Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 03:03 AM   #1

HELP! putint top upand heard a loud POP!

Like the title says. Last night I put the top up and noticed it was sluggish going up and the clamshell was slow to close. This morning I noticed the dash light illuminated for the top, so I tried to close it all the way. The clamshell was already flush with the trunk but I wanted the light to extinguish. The motor hummed for a but as I hit the button, then "BANG", now nothing...

I'm sure it's a cable issue but where do I start?

Also, with this condition how do I open the clamshell and the roof?

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:18 AM   #2

Pictures of the offending problem, and part numbers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:12 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

I know 986 somehow disconnected all that and just puts the top up & down manually. Don't know how that works. Someone else does that too.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
DIY extremist

You've probably broken one of the plastic "cabriolet top pushrod" tips. They are very cheap and easy to fix, but if it broke once there is likely a problem with alignment and they will keep breaking until adjusted. Do it right the first time. I broke two on my 986 before I got it right.

The top will still operate with one borked rod, but you will want to help it along manually to avoid stressing the remaining piece until you fix the problem.

You can buying the rod here Pelican Parts - Product Information: 986-561-279-02-M737.

Pro tip: You should remove any broken parts flopping around in there. If the rod is allowed to move around broken, it can tear up other stuff, like the foam tray that directs water into drain vents and prevents the floorboard of the car from flooding in heavy rain. Don't ask how I know this.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 AM   #5

Garage
The hummimg you heard was likely the v arms trying to drive the control arms that move the clamshell and the top. To open up the clamshell at this point you will need to remove the rods to the clamshell. These are the big black arms that go between the v arm and the body colored clam shell arms. Pelican has a few good pictures along with the 101 Book. From there it is going to be straight up diagnostics.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:58 AM   #6

Black-box, the button has no effect on the top at this point.

BFeller, With the top and button inoperative, how do I remove the rods to the clamshell?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:19 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Black-box, the button has no effect on the top at this point.

BFeller, With the top and button inoperative, how do I remove the rods to the clamshell?

One way I found was to reach through the passenger compartment. Remove the pushrods with the plastic ends that raise and lower the top, removed the bar holds the 'skirt' below the clamshell - it might allow you to get the top in somewhat of a service mode with the clamshell closed. Then work on those black rods that move the clamshell. I have some pics at home- if I can get them posted tonight it might help. Expect those clamshell rods to be under tension and to make a loud sound when disconnected - if that clamshell is down tight. You have a earlier model top assembly?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
Registered Boxster abuser

Normally if one rod end is broken the other side will still start to open... but help the lid up otherwise the cover will twist and bend!

I use one of these products.

Porsche Boxster Pair Metal Convertible Top Push Rod Pivot Ball | eBay

but since your top does not move at all I suspect something else...
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #9

Bfeller, mines a 2003
Old 08-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #10

Garage

Those are three photos. In the first photo - you can just see a pushrod that has separated from the end with the socket. You can just barely see bolt that attaches it to the V arm. I have found it easier to remove that bolt on occasion.

The second picture shows how I remove the clips that hold the clamshell cylinders. Wear gloves - they release with force.

The last picture shows a bent rod - it was not noticeable until set next to the other one.

I was rushed in my earlier replies so bear with me if things are repeated. With the top up - and nothing working - going through the cabin - detaching the cables on the soft top - the same ones for service mode - and the back of the soft top were it attaches by the trunk is helpful. Being a lefty working from the drivers seat on the connections was easiest. Getting in there and popping the clips that hold the cylinders on the clam shell in place is easier once the soft top is in service mode. If the clam shell is jammed things are under tension. I found that gloves helped because the force to pull the clips also meant that my knuckles would be banging around when the clip released.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #11

Garage
Oh - and this information Maurice and contained in Mike Focke's pages is excellent. https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

There is also extensive trouble shooting information in many posts over at the Renntech pages.