Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
mat
stealth997

check out my stealth 997

I wanted to share my story of what I think is the coolest Porsche I've seen- it's my 03Boxster, which is really a stealth 997. It started with my search for a used Boxster. I've always been drawn to the early model Boxster styling because to me it evokes the classic lines of the iconic 356 Speedsters. I started looking for a used Boxster and became ware that a common problem was the IMS bearing issue. I decided to purchase an 03 from MB Motorsports because they had a good reputation of correcting these issues at a reasonable cost. I drove the car for about a year and loved the styling and smooth handling, but with the 2.7 liter, I was always hoping for more power.

I called Martin at MB and asked if he'd be willing to take on a special project for my car - swapping a 997 3.6 liter engine for my 2.7. I had done a little research and found that this was possible and thought Martin would be the perfect guy for the job: he loves all things Porsche and has a very detailed, methodic mind-set. He liked my idea and then spent the next couple months rebuilding the car from the inside out. I learned a lot in this process, especially the value of keeping all parts completely stock. It helped to have a donor Cayman S to harvest a transmission, exhaust system, coolant lines, etc. I now have what I consider the best of both worlds: the iconic styling of a Porsche roadster with the awesome power of a 3.6 liter 997.

I have yet to dyno the car as we're still working on some details, but I am interested in seeing what the numbers are. Martin is advising me to keep it under 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles to break in the re-built 997, but I can say that the torque response is unbelievable at even low rpms with a quick shift of the new 6-speed. Can't wait to let it run this summer. In the meantime, we're beefing up the brakes with Carrera calipers and rotors to handle the new power my little roadster kicks out.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who has done this conversion to check out your car and compare notes.

Pictures to come!!

Here is a list of what we did to the car:

1. Replaced 2.7 L engine with 3.6 L from 997 Carrera. Original 3.6 L engine had IMS failure, completely disassembled, and rebuilt, with IMS roller bearing upgrade installed.
2. Installed Cayman S intakes.
3. Modified (to fit 986) air filter from Cayman S.
4. Engine harness had been modified to work with the 3.6 L engine, as 986 engines don't have the valve regulator.
5. New DME (engine computer) from 996 has been programmed to work with the Boxter.
6. Cayman S catalytic converters and complete exhaust has been installed.
7. Cayman S 6-speed manual transmission.
8. Shifter lines from Cayman S
9. Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate from Cayman S.
10. Joint flanges were custom made on CNC machine to fit the 986.
11. Now working on installing custom painted (918 acid green calipers) Carrera 996 brake calipers, discs, and pads.
12. Cayman S 19 custom powder painted rims with brand new tires.

Last edited by mat; 02-01-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #2

Sounds really cool, let's see those pictures!
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

We have one rule here; pic's or it never happened. Can't wait to see them!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #4
mat
stealth997

I hear you. This is my first post and I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of the photos..
Old 01-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat View Post
I hear you. This is my first post and I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of the photos..
How much is MB motorsports, or whatever their name is now, paying you to post this story?? :dance:
Old 01-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #6

Pics, dynos, and cost of this project please.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
mat
stealth997

Uploaded some pics of 997 conversion process

I'm new to this but want to say that I'm not representing the shop that did it but Martin's a great mechanic and a friend, so I'm not sure what Byprodriver means by what he posted. Right now, we're working on the brake calipers and I'm doing them in 918 acid green, found a Lamborghini Mura color that pretty much exactly matches the 918 color, so I'll be able to show the whole car when done soon. Should be a cool look with the titanium rims. Here's some process pics I figured how to upload:

Old 01-25-2015, 04:44 AM   #8
Beginner

Garage
Ignore the sniping - that happens a lot around here. Looks great, keep us posted. More details would be appreciated, particularly the bit about updating the wiring harness for the valve regulator and DME. I'd be interested in doing something similar in the future. And before anyone asks, no, I was not paid for this post (see what I mean about the sniping).
Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
mat
stealth997

Thanks for the insight.. I know they modified a stock wiring harness and we had to buy a new Carrera DME from Porsche to get the settings right. I can ask more about the electrical and get back with specifics. I remember this being a tricky part of the whole conversion. That and the axle flanges, which were re-machined on a CNC machine.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #10

I'd like to know rough costs and time for the motor work. MB has advertised a few engines that I've thought about buying "just in case" but it seems like they usually have them around so probably not an issue.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:40 AM   #11

Garage
Like others, I am curious on the cost as well and of course the more pics the better Sounds like a fantastic project! How many miles were on the 03 when made the swap? Congrats and welcome to the forum
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #12
mat
stealth997

I'll have more pictures after we install the brakes, hopefully within a couple weeks. Here's a breakdown of the costs. Some are labeled "misc" because I forgot what was attributed to in my notes:

Re-built 2006 997 3.6 L engine............................................ ..11,000
Credit for my 2.7 L (rebuilt with about 5,000 miles).................(4,000)
Parts and labor on engine work (includes Cayman S exhaust).....2,500
New 996 ECU from Porsche........................................... ..........2,100
Transmission from Cayman S................................................. .2,000
Wheels from Cayman S and powder coat..................................1,900
Credit for trade in old wheels............................................ .......(700)
CNC machined axle flanges........................................... ..........500
New water lines............................................. .........................500
Misc.............................................. ........................................400
Bridgestone Potenzas (4)............................................... ........1,000
Carrrera brakes, calipers, rotors............................................ .1,500
total............................................. .....................................18,700

it added up, but I think it was worth it!