986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How important is a glass rear window? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/55180-how-important-glass-rear-window.html)

Finnegan 12-23-2014 11:52 AM

How important is a glass rear window?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to join the ranks of Boxster owners sometime in the next few months. It will be my daily driver. I have been limiting my search to the later models with a glass rear window, but maybe that's not necessary? How would you rate the importance of better visibility out the back, and the added convenience of not having to do the Boxster Karate Chop when putting the top down?

Thanks!

oc-boxster 12-23-2014 12:36 PM

The glass rear windows actually reduce visibility because it's not as large as the plastic windows-also be advised aftermarket glass window tops are available for the pre 2003 cars, they cost 500-600 dollars plus installation. That being said I wouldn't pass up an otherwise clean well documented car just because it has a plastic rear window. I'm about to change the top on my 02 to the glass replacement top.

CraigM 12-23-2014 12:39 PM

I don't mind the plastic rear window. Never done the chop, although window was replaced a couple years before I got it, so maybe it's still soft enough to not be an issue.
As far as visibility - not much room between the roll hoops anyways.
Only drawback to me is that I've heard lowering it in very cold weather is bad for it. I don't lower it when it's in the 30s, but haven't had any issues yet dropping it in the 40s.

But, the glass cars have other features that may also be important to you (cup holders, glovebox, non-amber headlights -- not sure on specific years for all those), so those may all add up.

kk2002s 12-23-2014 01:20 PM

My 02 has a very clear, excellent condition plastic window
When I replace top it will most likely be Glass
My top will need replacement before my Plastic Window
-- Because I do the Chop and it's a pain in the Arse to have to get out to put top down. But it keeps those really ugly and possibly damaging diagonal crease out of the window so its paid of so far
Also you really take a chance on cold temp folding and unfolding of the plastic.

Top engine service:
How much work do you intend to do your self?
I do all my own and go through the top only a few time a year

As said, don't dismiss a good boxster just because of Plastic window

jacabean 12-23-2014 01:35 PM

if you can avoid the plastic rear window you will be much happier . The plastic gets dirty , scratches easy and one wrong fold it will get wrinkled . i have had 3 plastic window porsches and will never buy one with plastic again , still own one ( 996 cab ) . plus the 03 , 04 cars are of much better quality . the motors are much smoother with less chain noise an deliver power better . The interior is a step up and they also have a glove box .

mavis.d 12-23-2014 01:52 PM

I had a plastic rear screen that cracked and recently changed it for a 2003/4 glass screen. Straight swap took about 3 hrs and is much better. Looked at aftermarket replacement roofs but went oem

Finnegan 12-23-2014 02:21 PM

Thanks for all the responses! First-hand experience was exactly what I was looking for.

thstone 12-23-2014 03:49 PM

My original Boxster had a plastic window. When I replaced the top, I got the slightly smaller glass window. Didn't make much difference - view directly out the rear is fine but the 3/4 view is blocked by the top with both types of window.

I never did the chop with my plastic window and never had any problems but it is relatively warm here in LA most of the time.

What made a difference to me was clarity; if the plastic window is yellow, clouded, or scratched, you will appreciate a clear window when you get one. :)

KRAM36 12-23-2014 04:40 PM

Go with a glass top, they come with a rear window defroster.

Joe B 12-23-2014 04:54 PM

I find that the roll bars/seat headrests block rear visibility, not the glass rear window.

Topless 12-23-2014 05:19 PM

Glass window is much nicer. You can add it to any car for less than $1500 so an otherwise perfect car could have a glass window top easily. I would never go back to plastic again.

Swhitcomb 12-23-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 429313)
Go with a glass top, they come with a rear window defroster.

My 02 has a glass window, and this alone makes it worth it to me.

Giller 12-23-2014 06:03 PM

No experience with glass...but no issues with my plastic. The car is meant to be driven with the top down, so most of the time the issue is moot.
If you are going to drive it in the snow, I would think glass would be the better option, although overall, if you find a nice ride with a plastic top, don't let it scare you away.

KevinH1990 12-23-2014 06:34 PM

I have had plastic and I have had glass (transplanted 2004 OEM top and frame). Glass is much nicer. Also, pre-2001 cars with the exception of the 2000S did not have a headliner. So, the OEM glass-window tops are also quieter and seem better finished.

If you live in an ideal convertible climate like Southern California, maybe it doesn't make much difference. But, I see you are from Oregon so I think you will prefer glass.

Good luck with your search

coreseller 12-23-2014 06:52 PM

VERY Important...................

peterbrown77 12-24-2014 01:09 AM

I take the car out of storage in April, and once the top goes down... it stays down until October. If it'going to rain, I don't drive it. Rear window material is a moot point, lol. But if I had to replace it (which I doubt, the top's pristine bc it's garaged and rarely sees daylight) I'd put in glass.

Chuck W. 12-24-2014 02:03 AM

Even though I keep the top down 90% of the time, the glass top is a huge plus. I put an '03 top on my '01. The glass rear window, for me, was a huge improvement. It offered a clearer view, looked better and no more "Boxster chop".

jotoole 12-24-2014 02:46 AM

Odd thing:
My 2000 base Boxster with plastic rear window has the plug-in connector for the rear window defroster already in place. Appears to be original equipment.

Timco 12-24-2014 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 429326)

VERY Important...................

Yep.......

Timco 12-24-2014 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotoole (Post 429340)
Odd thing:
My 2000 base Boxster with plastic rear window has the plug-in connector for the rear window defroster already in place. Appears to be original equipment.

There is a harness behind the passenger seat for the subs to plug into also. May be that. You would need the dash switch.