to get on the entrance ramp to a major highway when he flashed me. I decided to get out of the feeder lane went past the entrance ramp and pulled onto the shoulder. I definitely heard it from him. I was as polite as I could be but he was really annoyed that I didn't pull over RIGHT AWAY and that I proceeded to drive less than a 100 yards in concern for his safety and the safety of other fellow drivers/vehicles on the road. I felt under-appreciated.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #6

Different areas have different rules I'm sure - but in my neck of the woods you are expected to pull over asap when those lights come on.
As to safety - the officer for one has already factored that in when he turned on his lights and two, most areas have a law that if you see a police car pulled over with his lights on - you must slow down and give him room.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
Hand on the gun frequently. Always cracks me up too. Morning commute, pull over a 50 year old white guy for a traffic infraction and approach the pickup in a gunfighter stance.
I'm a 50 year old black guy, and the 4 times I have been stopped in my life, I was approached with hand on gun! The cops were fine after reaching the window or the side of the motorcycle, except once.
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #8

My single ticket in life I drove a mile and a half before getting off the freeway to pull over with the cop behind me the entire time.

I don't feel like dying while getting a ticket because somebody crashes into the back of us. The cop if they have any brains should appreciate it too.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #9

I had a DPS moron pull me over for speeding only got a warning. Having a great radar detector kept him from getting a lock. All he could do was give a warning and kept asking me who's car is this? Was a total ASS and I said it's mine cant you see the name is the same on the insurance paperwork as my drivers license. LOL
DaveT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 AM   #10

I've always tried to pull over immediately, depending on which lane I was in. I did have one officer tell me on his loudspeaker to continue further until we came to a wider and safer area. I think most officers will do the same if they don't want you to pull over immediately.
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #11

was this a small town cop? A big city cop encounters what you did all the time.
And the lights do not protect him on the side a road from a distracted driver.

I was in your situation once too. I was pulled over after pulling away from a light on a busy intersection. I had a feeling he was going to pull me over for the no front license plate as I spotted him on the left on the other side of the red light. But on my immediate right after the light I noticed a Dunkin Donuts. So I pulled into the lot and parked directly in front of the entrance. Rolled down all windows as per usual, told my passenger to keep their hands up high and visible as per usual. Had my docs out before the cop even got out of his car. He took two glances at my ID, asked about the plate and said "all right get on that" and went right into the Dunkin Donuts.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #12

Yet there is specific advice given to women that they have the right to drive to a safe well lighted place. There are police impersonators who prey on women. If I were in this situation, I'd drive to a safe place but put my blinkers on so he knew I was acknowledging his signal.

I think this guy was just on a power trip. But I sure wouldn't want to have that job and I "Yes Sir" them and defuse where I can.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
My single ticket in life I drove a mile and a half before getting off the freeway to pull over with the cop behind me the entire time.

I don't feel like dying while getting a ticket because somebody crashes into the back of us. The cop if they have any brains should appreciate it too.
Amen to that line of reasoning. With all these fools (many of whom I fear are probably not all that good at driving to begin with) pecking away at their cell phones at speed, I think getting away from the highway would be considered to be doing everyone a favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
I'm a 50 year old black guy, and the 4 times I have been stopped in my life, I was approached with hand on gun! The cops were fine after reaching the window or the side of the motorcycle, except once.
Care to elaborate on the "except once" part? It's totally cool if not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Rolled down all windows as per usual, told my passenger to keep their hands up high and visible as per usual. Had my docs out before the cop even got out of his car.
Keeping hands visible is always a good practice..with all the crazies out there these days, it's understandable that law enforcement maybe gets nervous if they see you rooting around in the glove box, under your seat, etc. after being pulled over---which they presumably can see you do while they call in your tag numbers. Which raises the question: Is it good to have your documents out and waiting, or is it better to wait until he's standing outside your window before you start to look? I'll have to remember to ask if/when I'm next pulled over
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #14

Fwiw

My Stepson is a cop, my best friend is a cop...they always want you to drive a reasonable distance so the stop is safe. Heck I have driven 1/8 of a mile before stopping before and no problem and no ticket......yet
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #15

The last time I was pulled over was on a two lane bridge. He was coming toward me when he "lit me up" I got to the end of the bridge pulled over and waited for him to turn around and get me. He came flying over the bridge then had to hit his brakes hard as he almost drove past me. As I waited for him I got my reg and license out. He was not happy he didn't get to "chase me". As he was in his patrol car running all my info a female officer in another car showed up. She approached my car with her hand on her gun and was what I would call jittery and nervous. This made me very nervous. I asked if there was a problem and she asked me why I was so nervous. I told her " I'm nervous because you have your hand on your gun and you are a bit jittery and look unsure of yourself. I don't want to get shot." About that same time the other officer came back with my ticket and we ended the stop. I have a concealed weapons permit and been pulled over while carrying and NEVER felt unsafe after letting the officer know I was armed and where the gun was. I was unarmed this stop and was a bit nervous that I was going to be shot by his "back up" On a positive note he did cut me a big break on what my ticket should have been. (It still hurt)
keysguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:16 AM   #16

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
last time i was pulled over the cop car (unmarked) had this tiny little blue/red light above his mirror and the sun was reflecting off the glass right where the light was. i also couldn't hear his siren as it wasn't very loud and i had the top off. i drove for about 3 miles before i finally saw that it was a cop (he was riding my ass). when i explained the above, he just said "yeah i know, it's not a good pursuit car" then let me go.

their questions are all just baiting you to admit guilt to something. i don't put up with their crap any more. i have a good lawyer and i don't answer their questions.

O: "where are you coming from?"
ME: point thump behind me "back that-a-way"
O: "where are you going?"
ME: point out the windshield "up this-a-way"
(where you're coming from or going to has nothing to do with why he pulled you over)

O: "this your car?"
ME: "does the name on the registration match the name on my license?"
O: "yep"
ME: "then what do you think?"

O: "what's the hurry?"
ME: "no hurry at all" (i usually leave for work an hour early so i really am in no hurry, i just drive fast)

O: "i stopped you for speeding"
ME: "was i speeding?"
O: "yes, weren't you watching your speedometer?"
ME: "no, i was watching the other cars on the road. that seemed safer."

just F' with them. it's only a ticket.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:14 AM   #17
Yeast Rancher

In the Atlanta area there have been thugs pretending to be cops pull people over. It's suggested you pull over in a place where you feel comfortable, where people are around if you are suspicious.

I always have a gun in my car. When I am approached by a LEO, my hands are on the steering wheel and I tell them I am armed.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #18

[QUOTE=Frodo;433082]Amen to that line of reasoning. With all these fools (many of whom I fear are probably not all that good at driving to begin with) pecking away at their cell phones at speed, I think getting away from the highway would be considered to be doing everyone a favor.

Sure. I was driving to my girlfriends place after a 10:30 pm hockey game. Noticed I was being followed by a cop, so I wasn't speeding. They pulled me over on a side street close to her house. 1 cop approached the driver side window, the second stood at the back of the car, with his hand on his gun. The officer asked where I was going, and where I had come from, so not wanting to be a smart ass, I told him, to my girlfriends and from hockey. I guess he didn't believe that black guys play hockey, cause he asked for me to get out of the car. When I asked him why was when the trouble began. They called for a second car, ordered me out of the car, cuffed me and placed me in the back of the cruiser. They then pulled my hockey bag out of the car and dumped it on the road, and went through everything! When they didn't find anything, they let me out of the car and left. My equipment still on the road. I actually took the car number down, and went the next morning to complain about an improper search, because they opened my locked trunk, without my consent. I was told about 3 months later that they were having a problem with drug trafficking in the area, and that they were cracking down. The officer was given an official reprimand, that would remain in his file. I guess I look more like a drug dealer than a hockey player!
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #19

[QUOTE=pony13ca;433788]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Amen to that line of reasoning. With all these fools (many of whom I fear are probably not all that good at driving to begin with) pecking away at their cell phones at speed, I think getting away from the highway would be considered to be doing everyone a favor.

Sure. I was driving to my girlfriends place after a 10:30 pm hockey game. Noticed I was being followed by a cop, so I wasn't speeding. They pulled me over on a side street close to her house. 1 cop approached the driver side window, the second stood at the back of the car, with his hand on his gun. The officer asked where I was going, and where I had come from, so not wanting to be a smart ass, I told him, to my girlfriends and from hockey. I guess he didn't believe that black guys play hockey, cause he asked for me to get out of the car. When I asked him why was when the trouble began. They called for a second car, ordered me out of the car, cuffed me and placed me in the back of the cruiser. They then pulled my hockey bag out of the car and dumped it on the road, and went through everything! When they didn't find anything, they let me out of the car and left. My equipment still on the road. I actually took the car number down, and went the next morning to complain about an improper search, because they opened my locked trunk, without my consent. I was told about 3 months later that they were having a problem with drug trafficking in the area, and that they were cracking down. The officer was given an official reprimand, that would remain in his file. I guess I look more like a drug dealer than a hockey player!
From Toronto!! Everyones a hockey player in our area of the world.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:56 AM   #20

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
You guys just have to learn to make friends

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote