View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
mat
stealth997

check out my stealth 997

I wanted to share my story of what I think is the coolest Porsche I've seen- it's my 03Boxster, which is really a stealth 997. It started with my search for a used Boxster. I've always been drawn to the early model Boxster styling because to me it evokes the classic lines of the iconic 356 Speedsters. I started looking for a used Boxster and became ware that a common problem was the IMS bearing issue. I decided to purchase an 03 from MB Motorsports because they had a good reputation of correcting these issues at a reasonable cost. I drove the car for about a year and loved the styling and smooth handling, but with the 2.7 liter, I was always hoping for more power.

I called Martin at MB and asked if he'd be willing to take on a special project for my car - swapping a 997 3.6 liter engine for my 2.7. I had done a little research and found that this was possible and thought Martin would be the perfect guy for the job: he loves all things Porsche and has a very detailed, methodic mind-set. He liked my idea and then spent the next couple months rebuilding the car from the inside out. I learned a lot in this process, especially the value of keeping all parts completely stock. It helped to have a donor Cayman S to harvest a transmission, exhaust system, coolant lines, etc. I now have what I consider the best of both worlds: the iconic styling of a Porsche roadster with the awesome power of a 3.6 liter 997.

I have yet to dyno the car as we're still working on some details, but I am interested in seeing what the numbers are. Martin is advising me to keep it under 4000 rpm for the first 1000 miles to break in the re-built 997, but I can say that the torque response is unbelievable at even low rpms with a quick shift of the new 6-speed. Can't wait to let it run this summer. In the meantime, we're beefing up the brakes with Carrera calipers and rotors to handle the new power my little roadster kicks out.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who has done this conversion to check out your car and compare notes.

Pictures to come!!

Here is a list of what we did to the car:

1. Replaced 2.7 L engine with 3.6 L from 997 Carrera. Original 3.6 L engine had IMS failure, completely disassembled, and rebuilt, with IMS roller bearing upgrade installed.
2. Installed Cayman S intakes.
3. Modified (to fit 986) air filter from Cayman S.
4. Engine harness had been modified to work with the 3.6 L engine, as 986 engines don't have the valve regulator.
5. New DME (engine computer) from 996 has been programmed to work with the Boxter.
6. Cayman S catalytic converters and complete exhaust has been installed.
7. Cayman S 6-speed manual transmission.
8. Shifter lines from Cayman S
9. Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate from Cayman S.
10. Joint flanges were custom made on CNC machine to fit the 986.
11. Now working on installing custom painted (918 acid green calipers) Carrera 996 brake calipers, discs, and pads.
12. Cayman S 19 custom powder painted rims with brand new tires.

Last edited by mat; 02-01-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
mat is offline   Reply With Quote