Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #1

K&N Air Filter

I just installed this K&N air filter. It was really tough to push in. Is that normal? Also, I was a bit nervous about putting the included grease around the outer rubber, but I put a very small amount anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062Z0WA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rock88hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock88hard View Post
I just installed this K&N air filter. It was really tough to push in. Is that normal? Also, I was a bit nervous about putting the included grease around the outer rubber, but I put a very small amount anyway.

Amazon.com: K&N 33-2773 High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive
Yes, hard to put in. Keep an eye on your CEL - if you get one for MAF, re-set CEL and put a stock filter back in.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #3

Just in case you didn't know the K&N's flow more air because they flow more dirt !
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Stick with paper, replace often.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock88hard View Post

Amazon.com: K&N 33-2773 High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive
Yup, also make sure the filter doesn't have too much "filter oil" on it. For mine I just placed it on top of a towel and sprayed some air to rinse out all the excess oil on it.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #6

Garage
I believe the K&N style filters have gotten a bad wrap because of users who are not willing to follow maintenance requirements. I have used them on almost every car I have ever owned. 5 years in a 2003 Boxster never had a MAF code. Statistic's show they flow more air and clean better than paper filters with the added bonus of longer life. The catch you have to be willing to clean and maintain them.

If you believe you can install and forget this filter like your paper filter. stay with a paper filter.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #7

Start saving for a new MAF...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #8

+1 For Paper

A new paper filter once a year.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I believe the K&N style filters have gotten a bad wrap because of users who are not willing to follow maintenance requirements. I have used them on almost every car I have ever owned. 5 years in a 2003 Boxster never had a MAF code. Statistic's show they flow more air and clean better than paper filters with the added bonus of longer life. The catch you have to be willing to clean and maintain them.

If you believe you can install and forget this filter like your paper filter. stay with a paper filter.
I agree with you... and if you over-oil the k&n a little, just use a little MAF cleaner to spray down the sensor and clean it and 'Bob is your Uncle' all good till next oil change. I've been using K&N for years in my cars, bikes etc and never an issue so far.
H
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post

Though I've not personally used K&N filters, over the years on this forum I've read the posts of several diehard users who agree with this sentiment. They submit that, properly prepared and maintained, these filters do a good job. Me? I'm lazy...or, perhaps more accurately, have far too many other things on my "ToDo" list---I use the paper ones.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Just in case you didn't know the K&N's flow more air because they flow more dirt !
The latter is true, but ...

In the BMW motorcycle world a techie guy with instrumentation compared airflow between
Stock paper filter
Stock filter half blocked off
K&N
No filter at all

There was no airflow difference.

Difficult fit is not surprising, as K&N is not a quality product and fit is dubious on many rectangular versions. If you have a 4-barrel with a round filter around it, K&N will fit.

It's a product that is 100% hype.

2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote