Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #1

986 facelift dash installation problem

I'm in the process of fitting a facelift dash into a non facelift 986 and have encountered a problem with the air distributor ducts. In the non facelift they run across where the glovebox needs to be in the new facelift dash. Has anyone done this upgrade previously?

212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

Wow, what a project! You can't be doing it simply to get a glovebox, are you?

Anyway, I don't know the answer to your question, but I know what I would do to try to find someone who has done this swap...I would google for pics of "boxster dashboard," and when I see a pic of a dash all torn apart, look at the page that the pic came from. You might be lucky and find someone who's done the swap and can still be contacted.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

This was discussed earlier here. Consensus was: it can't be done. The metal crash bar changed to accommodate the glove compartment addition.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #4

Garage
If it is just the air ducting getting in the way as you make it sound... I feel like you can build some custom ducting to fix the issue. Im sure it will be time consuming but it shouldnt be too expensive.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
This was discussed earlier here. Consensus was: it can't be done. The metal crash bar changed to accommodate the glove compartment addition.

My car is uk spec and if it's the knee protection bar being referred it's not present on uk cars.
I've acquired a different set of ducts/splitter/outlet vents etc at the breakers from a facelift boxster which allow the ducting to pass around the glovebox and the dash is now pretty much installed with no issues. All fixings etc align perfectly.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auf los! View Post
Wow, what a project! You can't be doing it simply to get a glovebox, are you?

Anyway, I don't know the answer to your question, but I know what I would do to try to find someone who has done this swap...I would google for pics of "boxster dashboard," and when I see a pic of a dash all torn apart, look at the page that the pic came from. You might be lucky and find someone who's done the swap and can still be contacted.

Good luck!
It's not just to gain a glovebox, it's a much nicer interior, full extended leather with aluminium Tequipment pack. Had to change vents and ducts etc but it's now pretty much sorted.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #7

Garage
Nice, do you have any pictures or a write up?

2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote