Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 229
Apple Carplay in the Boxster?

Hi,

Has anyone installed the hardware and enabled carplay in their 986's yet? Has anyone even debated it and figured out the pros/cons etc?

Should be like installing any other double din receiver I suppose. I use an iphone and I think this would be a pretty nice upgrade in my opinion!!

Installing Apple CarPlay and Taking It For a Spin - Consumer Reports News

Cheers,
Amit

__________________
2001 Seal Gray Boxster (Hair Salon on wheels)
2013 Audi Q5 (Family Mover)
2006 Yamaha R1 (Adrenaline Machine)

Last edited by amitmishra4; 01-12-2015 at 12:49 PM.
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,505
Garage
I did this instead:
Ipad mini in-dash installation

Works great and I highly recommend it! With that said, I am looking for a CarPlay receiver for my truck. So far I have only seen Alpine and Pioneer models which have not impressed me. Still waiting.
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:42 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 229
Very nice! I really like the iPad mini installation and functionality much better, but it also means that I will require to buy an iPad with GSM/LTE and also add another data plan to be able to use navigation. With carplay, you can use the Apple Maps app and use your existing data plan for your phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I did this instead:
Ipad mini in-dash installation

Works great and I highly recommend it! With that said, I am looking for a CarPlay receiver for my truck. So far I have only seen Alpine and Pioneer models which have not impressed me. Still waiting.
__________________
2001 Seal Gray Boxster (Hair Salon on wheels)
2013 Audi Q5 (Family Mover)
2006 Yamaha R1 (Adrenaline Machine)
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,505
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Very nice! I really like the iPad mini installation and functionality much better, but it also means that I will require to buy an iPad with GSM/LTE and also add another data plan to be able to use navigation. With carplay, you can use the Apple Maps app and use your existing data plan for your phone.
You can always use your phone as a hot spot. I bought a used iPad mini which makes this an economical install. In the end you have a much more capable system. I do like the CarPlay concept though and look forward to having it in my truck.
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 229
Reviving this since my interest has really piqued in this now - This is my next project.

BruceH, unfortunately I have the unlimited data plan with AT&T and they don't let you use the hot spot feature unless you switch to a limited data plan. I don't want to leave my unlimited data plan yet.

Pioneer has some sets out that are carplay enabled:
Pioneer CarPlay
__________________
2001 Seal Gray Boxster (Hair Salon on wheels)
2013 Audi Q5 (Family Mover)
2006 Yamaha R1 (Adrenaline Machine)
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Registered User
 
jpc763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Reviving this since my interest has really piqued in this now - This is my next project.

BruceH, unfortunately I have the unlimited data plan with AT&T and they don't let you use the hot spot feature unless you switch to a limited data plan. I don't want to leave my unlimited data plan yet.

Pioneer has some sets out that are carplay enabled:
Pioneer CarPlay
I have done the install. I have a 4000NEX receiver with CarPlay and App radio. I never use AppRadio and use CarPlay a lot.

What questions do you have?

John
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 229
Thanks for responding - here are the questions I have in my head, since you asked

Is it a straightforward install? Does it require any modifications to the bezel or other parts? Did you do it yourself?
How does the data for carplay work? I assume through the phone, but does it use your existing data plan?
I read that it does not pair over bluetooth so it requires re-pairing everytime. If so, how do you make/answer calls?
Is there an included mike on the carplay unit?
Are there a lot of carplay apps out there?
If you had to do it again, would you install it or get an ipad mini instead?

Thanks in advance.

Amit



Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post
I have done the install. I have a 4000NEX receiver with CarPlay and App radio. I never use AppRadio and use CarPlay a lot.

What questions do you have?

John
__________________
2001 Seal Gray Boxster (Hair Salon on wheels)
2013 Audi Q5 (Family Mover)
2006 Yamaha R1 (Adrenaline Machine)
amitmishra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
Registered User
 
jpc763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Thanks for responding - here are the questions I have in my head, since you asked
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Is it a straightforward install?
It is relatively straightforward if you do your homework. There is a lot of info out there to help you do the install. I would recommend that you buy a housing that comes with a wiring harness. Here is one of my threads Installing Pioneer AVH 4000NEX with Euro Motorsport Double DIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Does it require any modifications to the bezel or other parts?
The Euromotorsport housing comes with a bezel and it drops in quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Did you do it yourself?
I did the install myself. It took a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
How does the data for carplay work? I assume through the phone, but does it use your existing data plan?
It uses your data plan. If you stream (Spotify) you use data. If you use their GPS app, you use data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
I read that it does not pair over bluetooth so it requires re-pairing everytime. If so, how do you make/answer calls?
My radio connects via bluetooth if I do not plug the phone in. It is seamless. I am not sure about other models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Is there an included mike on the carplay unit?
The pioneer unit had a mike that I wired up. It works great, even with the top down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Are there a lot of carplay apps out there?
I would not say a LOT. Here is the current list. https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
If you had to do it again, would you install it or get an ipad mini instead?
I would do it again. Unless there is a kit for the iPad, I think that I would have had a much harder time installing.
__________________
2001 Boxster S - Midnight Blue Metalic
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,505
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmishra4 View Post
Thanks for responding - here are the questions I have in my head, since you asked

Is it a straightforward install? Does it require any modifications to the bezel or other parts? Did you do it yourself?
How does the data for carplay work? I assume through the phone, but does it use your existing data plan?
I read that it does not pair over bluetooth so it requires re-pairing everytime. If so, how do you make/answer calls?
Is there an included mike on the carplay unit?
Are there a lot of carplay apps out there?
If you had to do it again, would you install it or get an ipad mini instead?

Thanks in advance.

Amit
I just installed the Poneer 6100NEX in my truck and it is excellent. The touch screen is very responsive. Since you can't use your phone as a hotspot, then get the Pioneer and plug your phone in to use your phone's data plan. The built in GPS is good or you can use Apple maps. Get the proper Metra wiring harness to make the installation simpler. Like JPC763 said, get the Euro Motorsport install kit. The mic that comes with the Pioneer works well. Your phone will connect via blutooth for music and phone calls, but to use CarPlay, and the CarPlay screen, you have to connect via USB/lightning cable. I would not have any regrets installing a Pioneer AVIC 6100NEX into my Boxster rather than the iPad mini. Here is a link to what I got for my truck:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SKJH6EQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
Registered User
 
jpc763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 333
One thing that irritated me about the Pioneer is that if you want to use App Radio, you need to use USB1 and the HDMI input. If you want to use Car Play than you also have to use USB1 but not the HDMI.

Since I did not want a bunch of cables hanging out of my dash (there is also USB2 and Aux), I got a couple of adapters and mounted them in my cubby.

Here are a couple of pics.


__________________
2001 Boxster S - Midnight Blue Metalic
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
I just installed the Poneer 6100NEX in my truck and it is excellent. The touch screen is very responsive. Since you can't use your phone as a hotspot, then get the Pioneer and plug your phone in to use your phone's data plan. The built in GPS is good or you can use Apple maps. Get the proper Metra wiring harness to make the installation simpler. Like JPC763 said, get the Euro Motorsport install kit. The mic that comes with the Pioneer works well. Your phone will connect via blutooth for music and phone calls, but to use CarPlay, and the CarPlay screen, you have to connect via USB/lightning cable. I would not have any regrets installing a Pioneer AVIC 6100NEX into my Boxster rather than the iPad mini. Here is a link to what I got for my truck:
Amazon.com : Pioneer AVIC-6100NEX In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 6.2" WVGA Touchscreen Display : Electronics
If you had to choose one over the other, which would it be? The iPad is much lighter and....
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Fintro11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post
One thing that irritated me about the Pioneer is that if you want to use App Radio, you need to use USB1 and the HDMI input. If you want to use Car Play than you also have to use USB1 but not the HDMI.

Since I did not want a bunch of cables hanging out of my dash (there is also USB2 and Aux), I got a couple of adapters and mounted them in my cubby.

Here are a couple of pics.


I like the look of that , i was going to hard wire my radar detector but then though I would lose the smart cord.
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,505
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
If you had to choose one over the other, which would it be? The iPad is much lighter and....
That is a tough question! The ipad is more capable since it can use any Apple app and CarPlay has a very limited number of apps. But...how many apps are you really going to use while you are driving? Reality is, most of the time, music, phone and maps which CarPlay does very well with nice big buttons that are easy to see. You can not make the app buttons larger on the mini even though it has the bigger screen. Also, with the mini, you still need a head unit where with the Pioneer, you will gain a cubby. During the summer months with the top down, ocaisonally, the iPad will overheat and shutdown. The other irritation is if the car sits for a few days, the iPad continues to drain so you may jump in your car and the iPad will be dead, coming to life after about 10 minutes of driving.

You can see, there are pluses and minuses. I installed my mini before CarPlay was even announced so it wasn't an option at that time. Fast forward to today and I think if given the choice, I would get the Pioneer. It works really well, better actually than I expected. I drove my truck today for some errands just because I wanted to play with the new Pioneer and it continues to impress me. The mini looks fantastic and works great too, so for now, it will stay, I really do like the mini install and it is not hard to do, it just isn't as seamless and easy as installing an all in one HU. One other note, if you are using the stock Porsche radio, it will keep the iPad charged continuously. The single DIN Pioneer HU that I am now using, only charges when the ignition is on. I bought the Pioneer a year and a half ago to get hands free calling. If you want a back up camera, the Pioneer is the way to go since there really is not any great option for a back up camera for the mini. Again, it really is a tough choice, but in the end, if I was doing the install today, I would probably go with the Pioneer, notice I said probably
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,505
Garage
Here is what my truck install looks like. I picked up the USB/Audio jacks on eBay, they fit the Tundra openings perfectly.





__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #15
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,358
I really like the seamless look of the IPad in the 986 ....looks clean and flush. I would probably want a switch to prevent charging all the time. Do you really need the Becker to charge with car off or can this be easily done if one wishes?

I was hoping not use a HU at all.....a Parrot amp and FM radio ap or something

My lower dins will be full.

The pioneer really suits the Tundra dash but would it work as well the Boxster...not sure. What are the USB ports for?????
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks

Last edited by jaykay; 07-02-2015 at 08:15 PM.
jaykay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delaware
Posts: 142
Has anyone used a reciever with MirrorLink? This thread got me searching and I came across the alpine ics x7hd, with the capability to mirror your phone on the reciever touchscreen. Wondering if there's any lag.

I like the simplicity of apple but I like my soundcloud and waze too much.
bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #17
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,505
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I really like the seamless look of the IPad in the 986 ....looks clean and flush. I would probably want a switch to prevent charging all the time. Do you really need the Becker to charge with car off or can this be easily done if one wishes?

I was hoping not use a HU at all.....a Parrot amp and FM radio ap or something

My lower dins will be full.

The pioneer really suits the Tundra dash but would it work as well the Boxster...not sure. What are the USB ports for?????
I love the look too, it really looks great in person. I am not sure how you would keep the Becker from always charging the iPad. I thought about just an amp also, but buying a single DIN HU was the easiest way to get handsfree calling. If you are going to run a radio app, keep in mind that you will need a data plan.

Yes, it does fit the Tundra well, Metra makes a great surround piece that looks OEM. The USB ports are for iPhone/android phone/music player/flash drive etc connection. Remember, for CarPlay to work, it has to be a wired connection. You can play music via Bluetooth but with out the CarPlay interface.There is an HDMI port on the back of the pioneer that I do not have connected. The unit also has a DVD player that you can use while driving via a software bypass. No, I do not recommend watching movies while driving, but listening to a concert DVD is a nice deal.
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Since you can't use your phone as a hotspot, then get the Pioneer and plug your phone in to use your phone's data plan
AT&T allow tethering with unlimited data plans?
seems like they are the most militant carrier against data sharing for unlimited users.
For limited data plans this car play sounds like a boondoggle for all the carriers. Or do they let you share your limit cap with the car play?

I was looking up the data plans in the new GM wifi cars and it was a good laugh. You won't be streaming video very long with only 1 GB. And going up to only 5 GB (forget HD video) will cost you $70 after you add in the OnStar fees. Which really underlines the importance of SD cards for tablets in family cars. Or pay the pricey premium for more storage if SD card is blocked. Actually I won't buy any mobile device without SD card support and I actually have unlimited Verizon data. I switched from T-Mobile to get in on the unlimited before they ended those plans. I had a feeling that 4G LTE was going to be a big data sucker. But luckily Verizon cant throttle you if your on unlimited because of the spectrum deal they agreed to with the FCC.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-03-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #19
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,505
Garage
Most people have unlimited data plans which is what CarPlay uses. You have to hook your phone up to the HU using the Lightning cable, which then initiates CarPlay and uses your unlimited phone plan.

My reference to using your phone as a hot spot refers to having an iPad mini installed and then using your phones data plan to provide data to the iPad. Three ways to go, sign up with your carrier and pay the monthly fee along with the data cap, jailbreak your phone and use an app that uses your phone's unlimited data plan, or buy a data plan for the iPad. I have a $15/month data plan for the iPad. Not sure exactly what my limit is, I believe I have 5gb's but I have not ever exceeded my limit.
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:55 AM   #20
Registered User
 
jpc763's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
I like the look of that , i was going to hard wire my radar detector but then though I would lose the smart cord.
You can buy a hardwired smart cord. That is what I have. It is wired into the Aux Phone power.

__________________
2001 Boxster S - Midnight Blue Metalic
jpc763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page