Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 01:23 AM   #1

Battery / Storage Dilemma

Hi,

I have a 2002 Porsche Boxster S. I don't have an electrical outlet in my garage which means it isn't possible to trickle charge the car continuously. I usually use the car every 2/3 weeks, but sometimes over the winter months it can be 6-8 weeks.

I'm just wondering what the best way to preserve the battery is whilst I'm not using the car? Previously I had been leaving the car unlocked with the front bonnet open (in a secured garage), but I've just had to replace the battery because it died completely. Is it better to leave the car locked or unlocked? (someone said its better to lock it as the car will go into sleep mode)

Does anyone have any advice? e.g

- Is it better to lock the car or leave it unlocked if it isn't being used for long periods?
- I could look at trying some sort of solar charger and running a lead outside the garage, or should I just run a long extension lead down to the garage every month or so and recharge the battery? getting a permanent feed down there just isn't possible.

Thanks in advance

whooosh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooosh1 View Post
Hi,

I have a 2002 Porsche Boxster S. I don't have an electrical outlet in my garage which means it isn't possible to trickle charge the car continuously. I usually use the car every 2/3 weeks, but sometimes over the winter months it can be 6-8 weeks.

I'm just wondering what the best way to preserve the battery is whilst I'm not using the car? Previously I had been leaving the car unlocked with the front bonnet open (in a secured garage), but I've just had to replace the battery because it died completely. Is it better to leave the car locked or unlocked? (someone said its better to lock it as the car will go into sleep mode)

Does anyone have any advice? e.g

- Is it better to lock the car or leave it unlocked if it isn't being used for long periods?
- I could look at trying some sort of solar charger and running a lead outside the garage, or should I just run a long extension lead down to the garage every month or so and recharge the battery? getting a permanent feed down there just isn't possible.

Thanks in advance

Several companies make solar powered maintainers which would work. Your second option would be to pull the battery out of the car and bring it into the house and leave it on a maintainer there.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #3

I had the same problem. I do 2 things:

1. I bought an AGM battery. Much slower self-discharge rate. Bought from these guys. Good price and free shipping:
Exide EDGE Automotive AGM Battery | Exide EDGE AGM Batteries - Battery Service Corporation

2. I disconnect the + terminal (I also remove the frunk lid catch. Super quick and easy, and no chance of locking myself out of the frunk). That way I can leave the battery with no charger for a month or longer with no worries.

On my 2003 all I have to do when I reconnect the battery is set the clock. Nothing else to reset. I'm not sure about the 2002 (radio code?).
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #4

Only problem with disconnecting the battery is you clear all the settings in the ECU, making it re-learn mapping when you drive again. This could be troublesome if the ECU is compensating for conditions outside the normal operating range. It also takes numerous cycles to "ready" all phases for emissions.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta View Post
Only problem with disconnecting the battery is you clear all the settings in the ECU, making it re-learn mapping when you drive again. This could be troublesome if the ECU is compensating for conditions outside the normal operating range. It also takes numerous cycles to "ready" all phases for emissions.
I do this a lot since I often have to leave town for weeks or even a month. This might be a "problem" in theory, but I've had no problems. If my ECU has to learn anything, it does it unobtrusively and shows no symptoms of any kind. I reconnect the battery, reset the clock, fire her up and drive away. Absolutely no issues at all !

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote