Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Actually, "bizenon" is more a marketing concept and the litronics could easily fit the definition.

HID burners are not good for high beams because of their delay in coming to full brightness. Mercedes, for one example, used the bizenon term to describe a process where a moveable metal shield adjusted between high and low positions to provide both beams from the same bulb/burner.

In litronic, a halogen bulb comes on to provide a quick high beam but also the level of the low beam hid projector is mechanically adjusted higher to supplement. It's obviously not as instantaneous as the halogen bulb. Pretty much the same result as bizenon.

Actually, bi-xenons do not use 2 HID bulbs, but one with a cut off shield which is then retracted by a solenoid. Hence, there is zero warm up time for the high beams.

Litronics always block half of the beam with a permanent cutoff shield, meaning that they never use the full light output of the xenon bulb.

I'm not putting down Litronics. They are still much nicer than halogens.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-07-2015 at 12:33 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:28 AM   #22

Do the 987's, later 996's and 997's have a true Bi-Xenon system? Particlewave is correct that the 986 litronics have just one xenon bulb per unit. I just thought that Porsche had updated the system.

When I was refurbishing my litronic headlights, I could not find H6W bulbs locally and ordered them from Rockauto.

I'd like to compare a set of Particlewave's bi-xenon's with my litronics. Right now, my standard of comparison is my old halogens to my retrofit litronics and I am much happier with my litronics. Maybe it is the little kid in me, but the rotation of the xenon bulb when you turn on the high beams is a nice feature.

Here's a video I shot of their operation after I installed the self-leveling system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGkfebCCf2Y

This shows the start up sequence (H6W parking lights first) self-leveling at start up, and then high beam operation. (If you look closely, you can also see the yellow light from the halogen high beam when the litronics rotate up.)

I also tried to show how the leveling system reacted to changes in the attitude of the car by jacking up one end.

Here is a thread with more information on my adventures with litronics: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55840-can-you-endure-one-more-litronic-thread-me.html

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 11-07-2015 at 05:30 AM.
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote