Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #1

Automotive Lifts

Anyone care to recommend a lift for my garage? I really don't want to have a permanent lift (2 post or 4 lift) anchored into the concrete, and I don't want to consume all my garage space on a permanent basis.

Anyone ever use the following or something similar you would recommend?

MSC-6K Mobile Single Column Lift | North American Auto Equipment

:dance:

Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #2

Check out the Max Jack. Works great and you can roll them out of the way when not in use.
Sisu guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I have a four post lift. They are pretty affordable and can be used to store an extra car besides doing all of the typical work.

A four post lift does NOT need to be anchored to the floor (free standing is perfectly fine).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #4

How do you find the ones you have as far as wheels off service goes? Any interference with the platform planks?

Other than this I would think you would really get a lot use out of a four post. It might even be unduly oversubscribed for car storage!
Old 12-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #5

Garage
I chose an Atlas Lift for my pair, non-anchored, moveable, 8,000 lb. capacity.
Attached Images

'04 Boxster S Special Edition #397
'04 911 40th Anniversary Edition #940
'06 Cayman S
BugsFerBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #6

Scissor lift is another option I have a 7,000 lb. rated Ammco that I have recessed into the floor that works great. Bought it used off of CL it has two lift cylinders and the hydraulic pumps works off of 110 volt .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #7

Garage
+1 for the atlas 8K pound 4 post. Bought mine from greg smith equipment for just over $2,000 delivered to the local freight office where they loaded it on my trailer, I brought it home and the wife and I put it together in a few hours. Totally happy with it.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #8

I went through the decision on this a couple of years ago. From my research 4 post lifts were great for stacking / storing cars along with working on them except for suspension / wheel / brake service which would require individual jacks optioned onto the lift. 2 post lifts are the best for servicing / working on your car but not a great choice for storing / stacking due to suspension sag, some debate that though. Either way you will want to lay out the lift and columns in your garage as a mock-up (I used corrugated sheets and large tubes as the columns) to see how much room it actually takes up, it's more than you would think.

Unfortunately a 2 or 4 post lift was not an option for me due to limited ceiling height and bumping it up would not work either. I ended up going with an Atlas scissor lift that I recessed into the floor, bought it from Greg Smith also, been very happy thus far. Link to the Project:

Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Knowing what I know now for my particular situation I would of done this instead:

In-floor Scissor Lift Install - The Garage Journal Board
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #9

Garage
When I bought my atlas lift I also got the optional jack platform that slides wherever you need it the length of the lift (an extra $500). It is perfect for brake/suspension work as you can lift from thr jack points . It easily lifts either end of the car.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #10

Okay so the four post is okay for suspension and wheel work provided you have the extra jacks....Are they a pain to set up and actuate....? Lots of cables and pedals dangling? Can you sinc. front and back lifts?

Scissors seem really nice and neat but no storage and some interference underneath....really like these ones but they are British though. It looks like you can get frame or wheel lift: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9mooX9IW3V4
Old 12-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

I love my four post and I'm soooo glad I went with a four post over a two. The biggest positive for me is that I can move it wherever I want. The only downfall with my four is you can't drop a motor down through it. Other four post might be wide enough. Mine has a 3 inch lip on each side the would get in the way. My plan is to cut the lip and weld some reinforcement, so I can drop a motor. Right now I unbolt everything and then roll the car back with the back 1/3 hanging off. I then lift the car and the motor/trans come out. It sounds dangerous, but I've done a few Boxsters and even a Camaro with that method.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Okay so the four post is okay for suspension and wheel work provided you have the extra jacks....Are they a pain to set up and actuate....? Lots of cables and pedals dangling? Can you sinc. front and back lifts?

Scissors seem really nice and neat but no storage and some interference underneath....really like these ones but they are British though. It looks like you can get frame or wheel lift: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9mooX9IW3V4

From what I understand set-up with any of them is not that big of a deal, just takes a few hours, be patient and follow the directions.

Regarding your comment on scissor lifts somewhat interfering, on a Porsche with a mid or rear engine things aren't too bad, on a conventional car the framework can be a nuisance. I still use ramps to change the oil in the wife's and kids' cars since it's actually faster, if I had the individual lifts I referenced second center access would be much better.

Greg Smith Equipment likely has something you'd like, they were absolutely great to deal with.

Greg Smith Equipment Sales Inc. - The car lift professionals with quality automotive equipment at discount prices.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I love my four post and I'm soooo glad I went with a four post over a two. The biggest positive for me is that I can move it wherever I want. The only downfall with my four is you can't drop a motor down through it. Other four post might be wide enough. Mine has a 3 inch lip on each side the would get in the way. My plan is to cut the lip and weld some reinforcement, so I can drop a motor. Right now I unbolt everything and then roll the car back with the back 1/3 hanging off. I then lift the car and the motor/trans come out. It sounds dangerous, but I've done a few Boxsters and even a Camaro with that method.
Woody I was afraid that someone was going to say that you can't drop an engine though the platforms!! Do you have a minimum clearance dimension for the inside of the platforms for engine passage?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
From what I understand set-up with any of them is not that big of a deal, just takes a few hours, be patient and follow the directions.

Regarding your comment on scissor lifts somewhat interfering, on a Porsche with a mid or rear engine things aren't too bad, on a conventional car the framework can be a nuisance. I still use ramps to change the oil in the wife's and kids' cars since it's actually faster, if I had the individual lifts I referenced second center access would be much better.

Greg Smith Equipment likely has something you'd like, they were absolutely great to deal with.

Greg Smith Equipment Sales Inc. - The car lift professionals with quality automotive equipment at discount prices.
Okay thanks....will check them out. How steady is your scissor lift?

Yes need to have a plan before shopping for a garbage......er em house

Last edited by jaykay; 12-21-2014 at 07:56 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsFerBrains View Post
I chose an Atlas Lift for my pair, non-anchored, moveable, 8,000 lb. capacity.
How tall is your ceiling? I've been debating a 4 post lift and done the measurements, but mine seems like it is JUST going to be tall enough at 9'9" to store two cars ( Boxster & Audi), so curious of your height after seeing the picture.
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #16

Garage
Pirate50,
Our ceiling height is 12', plenty of clearance.
…purchased our Atlas lift from Greg Smith, they are great to work with.
'04 Boxster S Special Edition #397
'04 911 40th Anniversary Edition #940
'06 Cayman S
BugsFerBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Okay thanks....will check them out. How steady is your scissor lift?

Yes need to have a plan before shopping for a garbage......er em house

The Scissor lift I have is rock steady, with Porsches or SUV's on it.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #18

Garage
My ceiling height is 9 foot and just barely enough to stack 2 porsches with the tops down on the atlas 8,000 pound lift. I measured very carefully before buying it to be sure they would fit since I needed to get 3 cars in a 2 car garage as well as work on them.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Woody I was afraid that someone was going to say that you can't drop an engine though the platforms!! Do you have a minimum clearance dimension for the inside of the platforms for engine passage?
I believe the boxster motor is about 35 inches wide. Some four post lifts have platforms that you can move left or right. It all matters on how much $$ you want to spend