View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Max_V

Lightbulb Upgrading stereo with aftermarket

Good day,

I have recently purchased an 03 Boxster, and like many others, one of the first thing that I would like to do, is connect my Galaxy S3 to the stereo.

Let me start saying that I am not too happy with getting an aftermarket as it kills the factory look.

However, I have seen very nice setup with touchscreens by moving the climate control and radio, and using a double din A/V unit. That would be nice to do, but my car does not have the lower part of the center console (so only the climate control and single din for the radio).

I read all about the CDR23 and the MOST connector but I am still a bit confused about whether I can pull the unit and replace it with an aftermarket.

So with all that out of the way, can you guide me on what are my options?

I have non-Bose speakers with the CDR23. Most people say that if I am to change to an aftermarket, I will have to remove the amp as well, and have everything rewired, but then I remember reading in a couple of post that they say that if it is a non-Bose system, you can get away with it (but don't specify exactly how).

Should I try buying the lower console and have somebody move the climate control below, and install a fancy system? Or just remove the radio and try to install an aftermarket stereo? Or just give up and use an FM transmitter?

I had an FM transmitter in my old miata, and it was a pain here in DC. When I changed the stereo, I was able to use Bluetooth and the sound was crytal clear.
My old FM transmitter was for an iPhone, so I cannot test it with the Boxster, but I was thinking maybe there is a better transmitter in the market and the sound quality may be acceptable. (yes, sound with the top down is always bad, but at least I want to be able to listen to some music or hear the Google map directions).

Sorry for the long post, but too many questions, and too anxious to start some work on the car.
Max_V is offline   Reply With Quote