Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #21

Garage
However, i doubt this car is a thing, as we know, the next boxster is supposed to have a 4 cylinder and even higher power outputs then this 718. I agree that a baby panamera is likely, i could also see a mclaren 650S, mercedes sls replacment, ferrari destroyer.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #22

I heard Lindsay Lohan has been named CEO of Porsche!

I also heard some Panamara owners have begun to downsize to Hummers.

2002 Boxster S
2006 Cayman S
N0tt0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #23

Just had a look at worldcarfans no mention of a 718 model but several articles about the 4 cylinder turbo engine. With the ownership of Porsche now within PAG they'll be looking to maximise the brand value and develop more niche models, like what they've done with Audi. Platform sharing is very profitable.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #24

Garage
i really do not want any porsches that are not suvs to share platform with VWs I am okay with some VW group diseal engines and stuff in the panamera and all, but lets keep anything considered a true 2 seat sports car very much so ALL Porsche. Vw had a mid engine roadster concept a bit back which could very well go into production, if it does it would be stupid for them not to (even though we do not want them to) share the platform.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #25

Unless those posting are shareholders and are predicting a market crash... can someone explain the butt-hurt over this?

I've never understood why people who have generally bought used cars (or bought, sold, and re-bought slightly newer, used cars) -- be it Porsche or other make -- care about what a company does? I mean you don't have to buy whatever it is they produce, right? From what I've observed, people here don't generally order the car... rather engage in exhaustive searches and are kept up at night by depreciation and potential IMS failures... So... what is it?

I admit, I haven't gone to see my physician, but if this car is built, does my penis shrink? Will I go bald? Will my house be devalued? Will George RR Martin be thrown into such a panic we won't know what happens at the Wall after A Dance With Dragons? Will the 718 further throw True Blood into a laughable, unwatchable sitcom? Does the creation of 718 somehow shed light into how "Friends" essentially forgot that Ross already had a kid (Ben, IIRC) and didn't seem to address that cliffhanger at it's series conclusion? Will David Ortiz now take selfies with the 718 because Samsung asks him to? Is this the real reason Letterman is stepping down? Is this the same reason why Frank Sinatra never wrote his own music? Was he too concerned over the whole Edsel fiasco? Did President Bush come across a picture of the Pontiac Aztek and forget about checking evidence for WOMD? Was the making of the Buick Wildcat the reason the Cuban Missile Crisis occurred? Why oh why, should I care?

Last edited by cfos; 04-24-2014 at 05:00 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Unless those posting are shareholders... can someone explain the butt-hurt over this?

I've never understood why people who have generally bought used cars (or bought, sold, and re-bought slightly newer, used cars) -- be it Porsche or other make -- care about what a company does? I mean you don't have to buy whatever it is they produce, right? From what I've observed, people here don't generally order the car... rather engage in exhaustive searches and are kept up at night by depreciation... So... what is it?

I admit, I haven't gone to see my physician, but if this car is built, does my penis shrink? Will I go bald? Will my house be devalued? Will George RR Martin be thrown into such a panic we won't know what happens at the Wall after A Dance With Dragons? Will the 718 further throw True Blood into a laughable, unwatchable sitcom? Does the creation of 718 somehow shed light into how "Friends" essentially forgot that Ross already had a kid (Ben, IIRC) and didn't seem to address that cliffhanger at it's series conclusion? Will David Ortiz now take selfies with the 718 because Samsung asks him to? Is this the real reason Letterman is stepping down? Is this the same reason why Frank Sinatra never wrote his own music? Was he too concerned over the whole Edsel fiasco? Did President Bush come across a picture of the Pontiac Aztek and forget about checking evidence for WOMD? Why oh why, should I care?
Simply because the brand image effects the older cars and the resale value and others image of your car despite it being made in a different time, could be for the better could be for the worse. Regardless of this though it is about having a passion for the brand, same as how if you played football in college while you are not a part of the current team, you still very much so hope they do well and it does all matter to you because the brand or football team is your passion, weather a current part of it or not.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Simply because the brand image effects the older cars and the resale value and others image of your car despite it being made in a different time, could be for the better could be for the worse. Regardless of this though it is about having a passion for the brand, same as how if you played football in college while you are not a part of the current team, you still very much so hope they do well and it does all matter to you because the brand or football team is your passion, weather a current part of it or not.
Yeah, I guess you're right... I mean Woody Allen hasn't been able to make a movie or get an award, since, well, you know... If I remember correctly, Chappaquiddick really affected Ted Kennedy's career... Steve Howe was never able to pitch again after testing positive for cocaine... unintended acceleration killed Toyota... Bill Clinton hasn't shown his face after defining what "is" is...

I can understand passion for a team because they engage in competition, but passion for an automaker? Really? I mean are these going to be the cars Porsche enters in races? Do you gear up on Porsche clothes to go to the dealership and see your favorite players? Get autographs from the certified mechanics? Trade Porsche cards? Are you affected if they switch fonts in Panamera? If the receptionist at Porsche NA leaves for a new job, does it make you cry?

Oh, and by the way, I disagree with your assertion that the new model affects older car resale -- please show your evidence -- I ask anyone here who bought or sold a car: Have you honestly low-balled (or been low-balled) into selling their car because of the proposed release of a new car that hasn't been built, devalued the brand? Here's my experience -- when the Cayenne was first released, I thought if a car maker wanted to transform Admiral Akbar into a car, this is what it would look like. Somehow, Porsche continues to exist. Somehow, the 911 manages to exist after the 914, the girl-power Boxster, fried egg headlights, and Admiral Akbar on wheels. Somehow, McDonalds is still there after the McPizza, the McLean, the Arch Deluxe, Grimace... Somehow, Timco is still allowed to post after the whole fiat (or Smart Car?) flipping thread (I apologize if I am incorrect in the particular car, I really didn't pay too much attention to that thread).

Last edited by cfos; 04-24-2014 at 05:47 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I guess you're right... I mean Woody Allen hasn't been able to make a movie or get an award, since, well, you know... If I remember correctly, Chappaquiddick really affected Ted Kennedy's career... Steve Howe was never able to pitch again after testing positive for cocaine... unintended acceleration killed Toyota... Bill Clinton hasn't shown his face after defining what "is" is...

I can understand passion for a team because they engage in competition, but passion for an automaker? Really? I mean are these going to be the cars Porsche enters in races? Do you gear up on Porsche clothes to go to the dealership and see your favorite players? Get autographs from the certified mechanics? Trade Porsche cards? Are you affected if they switch fonts in Panamera? If the receptionist at Porsche NA leaves for a new job, does it make you cry?

Oh, and by the way, I disagree with your assertion that the new model affects older car resale -- please show your evidence -- I ask anyone here who bought or sold a car: Have you honestly low-balled (or been low-balled) into selling their car because of the proposed release of a new car that hasn't been built, devalued the brand? Here's my experience -- when the Cayenne was first released, I thought if a car maker wanted to transform Admiral Akbar into a car, this is what it would look like. Somehow, Porsche continues to exist. Somehow, the 911 manages to exist after the 914, the girl-power Boxster, fried egg headlights, and Admiral Akbar on wheels. Somehow, McDonalds is still there after the McPizza, the McLean, the Arch Deluxe, Grimace... Somehow, Timco is still allowed to post after the whole fiat (or Smart Car?) flipping thread (I apologize if I am incorrect in the particular car, I really didn't pay too much attention to that thread).
Hey i stayed out of the smart car thread myself, but really is that my only grammar mistake? Pat on the back to myself! However, i would say that A. with the brand devaluation, i would never have been interested in old corvettes, until the new one came out, the new Cadillacs have impressed me as well with gm and has opened me up to the older cars of the brand. On the flip-side the heavy, turbo charged, lesser cylinders BMWs of today have given me a lack of interest in the bmws of yesterday. With the brand passion, for me Porsche's Motorsport performance is a given, but the number of times that the boxster has been rated best roadster and has been on car and drivers top 10 list is what i care about. With the Porsche cars, you are kinda right, i am all about what the journalist have to say about the brand i care for. There are Lancer Evo nuts that could care less about anything to do with rally history or anything, there passion is the street car, nothing to do with Motorsport. I really like the Macan, because it is best in class, all i am really after is Porsche being the best in this and the best in that, because i think it is safe to say that we all enjoy to associate with things considered as the best.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Sorry Jake buddy - I gotta call you on this one...

When I was about your age, Porsche was in the middle of a huge change in the direction they went with their cars. In short order they introduced the 924, 944 and 928. All water cooled, front engine cars. (And this wasn't too long after the introduction of the 914, where in Europe it was marketed as the VW-Porsche 914.)

I remember hanging around the showroom of the Porsche/VW/Audi dealer after trips to the parts dep't for goodies for my '62 Beetle, and listening to 911 owners whining about how Porsche was heading towards ruin by going down the water-cooled road and what would happen to values of their beloved 911's.

Porsche didn't collapse then, and they won't now.

The only brand image I've seen that had an effect on those 911's is they are now so insanely expensive that I'll never again be able to afford one. (In 1985 I sold my '67 911 to buy a '78 924, and have been kicking myself in the butt for that dumb-azz stunt for the past 25 years.)

And if you wonder how the jointly built/marketed VW/Porsche 914 is doing 40 years later, check out how much a nice original or restored one is worth. It's a hella lot more than what our Boxsters are worth.

Our little Boxsters won't take a hit on resale value with regards to anything new introduced by Porsche, VW or a car that's a combo of the two brands. Because quite honestly, they are just about now valued at the level of a throw away car and are just getting cheaper.

I'm looking forward to a new entry level Porsche. In 15 years when the last of our 986's are worn out and gone, we'll have a whole slew of affordable P-cars to tear around in.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 04-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Sorry Jake buddy - I gotta call you on this one...

When I was about your age, Porsche was in the middle of a huge change in the direction they went with their cars. In short order they introduced the 924, 944 and 928. All water cooled, front engine cars. (And this wasn't too long after the introduction of the 914, where in Europe it was marketed as the VW-Porsche 914.)

I remember hanging around the showroom of the Porsche/VW/Audi dealer after trips to the parts dep't for goodies for my '62 Beetle, and listening to 911 owners whining about how Porsche was heading towards ruin by going down the water-cooled road and what would happen to values of their beloved 911's.

Porsche didn't collapse then, and they won't now.

The only brand image I've seen that had an effect on those 911's is they are now so insanely expensive that I'll never again be able to afford one. (In 1985 I sold my '67 911 to buy a '78 924, and have been kicking myself in the butt for that dumb-azz stunt for the past 25 years.)

And if you wonder how the jointly built/marketed VW/Porsche 914 is doing 40 years later, check out how much a nice original or restored one is worth. It's a hella lot more than what our Boxsters are worth.

Our little Boxsters won't take a hit on resale value with regards to anything new introduced by Porsche, VW or a car that's a combo of the two brands. Because quite honestly, they are just about now valued at the level of a throw away car and are just getting cheaper.

I'm looking forward to a new entry level Porsche. In 15 years when the last of our 986's are worn out and gone, we'll have a whole slew of affordable P-cars to tear around in.

Cheers,

Rick
I actually love 914s haha, and i do not at all think porsche is going to crap at all. I mean look at the 918, i really do doubt that it would be fundable without the suv and the panamera (which i would possibly prefer to a 911 depending on mood.) and if not that then it is VW's involvement that helped fund it. However, i have never cared for badge engineering cars. A trim level should be a trim level not an entirely different brand of car. In general i like the idea of a 718 as well, lightweight and awesome, a modern example of our early boxsters, a personal favorite formula. I am just butthurt over the idea of the idea of a nearly identical car under the VW badge, not because its VW either, the car could have a lambo, audi, or Bugatti badge for all i care haha i just like the idea of designs being independent to one brand.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Unless those posting are shareholders and are predicting a market crash..
By this logic not even new Porsche buyers should be complaining about any future cars. Once monies and auto have been exchanged the transaction is ended. They have no more say in what decisions Dr. P makes for the GT3 as the guy buying 300k mile 1999 Carrera for $9k.

People opine. That's what happens on internet forums.
Actually, that is precisely where all Porsche owners as well as Corvette, Rolls Royce or Miata owners should be whinging or cheering.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #32

Garage
and back to the main thread.....flat-4 Porsche roadster....

I hope we all realize that this is going to sound like an old VW Beetle an/or a Subaru, right?
Plus some waste gate wheezing. Nothing against flat-4s. After all, my father owned two VW beetles, so I pretty much grew up in them. But, I don't associate their sound with a Porsche.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:31 AM   #33

Ever since the new Beetle came out with it's retro styling, I've been wondering when VW would bring out a new retro Karmann Ghia. Seems like a no brainer.

Before I was able to afford a Boxster, the Ghia was the car I craved, but couldn't find one in an acceptable condition. Eventually the value of a good condition Ghia passed that of a good condition Boxster, so I went with the better performance and panache, but there are still very few cars better looking than a Karmann Ghia.

A new Karmann Ghia with styling cues of the original and performance on par or better than my Boxster would be just about the perfect car to me.
TopChuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:00 AM   #34
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChuckie View Post
A new Karmann Ghia with styling cues of the original and performance on par or better than my Boxster would be just about the perfect car to me.
Here ya go:

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #35

This concept has been around for probably 10 years. Was a joint VW/Porsche/Audi 4-cyl mid-engine roadster right in-line with what is being discussed here. But killed off multiple times already.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #36
WALDMEISTER

Garage
It is mainly a print magazine, so linking the article is kinda difficult.
Should be available for iPad too.

resource | link: Die neue AUTO BILD: Heft 17/2014 - autobild.de
Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by demick View Post
This concept has been around for probably 10 years. Was a joint VW/Porsche/Audi 4-cyl mid-engine roadster right in-line with what is being discussed here. But killed off multiple times already.
See now that is what I do not like, if it is ghia retro styled... I would take the VW over the Porsche! Hope they build it.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #38

I always felt that the audi tt was a restyled ghia.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #39

A couple of guys owned a Karman Ghia back when I was in highschool. The car would trade owners every month or so. Basically when something broke and the current owner wasn't bothering to fix it. I heard the last owner had a bad day with it and left it parked in a field.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #40
WALDMEISTER

Garage
...and then she found it and turned it into an Outlaw Karmann Ghia