Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #21

Garage
Yes lower vents

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #22

Yes and I also use the lower vents when it's really hot outside. I put the top down every time I drive unless I'm heading to work or it's raining. Cool weather, hot weather, top is down!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #23

Wife uses it all the time...SoCal...
Old 07-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #24

Garage
Never have. if it gets that hot I put top up and AC on (once)
I was just joking with my wife about putting AC on with the top down
I should use my AC more(used it 2,3 times in 2 years- daily driving) to keep it in shape
I have always rarely used AC in any car

I do use the heater when colder
Old 07-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #25

Garage
Only when it gets really hot... like last Sunday, it was 97˚F here in the Bay Area.
fab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #26

Top down, Windows up, AC on!
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #27

Garage
Absolutely!

There are times it gets too hot and the top has to go up, but usually the top is always down and I almost always have the AC going.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Not sure if its only me but the performance of the 2.5 seems to be different when the compressor is at mid or full blast. Feels (more) sluggish when the AC if ON dunno. Trying not to use the AC too often as I'm mostly using the 986 for joy rides here
not just you. AC on any car draws power from the engine. the more powerful the engine, the less you may notice. I can imagine that running AC on Electric vehicles is devastating to the battery life.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #29

I like to let the AC blast for a few minutes to cool down the interior, then drop the top. I don't like hot leather. But in general unless its really hot I don't run the AC with the top down.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #30

Hell yes! It's hot in Florida!
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #31

Yes. And I find that my engine runs cooler since the AC keeps the condenser fans running.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #32
Carnut

Yes, try Utah in the blazing sun!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #33

If it's that hot, I put the top up and I use the A/C.

But if it's just a little warm, I have ventilated seats, and those work quite nicely, thank you.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerber28 View Post
Sure do, I'll kick on the A/C to activate the radiator cooling fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog View Post
Yes. And I find that my engine runs cooler since the AC keeps the condenser fans running.
I do the same. Full blast. I close the vents so I don't freeze my legs. Especially if I hit any traffic in these high summer temps. Then I watch my low temp thermostat do its thing as the needle starts tilting to the left. Basically if I lived anywhere that has lots of 90+ degree days and plenty of traffic...I'm running the AC if its top up or down.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
so you are one of the few Zonies that don't come to San Diego for the summer? LOL
Actually I am a born and raised Southern Californian. If I go to SoCal it's to the Pasadena area to visit my brother. Half the people here are from California getting away from the high cost of living and the others half from the Mid-West to get away for the long winters. But I know what you mean a ton of people head to San Diego. I just put the hardtop on.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:26 AM   #36

I don't have to a ton in my area, but I definitely drive with the AC on when it's really hot out. Especially while I'm rowing the gears and navigating the lights on my way to the highway.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
not just you. AC on any car draws power from the engine. the more powerful the engine, the less you may notice. I can imagine that running AC on Electric vehicles is devastating to the battery life.
Interesting. Knew it would draw a bit more current but to a point of reducing power by almost 1/3 (feels like it anyway) that is a bit harsh. And a news to me for sure. Maybe the 2.5 is not geared for that huge compressor

Fine with blasting the AC on the other cars I have here... feels different for sure but no major power loss as the 986-like.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Interesting. Knew it would draw a bit more current but to a point of reducing power by almost 1/3 (feels like it anyway) that is a bit harsh. And a news to me for sure. Maybe the 2.5 is not geared for that huge compressor

Fine with blasting the AC on the other cars I have here... feels different for sure but no major power loss as the 986-like.
the electrical power is only engaging the clutch on the compressor. the actual compressing (pumping) is done by the belt that is linked into the engine rotation. so obviously it takes energy to turn the compressor, more so when it is on and pumping freon (about 30hp).
however, 1/3 power loss does seem excessive. could be an issue with the pump or clutch. if it is not working correctly and is more difficult to turn, it could be putting more load on the engine. I would remove the belt, and apply 12V to the clutch wire with a jumper clip. Try to turn it by hand, If it turns moderately easily then the unit is normal. If it is really hard to to turn then the compressor or some other aspect of the AC may be defective.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
the electrical power is only engaging the clutch on the compressor. the actual compressing (pumping) is done by the belt that is linked into the engine rotation. so obviously it takes energy to turn the compressor, more so when it is on and pumping freon (about 30hp).
however, 1/3 power loss does seem excessive. could be an issue with the pump or clutch. if it is not working correctly and is more difficult to turn, it could be putting more load on the engine. I would remove the belt, and apply 12V to the clutch wire with a jumper clip. Try to turn it by hand, If it turns moderately easily then the unit is normal. If it is really hard to to turn then the compressor or some other aspect of the AC may be defective.
Oh I see now. I was convinced it was linked to an immense additional power (current) consumption lol. Didn't realized it had to do with the AC pulley/pumping resistance. I'll get this one checked as soon as the engine panel is removed for sure.

* maybe not 1/3 but for sure it is missing more than 10-20 hp (on the butt-dyno scale anyway). Given I only have something like 200HP on the 2.5... that's a lot missing. Hate the AC!

So it's just mine then. I'll get that AC compressor checked out. Thanks for helping btw
Old 07-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #40

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
yes all the time and I live on the West Coast of Canada !

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote