Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotoole View Post
Odd thing:
My 2000 base Boxster with plastic rear window has the plug-in connector for the rear window defroster already in place. Appears to be original equipment.
Fortunately, for those who retrofit a soft top with glass and defroster, Porsche put the plug there for the defroster in the optional hard top.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:25 AM   #22
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Odd thing:
My 2000 base Boxster with plastic rear window has the plug-in connector for the rear window defroster already in place. Appears to be original equipment.
I think the switch should also be on the dash as well. It was (at that point) for the hardtop's defroster.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #23

Garage
I recently had my plastic window replaced for $450. I do the chop, put a soft cloth in between before lowering it. I live in RI so usually once the top goes down it stays down till the fall. I don't drive it in the winter. I also bought a conditioning kit for the rear window to keep it pliable. If I had a choice I would prefer a glass rear window so I don't have to have it replaced but as others have stated a well documented car goes a long way.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I think the switch should also be on the dash as well. It was (at that point) for the hardtop's defroster.
The outside mirrors are also heated and controlled by that switch.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 12-24-2014, 06:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Even though I keep the top down 90% of the time, the glass top is a huge plus. I put an '03 top on my '01. The glass rear window, for me, was a huge improvement. It offered a clearer view, looked better and no more "Boxster chop".
Forgive my ignorance but what is "Boxster chop"?
bwillia080261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillia080261 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what is "Boxster chop"?
It is where you manually push the plastic window in while you are closing it to ensure that it folds correctly when closed.

Here is a YouTube video showing the procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwnwmtyScQY

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavis.d View Post
I had a plastic rear screen that cracked and recently changed it for a 2003/4 glass screen. Straight swap took about 3 hrs and is much better. Looked at aftermarket replacement roofs but went oem
Wow 3 hours is great. I read the chapter in the 100 projects website and it looked like a bigger job than that. Did you replace the top and frame or just the top. Can you share the cost?
DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #28
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Boxster View Post
Wow 3 hours is great. I read the chapter in the 100 projects website and it looked like a bigger job than that. Did you replace the top and frame or just the top. Can you share the cost?
The 1997-2002 and 2003-2004 frames are different. The late frame has an extra bow in the rear.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Boxster View Post
I paid $1100 for my 04 top and frame from Oklahoma Foreign. Fortunately, I was able to re-sell my top and frame for $500 so the net cost wasn't too bad.

As noted in the previous posts, you can buy a replacement glass top only and put in on a 97-02 frame. The window is smaller and some people state that this arrangement restricts access to the engine compartment.

The swap is a relatively quick and easy job. The hard part of the 03-04 swap is finding a good donor top. Only the 03 and 04 cars are potential donors so you are talking about a relatively small pool. I think you can also buy the top and frame from Porsche, but I think I read somewhere that the frame alone would set you back $3-4 thousand.

The other downside is that the fabric on an 03 or 04 donor tops is now 11-12 years old. Mine is starting to develop holes in the area behind the doors. (The glass on the other hand looks like new.)

If you can find a nice 03 or 04 top and frame locally at a good price, you will be happy with the results.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #30

There is an important qualifier missing in the discussion of plastic rear windows. All clear vinyl is NOT the same. Cheap, Asian clear vinyl is often lacking the expensive u.v. inhibitors that prevent yellowing and cracking. It may be both too soft(scratches) and too stiff(splitting when cold).
There is much better quality clear vinyl available. The incremental cost of the best is trivial in the total cost of a window replacement.
If you 'search' you'll find a lengthy catalog I wrote of the various brands available. The short cut is to ensure you get marine vinyl from a reputable boat upholstery shop.
Beware ,it is very difficult for the untrained eye to discern the difference between the junk clear vinyl that many auto upholstery shops use and the best quality marine product.Do it once, do it right?
start here;
Strataglass | The Clear Choice Alternative Solution to Vinyl
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #31

As mentioned...........dont let a plastic window stop you from buying the right Boxster. I found a beautiful 02S with only 34k miles, but it has a plastic window and no glove box. I decided that those 2 factors were minor and got the car and havent regretted it one second. Yes its a pain to do the chop sometimes, but overall a plastic window is nastalgic and reminds me of all the other roadster/converibles I've had in the past (my mother's 61 Aquamarine Impala, my dad's 1969 Caddie, my 66 vette, 69 vette and BMW Z3) When its time for a new top I will get a glass window, but until then I just wash and polish the top and it looks like new with great visability.........As far as not having a glove box thats just fine with me. One less reason for some jerk to break into the car. They dont hold much and it wont rattle if you dont have one. On my Z3 the glovebox drooped so much it was an eyesore.......Good luck.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #32

The Boxster top is a joy to deal with compared to the car I spent most of my high school and college years with. A 1972 Ponitac Catalina convertible with that wonderful GM "Sissor top". You had to hold the switch with a broom handle while tugging and chopping on the material on both sides to get it to fold properly. When the top frame sticks halfway down, stand in the back seat, grab both front corners, jiggle like crazy, then grab the folding Sissor bars and push them to free them up.
Then hit the switch again to finish the drop. Same process going up.
And this was far from unique to my GM car. Burned up a top motor every couple of years. Tops would last 3 years at most.
The Boxster top, even with the plastic window, is bloody brilliant!

Last edited by Retroman1969; 12-27-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #33

When I was looking for my boxster, I was at first only considering 03-04 precisely for the glass rear window. But then I test drove a 2000 which had the glass top retrofit done. That made me think twice about that and expanded my search to include 01-02 as well figuring that price savings from older year could be used toward top retrofit.

Then I found an 01 with 58K miles and plastic rear window that was still exceptionally clear and looked brand new still. I do Appreciate that the plastic window is larger than the glass window especially when lane changing. So glad I expanded my search for good 01-02s.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Go with a glass top, they come with a rear window defroster.
+1 :dance:
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
I find that the roll bars/seat headrests block rear visibility, not the glass rear window.
I totally agree with this. I just replaced my top today with a glass top and I think I can see just as much with the glass window because I could not see much anyways with the roll bar like you said. I am more excited about being able to get the car tinted now since I have a glass window now.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:15 AM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Odd thing:
As already stated that sounds like the harness for the rear speaker package. The plug for the rear window defroster is behind the driver's seat and has a removable cover. It is a rectangular receptacle for the plug in defroster harness and is operated by the heated mirror switch.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by antny View Post
I totally agree with this. I just replaced my top today with a glass top and I think I can see just as much with the glass window because I could not see much anyways with the roll bar like you said. I am more excited about being able to get the car tinted now since I have a glass window now.
Which top did you purchase?
Old 03-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #38

i own both a 00 boxy base and an 05 boxy s. the base has a plastic rear window, and the s has a glass window. when all is said and done they are the same to me. the glass will stay clear longer, but the plastic if kept clean stays clear enough for me to operate the car safely. if i were to replace either top they would maintain their original style top. as far as the boxster chop, i have never done that, and probably won't ever because i have never seen the need to do so. on previous cars both have been also used. usually i have found by the time a plastic window goes bad, it is already time to replace the top in it's entirety. unfortunately, my cars stay outside, so they are exposed to the sun's u/v rays constantly which will accelerate a top's deterioration. my personal advice would be worry more about the car it's self rather than what top is on it.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #39

I haven't had any issues with the visibility from the dimensions of the glass window. I believe that these windows are the same size as they are on the newer models that come with a glass window. My plastic window was also kind of fogged up from age, so the improved clarity was a huge improvement.

The glass window is also more effective at reducing road noise than the plastic window was.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote