Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #1

Numeric Shifter & Cables Installed in my Boxster

After deciding to keep the Boxster I elected to put a new shifter in it. I had upgraded to a 997 OEM shifter and it was a substantial improvement, but I wanted more. I thoroughly searched the net and forums and came to the conclusion that the Numeric shifter was the way to go. Then, I took the next step up and added the Numeric cup cables. With the deals Dan at Numeric runs you are in the neighborhood of $1000 for the set up. Not a cheap upgrade by any means. But, as much as we shift our cars I figured it was worth it.

I had planned on installing it myself, but my back has been giving me fits so I took it in to my long time Porsche mechanic, Jason at RS Enterprises in Ventura. A one man shop with a helper and a master mechanic that is as honest as they come.

Numeric sent the wrong cables so there was some doing and a half day to figure this out. Chaz at Numeric was contacted and identified the problem right off. He also got the correct cables shipped out directly to the shop. One of the cables is a tad long but after being routed and cable tied it seem to function correctly.

The end result is great. I have it set on the longest throw (there are three settings) and it is substantially shorter than the OEM shifter. I cannot imagine what it is like on the shortest setting. The best way to describe the shifting is it is very mechanical, precise and solid. Machine like. It feels notchy but in a good solid way. There is no slop. It has been described by others as rifle bolt movement like. This is pretty accurate.

I had read where some had installed these cables and had a noise issue. Not the case here at all. There is no noise or vibration.

If anyone in the Los Angeles area is considering this upgrade come on over for a test drive.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD

Last edited by Chuck W.; 07-14-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #2

How are these cables working out? I plan to hook them on to my 997 ssk.

I am hoping that these cables will help sort out my second to third issue.....when the cables get hot.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #3

I don't track my 986, but I have read postings on other Porsche boards that these cables did sort out issues with the second to third shift on the track. Also, there are a lot of threads regarding the OEM cables breaking. These will not break. That alone is a big selling point. Particularly for those that track their cars. You talk about ruining a day. A broken cable would differently do that. IMHO, you can't go wrong with these.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #4

Angry

Okay I let someone else work on my car as I had no garage access....this is what got:

Along with a stripped console bolt, missed electrical connection, and scratches on the inside of my plastic window....I even had pre stripped the interior....anyway after two weeks I had to pull my car out of there

The shift quality is terrible compared to what I had set up. I can barely get into reverse....so pull the engine cover and found this cable lashed against the plenum

One cable is way too loose and the other is so tight to the intake plenum that I don't need bolts to hold it in the head....ahhh have they reversed the cables? What routing did everyone use here?

I would imagine that one run under the plenum would make sense..

I am afraid to drive it like it is
Old 10-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

Garage
No....stock both go on top of everything as you see. And I can't imagine they could be reversed. I heard of some of the AM shift cables being off on the length. I'm thinking that is your issue. I'd contact the manufacturer of the cables/shifter.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #6

Yes am aware that the stocks go above....they are numeric cables

So this is not an installation error? There is no way to adjust this tight fit??

Edit the one cable is completely taught....can't be right

The numeric instruction pictures show an x pattern...

http://www.numericracing.com/uploads/986_987_Shifter_Cables_Install.pdf

Last edited by jaykay; 10-23-2014 at 08:11 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #7

Garage
From your PDF:

"After connecting to the brackets you must properly adjust the rod ends before connecting to the posts
or it will not engage into gear properly. To do so for the R2 end, push the transmission gear selector all
the way back to the reverse position. It will require more force than normal to engage into reverse so
be certain it’s extended all the way."

My guess is this wasn't done during installation.

And yes....installation notes say they should cross and obviously they don't. I could make derogatory remarks about your installer....but I will refrain. Probably a good idea to go to someone else. Someone that reads directions.

Last edited by Tucker2; 10-24-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Tucker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #8

987 transmissions have one cable go to each side of the transmission, 986 don't so there might not be the need to cross in your case. i hear a lot of people have cable length issues with the numeric cup cables, so i'd measure and email them to make sure you have the proper part.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #9

Yes the cross is for later transmissions.....both my cables have to go down the ride side. The red mist clouded my earlier comments.

Yeah the car is awful to drive....they have got to come out

Last edited by jaykay; 10-25-2014 at 09:20 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2 View Post
From your PDF:

"After connecting to the brackets you must properly adjust the rod ends before connecting to the posts
or it will not engage into gear properly. To do so for the R2 end, push the transmission gear selector all
the way back to the reverse position. It will require more force than normal to engage into reverse so
be certain it’s extended all the way."

My guess is this wasn't done during installation.

And yes....installation notes say they should cross and obviously they don't. I could make derogatory remarks about your installer....but I will refrain. Probably a good idea to go to someone else. Someone that reads directions.
So I can realize good shift quality with proper cable lengths? Right... about now I have a lot of doubt
Old 10-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
So I can realize good shift quality with proper cable lengths? Right... about now I have a lot of doubt
Yes. I did a ton of research before laying out that kind of money. Like me, others are very happy with the results. Once you figure out if it is a cable length issue or an installation issue you'll be good to go.

What shift console are you using with the cables?

Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #12

I am using a 997 SSK console ...thanks for the information