Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Speeding 90+ through Virginia? = jail

Blog writer ignores warnings about severe speeding penalties, guns it over 90 mph with a GM marketing guy in the passenger of Camaro ZL1. Smokey nails him. Hires well known lawyer. New Judge says "don't care what deal you broker with prosecutor, I reject any deal that doesn't include jail time". Writer goes to jail.

Never Speed In Virginia: Lessons From My Three Days In Jail


"I should probably explain why going into Virginia to have fun in a car is a bad idea in the first place. See, they're crazy about speeding there. Really, really crazy. Speed limits are set absurdly low, 45 mph on some highways. Radar detectors are illegal, and cops have devices to detect them. And if you get caught going over 80 mph at all, that's automatically a reckless driving charge.

Reckless driving is not a traffic citation, it's a criminal charge
, and a Class One misdemeanor at that. That means it's the highest level of misdemeanor you can be charged with in Virginia, right below a felony. The maximum penalty for a reckless driving conviction is a $2,500 fine, a six month driver's license suspension, and up to a year in jail. P

See what I mean when I told you it's serious? They hand it out like it's Halloween candy, too. You drive 20 mph over the limit, it's reckless driving. They even charge you with it for failing to properly signal, or when you're found to be at fault in a car wreck. I've heard of some cases where people get 30 days in jail if they speed over 100 mph. P

Other Class One misdemeanors in Virginia include animal cruelty, sexual battery, and aiming a firearm at someone. This is how the state regards people who drive over 80 mph."
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,236
Evidently driving at speed equates to aiming a loaded weapon at an innocent.

Virginia isn't a very wealthy state, is it? I'm sure this is their way of keeping labor costs down for highway services (police, ambulance, fire) by way of far safer driving and also lines their pockets with the revenue from these speeding tickets and reckless driving charges.

I'm not saying any of this isn't usurious... I just thought I'd type out an explanation of sorts.
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Registered User
 
DennisAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 111
Idaho isn't a very wealthy state, but we post speed limits of 80 MPH on our freeways. That can't be the primary reason.
__________________
Base 2000 986, beater 1996 Miata, 2011 Suzuki SX4 AWD
Feline mechanics Condoleezza and Dukie
DennisAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,303
Garage
and Virginia is where a high percentage of Congress live
Too bad it was not one of them ....
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Evidently driving at speed equates to aiming a loaded weapon at an innocent.

Virginia isn't a very wealthy state, is it? I'm sure this is their way of keeping labor costs down for highway services (police, ambulance, fire) by way of far safer driving and also lines their pockets with the revenue from these speeding tickets and reckless driving charges.

I'm not saying any of this isn't usurious... I just thought I'd type out an explanation of sorts.
Virginia is one of the wealthier southern states, largely due to the D.C. suburbanites who have advanced degrees in business, law and medicine. And because of the military bases and the political pull that brings in Congress, they do all right as far as appropriations. But from what I understand that's where you're unlikely to go to jail for speeding, it's more the rural areas where Smokey doesn't like the bandit tearing up their roads. But its always a luck of the draw with Courts, there may be five judges one has a fast car and the other four hate them, which is exactly what happened here. The judge's discretion has a big spread of what charges can be reduced or not. But the law in Virginia puts them firmly in the driver's seat on whether you end up with a criminal record or not.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-15-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
Rennzenn
 
j.fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,355
Garage
Home, sweet home!!
There's a section of I95 just north of the NC border where local police hide in the median "cop holes" running radar. Often there will be three in a row. The speed limit may be 70, but 81 is reckless driving.
It's gone now, but back in the "drive 55" days, just past the "Welcome to VA" sign was another with a pic of a cop car with a car pulled over. The sign read something like "Virginia enforces the law. Drive 55"
__________________
Rennzenn
Jfro@rennzenn.com
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 608
Garage
NC says going 15 over the posted speed limit is careless and reckless driving. Automatic evocation of the drivers license, whether the conviction is in NC or not. In other words, if a NC licensed driver pleaded to 16 over in VA - when the conviction is reported back to NC- the State of NC will revoke your drivers license for a set period of time.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
South Carolina called, if NC revokes your license for your VA speeding ticket they'll put you on the chain gang in a striped prison uniform. And you don't want to know what Florida will do to you...
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 399
I live in Virginia and believe me I am always completely aware of my speed on ANY of the roads, not only highways. If you visit VA do NOT go over 80mph for any reason.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Giller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Listowel, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,120
Question from a Canadian

Curious - generally speaking, if the speed limit shows 55 MPH - what, if any, is a general accepted margin of error in the US? Here in Canada, on our major roads, you want to be within 15-20 KM/H (my rule of thumb is stay within 20% of the posted limit) - never had a problem in 20 years when I followed this.
__________________
2011 Boxster 987.2 Arctic silver / Black leather, PDK with Sports Chrono Package Plus
Giller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
On the slippery slope
 
JayG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,303
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Curious - generally speaking, if the speed limit shows 55 MPH - what, if any, is a general accepted margin of error in the US? Here in Canada, on our major roads, you want to be within 15-20 KM/H (my rule of thumb is stay within 20% of the posted limit) - never had a problem in 20 years when I followed this.
the speed limit is just that a limit. It is an absolute number

That being said, most cops give you a little wiggle room. I would think 5 mph is probably what most allow, some maybe 10.

I like the fact my speedo reads about 3-4 mpg fast. So if I want to make sure I am at or under the limit, I keep the speedo at the posted speed.
__________________
2004 Boxster S 6 speed - DRL relay hack, Polaris AutoTop DIY
2004 996 Targa Tip
Instructor - San Diego region, 2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
Registered User
 
newob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: tennesse
Posts: 73
How to get out of ticket

Back when I was 16 my landscaping boss gave me some sage advice on how to get out of a ticket. He told me he has been pulled over multiple times and very rarely Gets a ticket.
So here we go:
1. When you see those flashing lights, pull over ASAP, but do it where it is safe for an officer to get out. I.e. if there is no shoulder, pull into a parking lot.
2. Turn OFF the car, put keys on the dashboard, or if you really want to, roll down the driver window and put them on the roof. Shows you are not going to decide to run for it.
3. Roll all the windows down, all the way.
4. Turn on every light there is in the car. Overheads, passenger reading lights, everything.
5. Put your hands plainly visible. I like to put my left arm out the window, and my right hand on my head- not awkwardly just like keep them visible.
6. DO NOT HAVE YOUR PAPERWORK READY. Keep it buried in the bottom of the glove box inside an old envelope. As soon as you hand him you paperwork he is going to walk to his car with it and write you a ticket, so while you are "looking" for paperwork is when you talk to them
7. Don't go with the, oh I didn't know I was going that fast, or I didn't know the speed limit unless it is actually true. If you were speeding, admit it. Say it felt safe in your car. (Higher speeds feel safer in a porsche)
8. Be sincere and pleasant and apologize.
9. If you have a clean driving record, tell them! "I have never gotten a ticket before or been the cause of an accident."
10. The last thing you say before handing him you paperwork is "sir if there is anyway I could not get a ticket today, I would really appreciate it, I promise I will slow down."

My old boss said he has gotten pulled over upwards of 30 times and only gotten 2 tickets. He said one time he was going 20 over with hot pizza in the car and told the officer, yes I know I was speeding, I didn't want the pizza to be cold for my wife. Got out of it.

I personally have been pulled over 8 times and have always followed that and never gotten a ticket. One time I was going 19 over, one I was going 17 over.
__________________
2000 Boxster S

Last edited by newob; 08-15-2014 at 10:30 AM.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,456
Except for all of the crazy people here, maybe California's not so bad.

Here you have to be well into triple digits to be threatened with jail. And even then you're probably ok - like my friend who just got caught for 112mph; $700 fine but no reckless driving and no jail.

And I recently acquired a citation for doing 84mph (in a 65mph) on the way to work. Pretty routine. Reckless driving? Revoke your driving license? Seriously? That is insanity. I'll pay around $300 and take an internet traffic school course and it won't even go on my record.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 08-15-2014 at 11:40 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Here you have to be well into triple digits to be threatened with jail. And even then you're probably ok - like my friend who just got caught for 112mph; $700 fine but no reckless driving and no jail.
Someone was actually free of traffic long enough to do 112 in LA?
I thought that only happened in old episodes of CHiPS?
One of my favorite shows, I still remember that intro music.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Emerald City
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
Back when I was 16 my landscaping boss gave me some sage advice on how to get out of a ticket. He told me he has been pulled over multiple times and very rarely Gets a ticket.
So here we go:
1. When you see those flashing lights, pull over ASAP, but do it where it is safe for an officer to get out. I.e. if there is no shoulder, pull into a parking lot.
2. Turn OFF the car, put keys on the dashboard, or if you really want to, roll down the driver window and put them on the roof. Shows you are not going to decide to run for it.
3. Roll all the windows down, all the way.
4. Turn on every light there is in the car. Overheads, passenger reading lights, everything.
5. Put your hands plainly visible. I like to put my left arm out the window, and my right hand on my head- not awkwardly just like keep them visible.
I'm gonna out myself as a copper here in hopes I can help some folks with this advice. These five are pretty good. Number one, the most important thing is to pull over safely. If the officer needs to move you, he will. Make sure you pull safely all the way out of the roadway to the right (or left if the shoulder is big enough and its safer to do so). Put your hands on the wheel. You don't need to be too awkward about it, or we think you're a gangbanger that knows the drill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
6. DO NOT HAVE YOUR PAPERWORK READY. Keep it buried in the bottom of the glove box inside an old envelope. As soon as you hand him you paperwork he is going to walk to his car with it and write you a ticket, so while you are "looking" for paperwork is when you talk to them
While I'd say this is true, I usually wait until I have all the paperwork before i start talking. I want your undivided attention as I find out what the deal is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
7. Don't go with the, oh I didn't know I was going that fast, or I didn't know the speed limit unless it is actually true. If you were speeding, admit it. Say it felt safe in your car. (Higher speeds feel safer in a porsche)
8. Be sincere and pleasant and apologize.
9. If you have a clean driving record, tell them! "I have never gotten a ticket before or been the cause of an accident."
I could care less about driving records, as could many of my colleagues. 19 warnings for speeding won't show up on your record. And they may not show up in my system. Tickets, yes. Warnings, not always. Don't make it seem like your Porsche gives you the right to speed. You'll probably get a ticket. DO be honest. I know why I stopped you and if you're going to assume I'm an idiot and tell me you have no idea why you're being stopped and you were going 55 in that 55 zone, trust me when I tell you, that's the easiest ticket to write. No one likes a liar. Oh and there's bonus points if you ask if you're sure he's stopping the correct car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
10. The last thing you say before handing him you paperwork is "sir if there is anyway I could not get a ticket today, I would really appreciate it, I promise I will slow down."
I'm gonna say number 10 is a no. People who have to ask for warnings are likely to get tickets. I say this from experience. You were speeding. The law says you get a ticket. However, if I feel that a warning is all it takes you to slow down a bit, you'll get one. If you have to ask for a warning, I have zero sympathy. Just some friendly advice from a fellow Porsche owner. Be safe out there boys (and girls).
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:08 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
10. The last thing you say before handing him you paperwork is "sir if there is anyway I could not get a ticket today, I would really appreciate it, I promise I will slow down."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
I'm gonna say number 10 is a no. People who have to ask for warnings are likely to get tickets. I say this from experience. You were speeding. The law says you get a ticket. However, if I feel that a warning is all it takes you to slow down a bit, you'll get one. If you have to ask for a warning, I have zero sympathy. Just some friendly advice from a fellow Porsche owner. Be safe out there boys (and girls).
What if, after the promise to slow down, they said, "Swear to God and hope to die; stick a needle in my eye?" Would that do it, because it shows how serious they are about slowing down?

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Registered User
Speeding through Virginia

All in all, I think I'll just avoid Virginia. I live in Alabama, so if if my trip will take me through Virginia I'll just catch a plane instead.
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Chuck W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) So.Cal.
Posts: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
I'm gonna out myself as a copper here in hopes I can help some folks with this advice......
Thanks, & thanks for your service. Be safe out there.

KMA367 (retd)
__________________
1995 Porsche C4 Cab

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page