Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 73
New to the forum

Just wanted to introduce myself. Glad to now be amongst the Porsche owners.
Cut my teeth as an RX-7 enthusiast... a car which I still have a massive deal of respect for. But always wanted and knew I would move over to Porsche ownership.
Was looking for a 993 but prices have spiraled upward to the point where it's more reasonable to look at a 981 with low miles on it. So that was shelved. 986 seems like a great starting point. Extremely accessible pricepoint, and often underappreciated mid engine performance.

Managed to find a low mileage 2000 with 55,000 kms (I'm Canadian) / 35,000 miles example. Silver with Metropol blue interior and top. Going to keep mods to a minimum. Do the initial maintenance one would do after buying a used Porsche, probably a "chan-can" exhaust, and scrap that inexcusable steering wheel that came in these non-S cars of the period. Drive for a few years then start looking for a white 987.

Here's a photo when I just got it home. Have since polished with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and waxed with s few coats of P21S. Conditioned the leather, and all the rubber trim bits. Looking new-car'ish now, and have been enjoying the addictive drive that this car provides for a few months now.

Looking forward to some forum discussions.

Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: sw ohio
Posts: 253
Nice. Very nice.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Giller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Listowel, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,120
Welcome! Always good to have some more Canucks on here. And I love your ride! I've got an 02 in Silver/Metropol. I've added a little silver to the cabin and it looks pretty sweet IMO.
__________________
2011 Boxster 987.2 Arctic silver / Black leather, PDK with Sports Chrono Package Plus
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Box4two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Whitby ontario
Posts: 126
Garage
Looks great! Welcome, 2000 from Whitby Ontario!
__________________
Previous 2 seaters:
1975 Triumph TR7
1979 Fiat X19
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
still plays with cars...
 
BoxsterSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baden, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,072
Garage
Greetings for Waterloo, Jim. Great looking car you have there.
__________________
Six speed 2000 Boxster S
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,456
Welcome! Looks great AND you posted a photo!
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 399
Welcome ! And no need to upgrade from a 986. These cars are fantastic.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster View Post
Welcome ! And no need to upgrade from a 986. These cars are fantastic.
well its not possible to upgrade from a 986 in the first place! That is unless you buy a newer Boxster but that's a diminishing returns proposition...
If you move out of the roadster segment you're simply buying a different car and not a better one, and most likely that other car doesn't set the bar in its class like the Boxster. So there you have it, the OP has managed to out do himself right from the start. Good job eh.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
Toppy
 
Toppy986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Dorchester, ON, Canada
Posts: 121
Garage
Welcome, enjoy the ride
__________________
1999 Boxster
Arena Red/Graphite Grey Interior/Black 03 Top/550 All Red Tail Lights
Toppy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,188
Welcome! Aren't you supposed to be into gold Pontiac Firebirds?
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2007 Cayman S - SOLD on Valentine's Day 2013
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:51 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Xpit77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 454
Hey from Kingston.
Remember to wave at other Porsche`s.
__________________
99 Boxster 88 944S sold
Xpit Formula Four sold
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
63 MG Midget sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 27
Howdy from Hamilton.

Forget about waving to Cayenne owners in the GTA - they just look at you weird. :-)
MacGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #13
Registered User
 
BIGJake111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Greenville, S.C.
Posts: 2,656
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford View Post
Just wanted to introduce myself. Glad to now be amongst the Porsche owners.

Cut my teeth as an RX-7 enthusiast... a car which I still have a massive deal of respect for. But always wanted and knew I would move over to Porsche ownership.

Was looking for a 993 but prices have spiraled upward to the point where it's more reasonable to look at a 981 with low miles on it. So that was shelved. 986 seems like a great starting point. Extremely accessible pricepoint, and often underappreciated mid engine performance.



Managed to find a low mileage 2000 with 55,000 kms (I'm Canadian) / 35,000 miles example. Silver with Metropol blue interior and top. Going to keep mods to a minimum. Do the initial maintenance one would do after buying a used Porsche, probably a "chan-can" exhaust, and scrap that inexcusable steering wheel that came in these non-S cars of the period. Drive for a few years then start looking for a white 987.



Here's a photo when I just got it home. Have since polished with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and waxed with s few coats of P21S. Conditioned the leather, and all the rubber trim bits. Looking new-car'ish now, and have been enjoying the addictive drive that this car provides for a few months now.



Looking forward to some forum discussions.




What a beauty! Welcome!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Registered User
 
rp17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DFW
Posts: 713
Welcome to the forum. Nice car. Can we see some pics of the interior? Congrats!
__________________
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Registered User
 
jsceash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,404
Garage
Welcome to the forum, Off the subject, is that a solid limestone block/bench on your side walk. That's a cool landscape item.
__________________
2003 Black 986. modified for Advanced level HPDE and open track days.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario. Canada
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Welcome to the forum, Off the subject, is that a solid limestone block/bench on your side walk. That's a cool landscape item.
Thanks, and yes it's a solid block. Unsure of what species of stone it is however. It was just an uncanny match for the interlocking pavers we selected for the rest of our driveway so it was selected on aesthetics more than material. It's just set there as a sitting stone. I picked it up at one of these big stoneyards that sell interlocking stone and a host of other natural stone products.
Jim Rockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #17
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 45
Clean Boxster and welcome to 986forum!

Mark/Pelican Parts
Mark at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #18
Registered User
 
jsceash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,404
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford View Post
Thanks, and yes it's a solid block. Unsure of what species of stone it is however. It was just an uncanny match for the interlocking pavers we selected for the rest of our driveway so it was selected on aesthetics more than material. It's just set there as a sitting stone. I picked it up at one of these big stoneyards that sell interlocking stone and a host of other natural stone products.
Cool looking addition. "The car"
__________________
2003 Black 986. modified for Advanced level HPDE and open track days.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page