Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

IMS bearing removal without special tool??

Hi, I am in the process of replacing my IMS bearing with a new one from LN. In doing research I have not come across any info on anyone removing the bearing without the special tool from LN.. I was curious if anyone has had any success in removal WITHOUT the special tool, and if so. How did you go about removal?

Thanks

nmdarby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #2

Hi,

just build your own special tool.

Regards
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #3

@small block

You wouldn't happen to have a step by step procedure of that fabrication would you? haha
Old 01-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdarby54 View Post
Hi, I am in the process of replacing my IMS bearing with a new one from LN. In doing research I have not come across any info on anyone removing the bearing without the special tool from LN.. I was curious if anyone has had any success in removal WITHOUT the special tool, and if so. How did you go about removal?

Thanks
It is not just a matter of getting the old bearing out, you also have to get the new one in without killing it. As some have actually gotten themselves in trouble using the correct tools but not following the correct procedure's, you would be well advised to get both the tools and instructions and do it correctly. You can always resell the tools later.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
I remember a few years ago when a DIY wrench tried to replace the IMS with out the tools or procedure. He meticulously documented as he FUBAR'd his motor. It was like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

Clue: Get the tools and if you don't have the knowhow or talent, hire it. Once the trans is out of the way it is maybe 2 hrs labor for a skilled tech.

Last edited by Topless; 01-02-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
pjq

I didn't use the special tool, I just removed my engine took it apart and sent the IMS to LN and they pinned and installed a triple row bearing. No special tool required!! haaaaaa!
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #7

Break down and buy the tool. I have done the R & R, to try to save a few bucks (and I'm the world's original cheap arse) would be pound wise penny foolish, Good Luck......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
Beginner

Garage
I'd suggest getting the removal and installation tool. I did make my own tools for a single row bearing and they were barely adequate with the engine out of the car. I managed to damage the first replacement bearing shield installing it due to inadequate tooling and had to replace it. Not a big deal with the engine out, but if the engine was in the car it might have been a nightmare. The removal tool is the all thread / PVC / moulding blade combo (How's that for cheap!). The hook on the end is a threaded rod connector modified with an angle grinder and a torch to fit under the IMS nut.
This was barely adequate to pull a single row bearing, it is doubtful it would work for a double row bearing. The gray rings are what is left od a PVC fitting used for installation, and as stated earlier, I dinged the shield with it on the first bearing. Anybody guess what the bent screwdriver is for?

Old 01-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #9

I think the relevant question is, given the relatively low cost of the tooling, why exactly don't you want to buy the proper tools?
Old 01-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I think the relevant question is, given the relatively low cost of the tooling, why exactly don't you want to buy the proper tools?
There's always a sense of achievement (and scratching the cheap bone at the same time). That's how I typically get myself into trouble.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjq View Post
I didn't use the special tool, I just removed my engine took it apart and sent the IMS to LN and they pinned and installed a triple row bearing. No special tool required!! haaaaaa!
How much did LN charge you to pin your shaft and install that three row bearing?

To the OP, on Wayne's site he shows use of a gear puller to remove the bearing. The tools sure do make it an easy job.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #12

Actually I didn't mean you James. I've seen enough of your posts to know that this kind of thing is well within your abilities. If you were my next door neighbor I'd be pestering you for help all the time (be glad you're not!). I asked the question to learn a bit more about the OP as, given that he only has 2 posts so far, we don't know yet whether he is a kick-azz home wrench that could actually pull this off, or just another guy that reads too many magazines.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #13
Registered Boxster abuser

Find someone to rent or borrow the tool from if you can not see it being advantageous to buy one. Or buy one and just resell on the forum at a lessor price once you are done.

Oh and if you do find someone to borrow the tool off of, do not keep the tool for extended periods thinking its no big deal. It the reason peeople do not loan tools out.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Last edited by healthservices; 01-04-2015 at 09:31 AM.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #14

**************************************** rents out tools for the R/R as I was looking for a reasonable solution. Think they charge $75 with core charge of $200. I assume you get back the 200 when you return the tools. Just purchased my 1st S model and thought of doing IMS but decided to put off till clutch time.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:49 AM   #15

I sold mine on eBay for what I paid to purchase it. Consider the shipping a 'rental fee' and be done with it.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #16

I have to imagine that any chance of a claim, should there be a part or engine failure, must go right out the window when you admit to having deliberately refused usage of the required tools.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:37 AM   #17

Just curious as to whether or not it had been done before. Completed new rms and Ims install along with new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate that will be going on today..

Also check out the old clutch.

Haven't driven the car yet, it needed a new clutch upon purchase.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #18

Not sure why you're in there. That clutch has at least another 20 yards in it.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #19
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
Not sure why you're in there. That clutch has at least another 20 yards in it.
sorry Flaps, you are wrong

At least 25 yards, especially if coasting downhill
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #20

That had to be chattering like crazy.

Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote