Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #1

Advice on seats

Hello all. New to the forum.

I recently replaced my 1997 base model with a 2002 boxster s. The new car is a bit of a project. The seats are in awful shape. I'm debating replacing the entire seats with used seats or having the leather completely redone on the old ones.

Just wondering what experience and opinions you guys may have on this subject.

Bryanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Try to find someone local making a Boxster into a race car. They almost always take out the seats and other interior parts to save weight. I found a set of seats so cheap i decided to change the whole interior color of my car. I'm talking like $200 for both seats in mint condition.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Try to find someone local making a Boxster into a race car. They almost always take out the seats and other interior parts to save weight. I found a set of seats so cheap i decided to change the whole interior color of my car. I'm talking like $200 for both seats in mint condition.
+1 I would have given my stock seats away for free when I installed my racing seats. I ended up throwing them in a dumpster.

Ignore the absurd eBay prices. Those same seats have been listed on there forever without selling.

Check with your local shop, they might know who may be building a race car or know of a set in one of their customer's garage. Alternatively, post a WTB listing for seats on this and maybe another Forum. Take your time and a good pair of seats at a great price is sure to cross your path.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #4

i bought used seats and have been very happy with the purchase.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:11 AM   #5

Garage
Keep them original. Check out the leather covers from GAHH
Cheers
Porsche man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
Look for a set of used seats. When I put race seats in my car, I ended up selling the stock seats for $50.... After having them listed in PCA, etc for 2 years.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:58 AM   #7

I agree with the used seat voters.

One fact that I discovered was that the covers from the passenger seat will fit on the driver's seat with some tweaking. Since most Boxsters experience more seat time on the driver's side, there are probably many nice passenger-side seat covers that can serve as donors. I think this would be a less expensive option than buying the GAHH covers. You can read about my experience here:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/49826-seat-heater-install-seat-leather-swap.html
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:37 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies and advice. If I could find seats in decent shape for anywhere near $200 that would be fantastic! It would be a no brainer. All the ones I've come across so far are an the neighborhood if 500 and are pretty warn.

I've been shopping upholstery shops in the Denver area and can get get really nice custom leather for about $1000. While its double a used seat it would look brand new and the leather is nice and thick.

Ever since I removed the passenger seat the airbag light has been on. Is it difficult to find a seat compatible enough to satisfy sensor? Also seems like there are several variations of power seats. Would I need to match those power seat functions?

Thanks again guys!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanf View Post

Ever since I removed the passenger seat the airbag light has been on. Is it difficult to find a seat compatible enough to satisfy sensor? Also seems like there are several variations of power seats. Would I need to match those power seat functions?

Thanks again guys!
If you did not disconnect the battery and wait. While before unplugging the seat connections, that light will not go away. How to handle it is documented somewhere on this board.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche man View Post
Keep them original. Check out the leather covers from GAHH
Cheers
Original is somewhat objective at this point. If you recover, you have original frames, motors and foam with aftermarket covers.

If you replace, you have OEM seats, just from another Boxster.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #11

someone on this forum did one of the most amazing leather restorations. He basically painted on a new leather seat cover using some leather paint of sorts. let it dry. Sanded it down. added another layer. etc. They looked absolutely brand spanking new. I saw something similar as far as color restoration done for the canvas top too by a British Porsche magazine. Fantastic result, they put out a kit that includes the brushes and dyes. If you've got the time you can save some money.

unrelated,
I recently started painting some expensive Nike Air Max shoes using Angelus leather paint. Basically you toss the shoes in the washer. Once clean paint over the plastic and leather bits in very light coats. And then add a matte gloss coat to keep the paint bendable. Replaced the old laces with a $5 set of new ones and you have brand new looking shoes. They have matched every single Nike color. Those of you with kids can save some money there.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #12

I did this back in early summer

Seats and carpet

Time to start putting my Boxster back together
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #13

Garage
This might solve your problem

I've got a set of seats or seat cushions from my '02 S. Black leather/vinyl.
No tears or holes, but they're scuffed up (look sort of like suede)on the bottom seat bolsters. The leather is a little hard, but not objectionable. I'll make you a hell of a deal if you're interested. Can send pics.
I've swapped for new seats.
If you just want the covers or covers/cushions, shipping would be a whole lot cheaper.
Thanks
Phil C. Milton, Ga
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
I've got a set of seats or seat cushions from my '02 S. Black leather/vinyl.

No tears or holes, but they're scuffed up (look sort of like suede)on the bottom seat bolsters. The leather is a little hard, but not objectionable. I'll make you a hell of a deal if you're interested. Can send pics.

I've swapped for new seats.

If you just want the covers or covers/cushions, shipping would be a whole lot cheaper.

Thanks

Phil C. Milton, Ga

That sounds like it would have worked well for me, would have saved $$ too. Unfortunately I broke down yesterday and dropped the car off at an upholstery shop to have them redone. I just couldn't find any used seats in good condition. I'll post some before and after pictures.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #15

Garage
No problem.
After you get them back and enjoy them, you won't care what it cost!
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #16

There are a load of guys building spec boxsters in Colorado right now. Look on craigslist and you will see 4 or 5 full interiors available.
specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #17
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I actually restored mine years ago. See pictures in this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/27365-has-anybody-replaced-seat-covers.html

Though with the prices so low you could find a set for sure. I still have a set for sale. I was in the process of selling them last year but the price to ship was crazy. Now it's time to find someone local to sell them to. Better than sitting in my basement not being enjoyed.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #18

Garage
FYI I recently bought a nice pair of oem sport seats in San Diego for $1,500, a 2 hour drive from me. I removed the right seat from my Box & drove it down to SD. When I arrived I removed the left seat & installed the "new" seats. Next I put my original driver seat upside down in the passenger seat, put the top up & drove back home. My original seats are for sale in the classified thread.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 06-08-2015 at 10:44 AM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote