986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   986 facelift dash installation problem (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/53815-986-facelift-dash-installation-problem.html)

212 08-25-2014 06:38 AM

986 facelift dash installation problem

I'm in the process of fitting a facelift dash into a non facelift 986 and have encountered a problem with the air distributor ducts. In the non facelift they run across where the glovebox needs to be in the new facelift dash. Has anyone done this upgrade previously?

Auf los! 08-25-2014 12:56 PM

Wow, what a project! You can't be doing it simply to get a glovebox, are you?

Anyway, I don't know the answer to your question, but I know what I would do to try to find someone who has done this swap...I would google for pics of "boxster dashboard," and when I see a pic of a dash all torn apart, look at the page that the pic came from. You might be lucky and find someone who's done the swap and can still be contacted.

Good luck!

tightbox 08-25-2014 02:19 PM

This was discussed earlier here. Consensus was: it can't be done. The metal crash bar changed to accommodate the glove compartment addition.

Lobo1186 08-25-2014 08:11 PM

If it is just the air ducting getting in the way as you make it sound... I feel like you can build some custom ducting to fix the issue. Im sure it will be time consuming but it shouldnt be too expensive.

212 08-26-2014 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tightbox (Post 415958)
This was discussed earlier here. Consensus was: it can't be done. The metal crash bar changed to accommodate the glove compartment addition.

My car is uk spec and if it's the knee protection bar being referred it's not present on uk cars.
I've acquired a different set of ducts/splitter/outlet vents etc at the breakers from a facelift boxster which allow the ducting to pass around the glovebox and the dash is now pretty much installed with no issues. All fixings etc align perfectly.

212 08-26-2014 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auf los! (Post 415948)
Wow, what a project! You can't be doing it simply to get a glovebox, are you?

Anyway, I don't know the answer to your question, but I know what I would do to try to find someone who has done this swap...I would google for pics of "boxster dashboard," and when I see a pic of a dash all torn apart, look at the page that the pic came from. You might be lucky and find someone who's done the swap and can still be contacted.

Good luck!

It's not just to gain a glovebox, it's a much nicer interior, full extended leather with aluminium Tequipment pack. Had to change vents and ducts etc but it's now pretty much sorted.

Coaster 08-26-2014 10:05 AM

Nice, do you have any pictures or a write up?