Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #1

Lightbulb Upgrading stereo with aftermarket

Good day,

I have recently purchased an 03 Boxster, and like many others, one of the first thing that I would like to do, is connect my Galaxy S3 to the stereo.

Let me start saying that I am not too happy with getting an aftermarket as it kills the factory look.

However, I have seen very nice setup with touchscreens by moving the climate control and radio, and using a double din A/V unit. That would be nice to do, but my car does not have the lower part of the center console (so only the climate control and single din for the radio).

I read all about the CDR23 and the MOST connector but I am still a bit confused about whether I can pull the unit and replace it with an aftermarket.

So with all that out of the way, can you guide me on what are my options?

I have non-Bose speakers with the CDR23. Most people say that if I am to change to an aftermarket, I will have to remove the amp as well, and have everything rewired, but then I remember reading in a couple of post that they say that if it is a non-Bose system, you can get away with it (but don't specify exactly how).

Should I try buying the lower console and have somebody move the climate control below, and install a fancy system? Or just remove the radio and try to install an aftermarket stereo? Or just give up and use an FM transmitter?

I had an FM transmitter in my old miata, and it was a pain here in DC. When I changed the stereo, I was able to use Bluetooth and the sound was crytal clear.
My old FM transmitter was for an iPhone, so I cannot test it with the Boxster, but I was thinking maybe there is a better transmitter in the market and the sound quality may be acceptable. (yes, sound with the top down is always bad, but at least I want to be able to listen to some music or hear the Google map directions).

Sorry for the long post, but too many questions, and too anxious to start some work on the car.

Max_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
If you have an amp, you have MOST and will probably need to replace the amp, etc. No am, no MOST

Do a search for BLUETOOTH and you will fine some threads that will be helpful to you

BTW, without pictures of the car, it ain't real
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

Ok help me here...

First, less than a month old baby parked outside. It was clean until last weekend's storm...

Then, the picture of what I have inside. Just the climate control panel and the stereo CDR23.

Also, a friend of mine told me that this is the amp. Maybe you guys can confirm?

And finally, my month old baby...

I will look into Bluetooth posts but I thought that the CDR23 couldn't be modified except for adding the expensive mono aux input.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #4

I have an '03 with a CDR 23 and Becker MOST amp. I actually liked the sound of my stereo but the amp crapped out on me. So I ended up replacing everything: $100 JVC head unit, JBL amp and Polk Audio door and dash speakers. Does not sound as good as stock. The only pros are the USB for either my Ipod or S3 and you can adjust the color of the display. I got a perfect match to the orange colored Porsche displays. Here's the tricky part - figuring out which wires go to which speakers when you unplug the harness from the amp. Lots of trial and error, especially to get the polarity right. There are a lot of write ups on the double din installations and I was almost going to do this with one of those cheap Ebay units, but from the reviews, they didn't sound that great and I didn't want to spend $1000 on a Pioneer or Kenwood unit. I tried a sub-woofer in the frunk, but it sounded horrible. Lots of bass and buzzing outside the car, but not to much in the cabin. I may add some rear speakers - that should hep a bit. I can posts so pics if you want.

And yup, that's the amp.

Last edited by Gforrest2; 08-19-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Gforrest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #5

Please do share some pics.

So if I understand this correctly. You changed the head unit, the amp and the speakers? You couldn't reuse the same speakers or it was that they were of low quality??

Also, did you have to rewire everything? (I remember that if the amp was there, it means that the connectivity is via fiber)

Did you do the job yourself? Did you check how much are charging to get that job done?

I am a bit in doubt whether do it myself or have a professional do it. In my old Miata, I could make and break without any issue. But I am a bit intimidated by the technology on the Boxster.

Also, does it look more or less factory? That is one of the killers for me. Any aftermarket stereo will make it less factory and loose that charm of the original stereo.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
If you go with an aftermarket amp, you will have to wire it up

The factory dash speakers (non BOSE) suck. Look in the DIY section for replacing them
there are also threads on adding rear speakers

Ya just gotta do a little searching
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

I have a '99 with very low mileage that we bought new. We finally decided it was time to upgrade the sound system since we have no intention of selling the car. I wanted to stay as close to stock looking as possible and so I chose a single DIN head unit. Then had an amp with crossovers mounted below a panel with factory looking carpeting (and fan to keep the air circulating) in the frunk, keeping the factory amp in its original location. The speakers were changed in the door and dash using custom brackets so no damage was done behind the scenes and it looks completely stock. The installer also used the factory wire connectors for all speaker installations. The speakers are Dynaudio. This was an expensive install, but the sound is so, so much better, never mind the convenience of being able to use bluetooth for phone calls, and the Aux in for HD music.
2011 BMW 335ix Coupe, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1960 VW Type 1, 1962 VW Type 2 Truck
AP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP328 View Post
I have a '99 with very low mileage that we bought new. We finally decided it was time to upgrade the sound system since we have no intention of selling the car. I wanted to stay as close to stock looking as possible and so I chose a single DIN head unit. Then had an amp with crossovers mounted below a panel with factory looking carpeting (and fan to keep the air circulating) in the frunk, keeping the factory amp in its original location. The speakers were changed in the door and dash using custom brackets so no damage was done behind the scenes and it looks completely stock. The installer also used the factory wire connectors for all speaker installations. The speakers are Dynaudio. This was an expensive install, but the sound is so, so much better, never mind the convenience of being able to use bluetooth for phone calls, and the Aux in for HD music.
By any chance, can you share how much this install cost you (equipment and installation) and how long did it take them?

Also, what stereo unit did you get?
Old 08-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #9

Hi. I have a '99 as well. I put a new amp in the frunk, new speakers in the dash, and put speakers in the doors (it didn't have them). I just installed new wires, and completely bypassed the old junk. I now have Bluetooth, Pandora, satellite radio. Get in touch with Crutchfield audio. they can help with some technical info.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #10

There are some good guides on Renntech, you will need to register to view them (free):

Boxster (986) - Mods - 986 (Boxster) DIY - Tutorials - RennTech.org Forums

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/109-porsche-boxster-avic-d3-installation-instructions/

I have the facelift Boxster too and replaced my headunit a few years ago. As mentioned already, you will have to remove the CDR23, amp and CD changer as these are fibreoptically linked. Good news is you will get a good price for them on ebay.

I fitted a Pioneer 940BT nav unit and an Alpine amplifier, rear speakers and also upgraded the dash speakers. The door subwoofers are pretty good with a decent amp so I kepT them:

Last edited by Nimbus117; 08-20-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Nimbus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:46 AM   #11

One issue that you will face if you decide to go double DIN is relocating the climate controls. It looks like a previous owner installed or ordered the car with the console delete option. So, there is no center console below the dash to which you can move the controls.

Cute baby.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
One issue that you will face if you decide to go double DIN is relocating the climate controls. It looks like a previous owner installed or ordered the car with the console delete option. So, there is no center console below the dash to which you can move the controls.

Cute baby.
That is exactly my problem with that option. If I am going to install a nav unit, I have no place for the climate control. IT looks great, but it would mean that I would have to purchase the extra console (which I cannot even find it on ebay to purchase).

Do you know of any online store that sells that? Or Will I have to wait for another owner to sell it on ebay?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #13

Garage
I would consider getting a console from someone parting out a car. You can probably get it cheap, and you'll be able to sell the "Console delete" parts. Or just trade parts with someone looking for the "Console delete" option.

Tony
Old 08-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
I would consider getting a console from someone parting out a car. You can probably get it cheap, and you'll be able to sell the "Console delete" parts. Or just trade parts with someone looking for the "Console delete" option.

Tony
That's what I would consider as well. There are several listings for cars being parted out in the classifieds right now and you shouldn't have too much trouble obtaining the parts you need. Since the console delete kit is probably more difficult to find than a console, you might find you can sell it for more than the cost of a console. Apparently tall drivers find that removing the console makes the difference between comfort and discomfort.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_V View Post
By any chance, can you share how much this install cost you (equipment and installation) and how long did it take them?

Also, what stereo unit did you get?
The head unit is the Alpine 149BT. The equipment was about $2500 and the custom installation took about 5.5 days, but I only paid for 4 days.
2011 BMW 335ix Coupe, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1960 VW Type 1, 1962 VW Type 2 Truck
AP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #16

There is a bluetooth option from iSimple that will work through your antenna. It is similar to your FM modulator except it is hard wired (easy) between your antenna and head unit. When using the BT option, your antenna input is switched out at the device so there is no interference from neighboring radio stations.

I bought one of these off 'Amazing' fpr about $80, but never installed it as I sold the car. From what I read, it looked like a worthwhile option. Pedro markets it on his site as a BT option.

I still have it sitting in the box if you want to try that route.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote