986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   K&N Air Filter (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54362-k-n-air-filter.html)

rock88hard 10-07-2014 11:09 AM

K&N Air Filter

I just installed this K&N air filter. It was really tough to push in. Is that normal? Also, I was a bit nervous about putting the included grease around the outer rubber, but I put a very small amount anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062Z0WA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dlirium 10-07-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock88hard (Post 420868)
I just installed this K&N air filter. It was really tough to push in. Is that normal? Also, I was a bit nervous about putting the included grease around the outer rubber, but I put a very small amount anyway.

Amazon.com: K&N 33-2773 High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive

Yes, hard to put in. Keep an eye on your CEL - if you get one for MAF, re-set CEL and put a stock filter back in.

rfuerst911sc 10-07-2014 02:34 PM

Just in case you didn't know the K&N's flow more air because they flow more dirt !

Deserion 10-07-2014 06:27 PM

Stick with paper, replace often.

Top_Ramen 10-08-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock88hard (Post 420868)

Amazon.com: K&N 33-2773 High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive

Yup, also make sure the filter doesn't have too much "filter oil" on it. For mine I just placed it on top of a towel and sprayed some air to rinse out all the excess oil on it.

jsceash 10-08-2014 07:29 AM

I believe the K&N style filters have gotten a bad wrap because of users who are not willing to follow maintenance requirements. I have used them on almost every car I have ever owned. 5 years in a 2003 Boxster never had a MAF code. Statistic's show they flow more air and clean better than paper filters with the added bonus of longer life. The catch you have to be willing to clean and maintain them.

If you believe you can install and forget this filter like your paper filter. stay with a paper filter.

ekam 10-08-2014 07:39 AM

Start saving for a new MAF...

schnellman 10-08-2014 01:46 PM

+1 For Paper

A new paper filter once a year.

Heiko 10-08-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 420955)
I believe the K&N style filters have gotten a bad wrap because of users who are not willing to follow maintenance requirements. I have used them on almost every car I have ever owned. 5 years in a 2003 Boxster never had a MAF code. Statistic's show they flow more air and clean better than paper filters with the added bonus of longer life. The catch you have to be willing to clean and maintain them.

If you believe you can install and forget this filter like your paper filter. stay with a paper filter.

I agree with you... and if you over-oil the k&n a little, just use a little MAF cleaner to spray down the sensor and clean it and 'Bob is your Uncle' all good till next oil change. I've been using K&N for years in my cars, bikes etc and never an issue so far.
H

Frodo 10-08-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsceash (Post 420955)

Though I've not personally used K&N filters, over the years on this forum I've read the posts of several diehard users who agree with this sentiment. They submit that, properly prepared and maintained, these filters do a good job. Me? I'm lazy...or, perhaps more accurately, have far too many other things on my "ToDo" list---I use the paper ones. :D

lkchris 10-09-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 420889)
Just in case you didn't know the K&N's flow more air because they flow more dirt !

The latter is true, but ...

In the BMW motorcycle world a techie guy with instrumentation compared airflow between
Stock paper filter
Stock filter half blocked off
K&N
No filter at all

There was no airflow difference.

Difficult fit is not surprising, as K&N is not a quality product and fit is dubious on many rectangular versions. If you have a 4-barrel with a round filter around it, K&N will fit.

It's a product that is 100% hype.