Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: how much do you tip the valet?
$0-$1 2 11.76%
$2 1 5.88%
$3 3 17.65%
$4 1 5.88%
$5 10 58.82%
$10 0 0%
$20 0 0%
$21+ 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #21

what's a valet?!
and
tipping is generally a USA thing.
Like someone just said, why tip someone for doing their job?
I expect people to do their job well.
But I think it's more a tax issue in the USA - the workers get tax on what the government THINK they will be tipped?

anyway, more to the point I wouldn't let a valet park my car even if I ever encountered one

Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
I've never seen or heard of "valet" parking and we never tip in Australia, unless its for exceptional service from (say) a waiter.....
Why would you tip someone when they are being paid to do their job??
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc88 View Post
what's a valet?!
and
tipping is generally a USA thing.
Like someone just said, why tip someone for doing their job?
I expect people to do their job well.
But I think it's more a tax issue in the USA - the workers get tax on what the government THINK they will be tipped?

anyway, more to the point I wouldn't let a valet park my car even if I ever encountered one
"Tips" jobs in the U.S., like that of a watiress, pay well below the minimum hourly wage with the expectation that the customer will be paying the waiter/waitress an optional 15% gratuity on the check. This wage has not seen an increase in 23 years, and if you account for inflation since then, it's $1.25 an hour.

I used to be a waiter where there were many European tourists. They didn't educate themselves on tipping before visiting and would nearly always leave zero or even cross out the line where it would say gratuity. But then I worked my way up to a much fancier establishment and those tourists seem to know the deal. The significantly lower prices from what they were accustomed to seeing must have "tipped" them off thant there was a different pricing convention in the works.

Nearly all hospitality or convenience services positions in the U.S. pay at or below the minimum hourly wage.

Valet parking is mandatory in many parking garages here in the U.S.
And you really don't want to park where the average motorist is allowed to park their car next to yours.
That's far worse than giving a valet your own car. At least his boss is accountable should there be an issue.
The guy that parks next to you (in a completely empty parking lot) and dings your car is not accountable if he/she leaves before you come back.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-09-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #23
Porsche

I will rarely use valet, how ever if i do i tip in and out. Most people who take your car are not always there to return it so they wont see that portion of the tip. So in order to be fair you should tip in and out. I also will only use valet if i can visible see the parking area, i hate it when the car goes into a dark dungeon like garage where you have to move 5 cars just to get one out. No thanks ill park and walk.
Speedy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #24

I don't let anyone else drive my Porsche...period!

So no tip at all.

Honestly I avoid valets at all costs.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote