Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2016, 06:30 AM   #1

Debris in the oil

Hi

Changing the oil on my 97 . 2,5 986 i Decided to remove the sump pan too.
The engine have received new oil and filter for every year the last 3 years ( as long as I have owned it)
it has done 155.000 km and runs strong without any wrong noises / exhaust color

only concern is that when I start it after it has been standing for a week ore more it tends to be a little noisy for app 3-5 sec. after this everything is normal. When it is hot there is nothing.( i expect the chain tensioners to leak down?)

The oil looked fine but I found a little plastic debris on the Sump plate ( it is not magnetic)
it looks like there are two kinds .
A hard braunish type and a black type which i can squeeze into smaller pieces with my nails.

I have attached a couple of photos.
Any ideas on what this is and should I start loosing sleep

It did not look like the pan had been off before, ( same kind of dry dirt as on the rest of the engine..)

BR
Barthol

barthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
IMO, it looks like pieces of chain tensioners and or sealant. Check your engine for cam deviations? Though that doesn't look like enough debris to throw a chain.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #3

M96.20 Camshaft M96.21/22 Driving Mechanism M96.23/24
Look at 9,19,30,33
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #4

I have a few of these bits in the oil filter at each change. Deviation specs are still very good.
Not worried...........Yet!
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #5

Well I just did my oil change and dropped the sump.
Found just a few tiny black pieces that look like gasket material from the sump, just like yours... No metal. Your brown pieces are the tensionner ramps.
I have the same issue after more than 24 hours of being a queen in the garage... A little noisy then smooth after 3-5 sec. I'm considering replacing my hydraulic tensionner units this winter.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #6

The plastic pads start out being a yellowish color when new. With heat cycling and dirty oil they become dark brown. By then they become brittle. The chains wear grooves in the brittle pads(the debris you are finding) and when the pad disintegrates - so does your engine -because the tensioner cannot accommodate the slack in the chain and the aluminum base on steel chain combo is rather destructive.
If you get to the pads before they disintegrate, you will probably break them when you try to gently remove them.Yes, they are that brittle and fragile.By contrast the new replacement pads snap on/off easily.
The timing of the pad replacement really depends on how well you understand the risk of needing a replacement engine....
There are a few 'while you are in there' jobs to consider also.
Wayne/Pelican have a good write-up.

Last edited by Gelbster; 10-16-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote