Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

Go Pro Camera Mounting in Boxster

I'm preparing to go on a driving trip into the Blue Ridge Mountains in a few weeks, and was trying to get Forum Member's opinions on what is the best place to mount a Go Pro camera, and which mounting bracket to use... Any ideas/suggestions? I have seen someone use the suction cup mount and mount it to the hood, but that makes me a little nervous. I was thinking about the roll bar mount, but hate to take a chance of messing up the leather roll bar padding.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

Pat

Stiletto Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto Pat View Post
I'm preparing to go on a driving trip into the Blue Ridge Mountains in a few weeks, and was trying to get Forum Member's opinions on what is the best place to mount a Go Pro camera, and which mounting bracket to use... Any ideas/suggestions? I have seen someone use the suction cup mount and mount it to the hood, but that makes me a little nervous. I was thinking about the roll bar mount, but hate to take a chance of messing up the leather roll bar padding.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

Pat
No ideas about the camera but make sure you drive on pinnacle mountain road! off of interstate 26 just in the north carolina line... its a perfect drive!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #3

I attached a sticky mount, that came with the camera, to the windshield, inside just to the right of the mirror.

The camera is upside down but there is a setting to flip the image.

it positions the camera just to the right and mostly in front of the mirror so its not in anyones way.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #4

I'm playing with my GoPro at the moment, I use a suction cup mount on the driver side window. Very careful to not show the speedo...! I have also had it mounted just behind either front wheel to get cool wheel road shots, just need to mount it with a string attached as a safety. First time I did it it wasn't mounted securely and fell off. i was very to find it sitting in the middle of the road. Another shot is to the rear over the bumper, gives nice exhaust noise.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

I mount my GoPro to the roll bar so it looks over my shoulder and out the front window. This mount fits any size bar or the factory roll hoops. Just remove (snap out) the leather padding.

https://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/Eye_Of_Mine_Roll_Bar_Mount_p/rrlb.htm
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #6

I use the suction cup mount on the wind deflector. Gives a full cockpit view with being able to see what is ahead.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #7

Go Pro Mounting Ideas

Thanks guys, I didn't consider the idea of using the adhesive mount inside the windshield, realize that the leather roll bar covering snaps out to allow for the roll bar bracket to fit, nor did I even consider using the suction cup mount attached to the center wind deflector. Those are some intriguing new ideas. Any others would be most appreciated, as well.

Thanks much!

Pat
Stiletto Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto Pat View Post
Thanks guys, I didn't consider the idea of using the adhesive mount inside the windshield, realize that the leather roll bar covering snaps out to allow for the roll bar bracket to fit, nor did I even consider using the suction cup mount attached to the center wind deflector. Those are some intriguing new ideas. Any others would be most appreciated, as well.

Thanks much!

Pat
Bit risky but i bet if you put it on the side of the car near the side vents it would have great sound, i remember a boxster video on the internet having one mounted here in some european mountain roads. You know you have to post the video here when you are done
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheBound View Post
I use the suction cup mount on the wind deflector. Gives a full cockpit view with being able to see what is ahead.
Does this work well for you? Maybe my wind deflector is loose or something, when I mounted it there it was just vibrating all the time giving me crappy video.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #10

Garage
When I was at the last AX in our region I saw a 911 with the camera mounted inside. The interesting item was he ran a mike out the window and suspended it near the exhaust. He used painters tape to hold down the wire.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
Boxster 1999

Garage
I am pretty sure I saw somewhere an adaptor that uses the slot where the tow pin goes.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186 View Post
Does this work well for you? Maybe my wind deflector is loose or something, when I mounted it there it was just vibrating all the time giving me crappy video.
There was minor vibration. Not too bad.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barteur View Post
I am pretty sure I saw somewhere an adaptor that uses the slot where the tow pin goes.

Rennline makes one for the front or back

Last edited by Lobo1186; 04-15-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: f'ed up the URL
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #14

Use the suction cup right behind the drivers side air intake- amazing POV, and of course a great sound! Although we have stuck the suction cup to the wing of an aircraft for a multiple hour flight you should tether the camera to the car with a soft cord of some type (i used a lanyard).

2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote