Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

Another suspension question

I have a base 2000 with 109k that I've had for close to 3 years and put 6k on it. Don't know if the struts were ever changed so plan on doing it soon. I know about the row m030 and it's probably the best option but went to Sunset Imports on Monday and the kit is running around $1425.00. I was graciously given a set of low mile S springs, and wonder if it's better just to get new struts with the s springs. And, if I go the s spring route, what is the best match Bilstein HDs or sports?

I don't track and drive about 2k a year mostly terrorizing the neighborhood.

Thanks in advance.... Let the flaming begin.

jrcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:22 AM   #2

The Bilstein Sports are supposed to be the same struts that come in the M030 kit. In my opinion the M030 is still the best bang for the buck. Go ahead and price up buying four struts, springs , front/rear sway bars and you will see that the kit is a good value. You said you have the springs so that helps but how old/how many miles do those springs have on them ? And don't forget while you are in there there are other suspension pieces along with bushings that should be replaced. You will find out 4K can be spent very quickly, but the car will be transformed. Good luck and don't forget a good alignment.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

The springs are the least expensive component in your suspension refresh project, so getting them free doesn't move the needle much in terms of saving cost.

Since you are replacing the struts/shocks anyway and there is no cost difference between re-using your stock springs or the free S springs; what you're really asking is whether upgrading the sway bars (M030) really makes much of a difference?

M030 owners - Do the sways make a difference and are they worth the extra $400 over new struts/shocks only?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-19-2014 at 07:17 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #4

Garage
Springs rarely degrade unless subjected to serious corrision. I forget what the difference is between "S" & standard springs but I would verify before installing. Sounds like you are a prospect for whichever Bilsteins come with a lifetime warranty. Put the rest of your money into replaceing suspension parts that are easily accessable while the struts are off. With your mileage they all have worn to some degree & will need replacement soon.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #5

I'd suggest you stay with a 'package', either 'S' or ROW M030. Porsche did a lot of testing in order to develop the suspension packages. You are in the 'comfort' set now and a 030 is the other extreme with 'S' in between. Do you want Porsche's best handling package (stiffest)?
When I replaced mine I found significant wear on the FR bar caused by the super duper tuff bushings. Mileage was about 80 K. I would encourage you to replace the strut top bearings as well as this is what allows the strut to rotate and they're under full load at all times ($30each).
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Springs rarely degrade unless subjected to serious corrision.
I DISAGREE. Look at all of the cars that 'settle' as they age. The ride height drops because the spring rate is decreasing. Ever lowered a car expecting a certain decrease in ride height and it didn't happen? Tired springs.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #7

Mahalo! (thank you). I think I'm leaning towards the m030 kit. Anyone interested in S springs?
Old 12-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I DISAGREE. Look at all of the cars that 'settle' as they age. The ride height drops because the spring rate is decreasing. Ever lowered a car expecting a certain decrease in ride height and it didn't happen? Tired springs.
Performance cars I have experienced, that are reasonably maintained & not grossly overloaded, settle less than a inch in 10 years. Leaf springs are a different story.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
The Bilstein Sports are supposed to be the same struts that come in the M030 kit. In my opinion the M030 is still the best bang for the buck. Go ahead and price up buying four struts, springs , front/rear sway bars and you will see that the kit is a good value. You said you have the springs so that helps but how old/how many miles do those springs have on them ? And don't forget while you are in there there are other suspension pieces along with bushings that should be replaced. You will find out 4K can be spent very quickly, but the car will be transformed. Good luck and don't forget a good alignment.
Completely agree the M030 Sport kit transformed my '99 Boxster and is the best dollar value for suspension replacement and upgrade. When I bought mine Suncoast wanted $1195 plus $50 shipping, I called my local dealer who got it for me for $960. Even the tax added on came out less than Suncoast but you might check their current price.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #10

Found used S struts with only 7k on them for all four corners for $178 shipped, and going to use the s springs I have to freshen up my suspension... We'll see how it goes. I had already changed all the drop links and bushings this summer.

I know, I'm being cheap but I drive less than 3k miles a year and values are dropping so have a hard time spending over 1500.00 in parts plus the Indy qoute of 900.00 to install.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #11

Maybe you can score some S anti-roll bars from someone that's upgraded to M030...
Old 12-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #12

At that price I would personally look at coilovers, because 32 way adjustable! I have K-Sport Double R's on mine and I couldn't be happier.
ルーカス is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #13

I'm going to install the s spring and struts, will I need to change the compensating plates size? Is the base 6mm and the s 3mm?