Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #61
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
VW is just looking to use the badge to dump their turbo 4 banger engines into a much higher priced/higher margin car.
Bingo! PL, you nailed it.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #62

The 924S and 944 were the same chassis...

Apart from the larger fenders, newer interior, wheels, etc. of the 944, they were the same car with the 924s being ever so slightly lighter. Performance was really not different as the weights were pretty close, but the 924S had a very slight top speed advantage due to the slightly slicker body. I am sure all the tooling for the 986 chassis is long gone and it probably does not meet some sort of government standards nowadays. I would love to see them come out with a really small roadster (miata size), and I am fine with a turbo four and ~220 hp if the weight is in the 2300lb range....no nav, no heated seats, etc...just the basics and with great fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Do you all remember the 924s, took the 944 engine and put it in the 924 and this very old chassis was much faster than the 944 and cheaper...... They need to do that with the 986 chassis, make a few styling changes, and dump a modern engine in.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #63
Damn Yankee

Garage
How about some facts instead of the rumor, conjecture, opinion, and wishful thinking?

“Porsche CEO Matthias Muller recently confirmed that the Boxster and Cayman will get a four-cylinder engine derived from the current flat six in the near future…..the smaller engine reduces weight and improves handling – though the primary drivers include improved efficiency and reduced CO2 emissions. Muller noted the new four-cylinder engines could make up to 395 hp.”

source: Porsche Panorama 687 - June 2014

"We've decided not a build a roadster below the Boxster, [and] we will not offer an SUV below the Macan because it will not be a perfect fit... We found that we would be irritating our current customers." - Bernhard Maier - Porsche AG Board Member for Global Sales and Marketing

source: Porsche Panorama 684 - March 2014

“Porsche’s management team is actively considering a seventh model line, and the decision could made “by the middle of the year” said CEO Matthias Muller in Leipzig at the opening of the Macan production line in February.” “A new sports car in the $250,000 range to rival Ferrari’s 458 is under consideration…….Muller said that a seventh model line would give Porsche a more balanced range." “Most cars have a seven-year life cycle,” said Muller. “If we had seven models , we could have a major event each year, as well as the variants.” A family sedan to rival the BMW 5 Series is also on the table, "
source: Porsche Panorama 685 - April 2014

“One source within Porsche tells us that it is a matter of efficiency (making certain models PDK only), and that decision-makers within the company no longer want to leave even two miles per gallon on the table in a given model. This fits with Porsche AG’s recent statement that it will not exclude itself from the responsibility to lower emissions and improve fuel efficiency – “ – Pete Stout – Editor – Porsche Panorama

source: Porsche Panorama 687 - June 2014

Let's face it, Porsches are becoming overweight, bloated hogs. Great technological hogs, but hogs nonetheless. The new Targa weighs almost 3600 lbs! Put a good ole boy and his wife in one, and you've got yourself two tons of rolling inertia!

Looks like the future is lighter cars with turbo four bangers and auto transmissions. Hey, maybe that'll make our old flat sixes worth something!

And as for the VW/Porsche debate; I've been hearing that crap ever since I bought my first Porsche 40 years ago. It's a 356.......no, no it's not....it's a Volkswagen. That brand spankin' new 924 you bought at launch? That ain't no Porsche. That's a Volkswagen with an Audi engine. My 914. Are you kidding? It's a 4, not a 6. It's a Volkswagen! And then at the banquet at Boxstoberfest last year, some rich prick with a GT3 nonchalantly declared to everyone at our table, that as far as he was concerned, all our Boxsters were just Volkswagens.

Just ranting..............

TO

Last edited by TeamOxford; 06-25-2014 at 03:52 PM.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #64

Porsche 718 on cover Autoweek August issue!

Just received my August issue this afternoon and the 718 is on the cover! Article inside gives good crystal ball specs on the flat 4 etc.

Last edited by litespeedp; 06-25-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Wrong magazine title in subject box
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #65

Porsche 718 on cover Automobile August issue!

Just received my August Automobile issue this afternoon and the 718 is on the cover! Article inside gives good crystal ball specs on the flat 4 etc.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #66

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
Just received my August Automobile issue this afternoon and the 718 is on the cover! Article inside gives good crystal ball specs on the flat 4 etc.
Turbo or electric?
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #67

Good old gasoline! Two engines,both turbo.2 liter 285 HP and 295 torque or a 2.5 liter 360HP and 345 torque.

Lighter weight car than current Box.Unofficially targeted at 26525 lbs.Great power to weight.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #68

Garage
For what it's worth, my wife's 2013 BMW 328ix has a 4 banger with a twin turbo and it's......AWESOME. Gobs of torque at 1500-1700 RPM. Loads of fun.

So....I very much hope this 718 creature exists. Would love to have one in my garage at some point.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Turbo or electric?
Its just Auto week's guess at what it might look like.
Click bait for magazine covers. Sneaky.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #70

Saw this post in Rennlist.
Rennlist Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming Cayman GT4

If all these comes through I think it will be one heck of a car.

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #71

Garage
More HP than a Cayman and cost less than a Boxster?

While that would be great for buyers It doesn't make sense if you are Porsche.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #72

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrblackman View Post
While that would be great for buyers It doesn't make sense if you are Porsche.
Why not, assuming there is a profit margin albeit smaller than on the 981 or specifically cayanne and such, they will sell well at the supposed price.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote