View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Chuck W.

Numeric Shifter & Cables Installed in my Boxster

After deciding to keep the Boxster I elected to put a new shifter in it. I had upgraded to a 997 OEM shifter and it was a substantial improvement, but I wanted more. I thoroughly searched the net and forums and came to the conclusion that the Numeric shifter was the way to go. Then, I took the next step up and added the Numeric cup cables. With the deals Dan at Numeric runs you are in the neighborhood of $1000 for the set up. Not a cheap upgrade by any means. But, as much as we shift our cars I figured it was worth it.

I had planned on installing it myself, but my back has been giving me fits so I took it in to my long time Porsche mechanic, Jason at RS Enterprises in Ventura. A one man shop with a helper and a master mechanic that is as honest as they come.

Numeric sent the wrong cables so there was some doing and a half day to figure this out. Chaz at Numeric was contacted and identified the problem right off. He also got the correct cables shipped out directly to the shop. One of the cables is a tad long but after being routed and cable tied it seem to function correctly.

The end result is great. I have it set on the longest throw (there are three settings) and it is substantially shorter than the OEM shifter. I cannot imagine what it is like on the shortest setting. The best way to describe the shifting is it is very mechanical, precise and solid. Machine like. It feels notchy but in a good solid way. There is no slop. It has been described by others as rifle bolt movement like. This is pretty accurate.

I had read where some had installed these cables and had a noise issue. Not the case here at all. There is no noise or vibration.

If anyone in the Los Angeles area is considering this upgrade come on over for a test drive.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD

Last edited by Chuck W.; 07-14-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote