Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #1

Painting brake calipers on non S models

Just wondering if anyone with a non-S 986 or 987 has had their brake calipers painted aftermarket - and, if so:
1. How much did you pay?
2. Did you have the Porsche logo put back on? Was it a decal or actually painted back on?
3. Are you satisfied?

I contacted my dealer and was quoted about $1600 (yikes!!) ABD Racing in soCal quoted about $400 (including replacing the logo). On my 03 beetle I had a local modification shop paint my calipers last year and i paid less than a $100 bucks (of course, no logo to worry about) and it turned out okay.

Btw, I'd probably go yellow (not b/c I'm trying to mimick the ceramics, but I think it would look exceptional against the black paint and the 19" Carrera S wheels on my 987)

Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #2

HI,

I have not painted the Calipers on my 986, but I did do them on my Lotus Esprit. In fact, I Powdercoated them which looks even better and lasts much longer.

Any Powdercoater can do them, but I did mine myself with a $65 Starter Kit (Transformer, Gun, and Sundries) from Harbor Freight and $7 worth of Hi-Temp Powder, easy to use and they turned out great. Used the Home Oven set to 450° to cure them.

I rebuilt the Calipers at the same time, so removed the Pistons and seals, then cleaned the Calipers in a Blast Cabinet and followed up with a solvent. Six years later, and they still look great - no corrosion or heat problems. Something to consider...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #3

I did my Dodge Dakota 3 years ago when I purchased some open Enki wheels. I just used Silver Barbecue paint as it has high heat resistance. It has stayed looking great for the whole time. Perhaps not what you had in mind, but this cost all of $15.00 ! For that I did all calipers and rear (in my case) drums. Each had 4 coats.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #4

I did my 986 back in November before it got to cold here in Boston. I used red G2 Brake Caliper Paint and black porshe brake caliper stickers gotten off ebay. It took me about 4 hrs total and I put 4 coats on, only calls for 3. It looks ridiculous, has the ceramic look to it, and the stickers still look perfect after a winter here in New England. I got some 18"s put on and now they show and look even better. I think it wasw the best thing I have done to the car appearance wise.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #5

sounds awesome - thanks for the posts! I saw a set of those caliper stickers on ebay a while back - definitely an idea now.

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 03-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #6

I painted my calipers with wood stove high heat black metalflake, it's lasted on my pellet stove for years at extreme temps. You can purchase high heat resistant caliper decals on E bay, easy to install. I also painted the "hats" where the wheel mounts flat black.
stucatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #7

I'm gonna take the plunge - talked with the local custom/mod shop down the street that painted the calipers on my 03 Beetle a year ago - cost should be the same (maybe a lil more as I'll probably pay for two boxes of paint to have each caliper painted at least 4, if not 5 times).

Ordered the Porsche caliper decals (carbon fiber) on eBay today and once the paint arrives, will drop it off. Gonna go with Yellow for a wicked contrast against the black and 19" Carrera S wheels.

Will post pix after its done!

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 10-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #8

Mach, did you ever paint your calipers? How'd this turn out?

Now that I'm getting some nice carrera lights for my box, I think this should be my next mod...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
KronixSpeed

hey i did mine also by myself...was sooo easy. i also bought porsche decals on ebay.....very nice upgrade....its going to look even sweeeter on the S cross drilled rotors.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
KronixSpeed

oops sorry i didnt realize non S, mine is a non S also...painted calipers on the cross drilled rotors look even better....esspecially when the rotors are huge also.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
KronixSpeed

--------------------------------
Old 10-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #12

Kronix, I have a couple of follow up questions...

Did you remove your calipers to do the painting?
Did you use a brush system or a spray? What brand?
How many coats did you put on?
Old 10-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #13
KronixSpeed

hey

i did not remove the calipers, i taped everything up around them.

brush but i wish i had a spray system. but the brush was okay it ended up doing it smoothly.

i'm not sure the brand, some GT-3 paint Euro something. but mine is also alittle bit on the yellow side. sometimes they look dark and but sometimes they look yellow(in bright light). i kinda was looking for the orangy or carrera yellow paint colour. but they ended up looking pretty good. i am very satisfied.

3 coats, to get it really even. the brush kinda sucks, so the third coat really helps. looks good at the end. no powder coat ordeal. the paint is high grade and thick pasty...not bad.

hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #14

So how do you clean painted rotors? My non-S black ones...don't need cleaning...
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
So how do you clean painted rotors? My non-S black ones...don't need cleaning...

Hi,

You can use Brake Cleaner/Degreaser. I think you mean Calipers, not rotors, rotors aren't usually painted. Most Caliper paints are epoxies and will be immune to it, but it will remove the Brake Dust pretty well without hurting the paint. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 AM   #16

Caliper Sticker question: Will the stickers from xenonmod.com fall off or peel off if I do not clearcoat my calipers after I've painted them red and applied my stickers?

Anyone on this board done the painting and caliper stickers from this ebay seller and NOT clear coated over them? How long have the stickers lasted? How do you clean your calipers to insure the stickers don't get scrubbed off?

I just can't imagine taking off my rims and masking off the whole wheel area AGAIN (and covering the whole car for that matter) just to clear coat spray the calipers to keep the stickers on.

But, I will if I must. I do not want to have to fiddle with the stickers in six months or whatever...
Old 11-06-2006, 10:45 AM   #17
KronixSpeed

Hey i did not apply clear coat and i did buy the decals from xenonmod.com. i have had them on my calipers for 7000km now and they still look new. i have white decals. i have had my calipers covered in brake dust and just cleaned the rims n calipers no differently with a sponge/soap and spray gun. they are not coming off. brake dust has not got around them, causing the sides to go black...they are perfect after 7000km!!!

hope this helps
Old 11-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #18

Thanks, Kronix! I'm still on the fence though. Here's why...

The guy who owns xenonmods.com emailed me this afternoon to say I should definitely clear coat spray the calipers to insure the stickers stay in place forever. He said they'd probably last a year or two if I was careful when cleaning the calipers, but they would not last indefinitely like they would if I clear coat sprayed them to seal them in around the edges of the sticker, preventing dirt and grime to work its way under each letter.

Dang. Now I feel compelled to take off the rims and do this project before I drive the car. Grrrr.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #19
KronixSpeed

hmmm i think its a good idea to clear coat them. the extra work will be better in the long run.

in my case i should be okay, he messed up and sent me two orders....so i have 2 sets of the silver bulbs (4) and decals i now have 12 minus the 4 i put on....lol.

do the clear coat, its worth it. everytime i clean the calipers, it feels like they'll just turn black.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
clear coat is not neccessary at all, i had those painted on my other car, and 2 years later they looked like the day i painted them, even after a brake job
worked for me, hopefully it will work for you too

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote