View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooosh1 View Post
Hi,

I have a 2002 Porsche Boxster S. I don't have an electrical outlet in my garage which means it isn't possible to trickle charge the car continuously. I usually use the car every 2/3 weeks, but sometimes over the winter months it can be 6-8 weeks.

I'm just wondering what the best way to preserve the battery is whilst I'm not using the car? Previously I had been leaving the car unlocked with the front bonnet open (in a secured garage), but I've just had to replace the battery because it died completely. Is it better to leave the car locked or unlocked? (someone said its better to lock it as the car will go into sleep mode)

Does anyone have any advice? e.g

- Is it better to lock the car or leave it unlocked if it isn't being used for long periods?
- I could look at trying some sort of solar charger and running a lead outside the garage, or should I just run a long extension lead down to the garage every month or so and recharge the battery? getting a permanent feed down there just isn't possible.

Thanks in advance

Several companies make solar powered maintainers which would work. Your second option would be to pull the battery out of the car and bring it into the house and leave it on a maintainer there.