Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

scored a good deal today

Local guy selling parts on CL had a Boxster top with glass window for sale. We had a few email vollies today I went to look it over. It's a black GAHH in excellent condition. Started looking around at what else he had when he said you interested in factory service manuals ? Huge set of four binders all pages in perfect condition. Purchased the top and the manuals for $400.00 I think I did well. Oh the top is complete on the frame so unbolt current top and bolt in the new...........sweet !

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Garage
Oh man, well done. I are jealous! ;-)
Old 10-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #3

Nice! I would have snapped that up too. Is it the top off of a 03-04 or a 97-02 that was coverted to a glass window? My local top guy wants $450 just to put in a rear vinyl window and $1,350 for a new top of the line top with glass window. Good score.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

That is a darn good deal!

I wish I could find the manuals in actual paper form; I have an electronic set but its a PITA to use my laptop in the workshop and have to keep scrolling up and down to see the diagrams.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

It's a 3 bow top so converted 97-02. Yeah I like paper pages to I plan on placing them in plastic page sleeves to keep them clean.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 10-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Local guy selling parts on CL had a Boxster top with glass window for sale. We had a few email vollies today I went to look it over. It's a black GAHH in excellent condition. Started looking around at what else he had when he said you interested in factory service manuals ? Huge set of four binders all pages in perfect condition. Purchased the top and the manuals for $400.00 I think I did well. Oh the top is complete on the frame so unbolt current top and bolt in the new...........sweet !
The original factory service manual set for the Boxster or 996 cars was thirteen three ring binders for each car, plus the OBD II manual which was separate. These come up every once in a while for about the same money, or even less. There was recently a full Boxster set on Craigslist for $150.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-10-2014 at 01:14 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The original factory service manual set for the Boxster or 996 cars was thirteen three ring binders for each car, plus the OBD II manual which was separate. These come up every once in a while for about the same money, or even less. There was recently a full Boxster set on Craigslist for $150.

Maybe these aren't factory they were done in the UK based on what is on the pages but they are in english ( US ). All four binders are very thick so maybe a aftermarket version of the original ? For the price I paid I'm not going to complain.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I got the ones from that Craigslist posting. It was 16 binders. Very nice to be able to pull out a 3 page long wiring diagram. I didn't get a top with them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I went for a drive to the city and met a man with some books for sale.

Then 'unboxed' them onto their own shelf.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #9

Garage
Just grabbed from CL set of two piece OZ racing vela wheels 17s. With brand ne tires plus set of clear headlights for 300 cash
OZs in 986 offset with 10" rear
beat this
Old 10-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by golonaus View Post
Just grabbed from CL set of two piece OZ racing vela wheels 17s. With brand ne tires plus set of clear headlights for 300 cash
OZs in 986 offset with 10" rear
beat this
I'll give you $400 for them. Instant profit.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #11

Nice score!
The top and frame R/R is not tough at all. Remember that there are two phillips screws on each side along with the three bolts. The screws might be hard to see if you don't know to look for them.

When installing, get the bolts started, then do the screws.

This is also a great time to replace the plastic rod ends if you still have the originals.

Also a great time (while top/frame is off) to remove your drive cables from the top's motor and inspect for fraying. The cables are easily removed and re installed without worry of needing to realign anything.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Nice score!
The top and frame R/R is not tough at all. Remember that there are two phillips screws on each side along with the three bolts. The screws might be hard to see if you don't know to look for them.

When installing, get the bolts started, then do the screws.

This is also a great time to replace the plastic rod ends if you still have the originals.

Also a great time (while top/frame is off) to remove your drive cables from the top's motor and inspect for fraying. The cables are easily removed and re installed without worry of needing to realign anything.
Sounds like you have done this before I need to find someone like you to give me a hand as I've never done anything like this and I want it to look/perform good. Also I noticed last night the new top does not have a headliner I'm hoping I can use the one off of my current top ? But now that I think about it the vinyl rear window is larger than the glass so the liner wouldn't work ? I need to get smarter on this. And yes I'll replace any items like rod ends/cables that show wear.

Last edited by rfuerst911sc; 10-11-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:56 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Sounds like you have done this before I need to find someone like you to give me a hand as I've never done anything like this and I want it to look/perform good. Also I noticed last night the new top does not have a headliner I'm hoping I can use the one off of my current top ? But not that I think about it the vinyl rear window is larger than the glass so the liner wouldn't work ? I need to get smarter on this. And yes I'll replace any items like rod ends/cables that show wear.
Hopefully you can find someone local to help, but here's the DIY if you haven't already seen it:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Convertible New Top - 986 / 987