Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 05:00 AM   #1

Garage
Car value after tracking?

I read some of the posts and wonder why tracking your car is such a negative toward resale of the car.
I believe my car like most of the people that track their cars are better maintained because we do track the car. I know I do more maintenance than it would get if I just drove it around town. Every squeak is checked out and repaired. I have replace many parts that would go unmaintained on a daily driver. Most of us that do track cars have gone to extra measure toward improving our oiling systems. Oil is changed 4 to 6 times a year not every 15,000. Higher end parts from 996 and 997 cars have been installed where they can be. I don't buy after market unless it is a premium performance item. The car gets a technical inspection every month March through October by a qualified Porsche trained technician.

Curious how others feal

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:11 AM   #2

Lots of life at high RPMs (redline )?
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
Jude Clayton

Re: Car value after tracking?

Hi pal Porsche is a brand name in automobile sector, These cars often needs to change the oil. The problem affects mostly the 2.5 Boxster and Carrera 3.4 engines. When this failure happens, you will see oil and coolant begin to mix together or a slight coolant loss. If you have such problems in oiling system its a serious problem with that engine so you must look for a professional.
JudeClayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #4

Garage
If the #1 and #2 (0) counts are low what's it matter
I like many use better oil always. Change it more often and have high oil pressure continuously. Additional cooling so it runs cooler and At 6500 I have 85 PSI and at idle in traffic on the SoCal interstates the average driver fight 2 hour of stop and go at 25PSI twice a day, 5 days a week. and change their oil every 15,000 miles.
Which causes more wear.
Which would you buy if all you had for information was car 1 is track car 2 daily driver never tracked
1126 #1
0 #2
Mileage 65000
hrs 1612
OR
1126 #1
0 #2
mileage 65000
hrs 3200
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 AM   #5

I think the perception from those that don't race is that the car was driven HARD and that wears things out faster and causes stuff to break.

Maintenance of a raced car is subjective as some people might run the car hard for years then sell it, while others might run the car hard and then replace lots of stuff and then sell it.

Its hard to know what you are getting in any used car, and ones that were raced puts even more perceived risk into the equation.

More uncertainty and risk = lower perceived value.

However if you can prove the condition with inspection reports and service history that can turn things around.

Personally, if I was looking for an upgraded car, I think the raced cars would be a good place to find one if the current condition and upgraded parts can be verified.

When I first started shopping for a Boxster I turned away from an upgraded 3.4 because I was uninformed, but now being better informed that one would have been a serious contender.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 08-27-2014 at 06:24 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
It really depends on the buyer. A knowledgeable buyer who does his homework will know the difference between a car that was highly maintained and driven well, and a car that was simply flogged regularly on a racetrack. Some with an interest in motorsport will appreciate the value of well developed suspension and reliability mods, others will not.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
... wonder why tracking your car is such a negative toward resale of the car.
As Joe B said, its all about how much time is spent at higher RPM's.

The perception is that a tracked car will spend a higher percentage of its life at higher RPM and that will shorten its life.

But that may or may not be true.

We all know drivers who maintain fairly high RPM's on daily basis (like me!) - the engine is generally revved up and that could easily equal the duty cycle of a tracked car. And I know others (like my wife!) who never goes above 4K rpm.

So my take is that unless you're buying a car from a nice old lady, then a car with mild to moderate track duty probably isn't significantly different than a sporty street driven car.

Heavy track duty or racing? I'd suggest that those engines do spend an inordinate amount of time at very high RPM's and engine life could be less than comparable non-raced cars.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry, ended up with a double post and deleted it.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-27-2014 at 12:18 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote