Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #21

You need a front quarter panel, hood, bumper, head light, bumper reinforcement, radiator, radiator fan and possibly more. You can get all of this stuff cheap on eBay in the US. The most expensive part will be painting. My worry is that the radiator was damaged then driven, then over heated, and cracked head or blown head gasket. Check the oil and coolant and make sure the colors are right. If this car was in the US I would offer $6k only if the oil and coolant were fine.

Looking at the pictures again the fact that the bumper was ripped in two and needs to be stapled leads me to believe the damage is worse than it looks. It's easy to check though, drop the bumper in less than 30 min and you'll know what you have.

You're making me want to buy a crashed boxster. I like the project.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 04-03-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #22

To give you a feel for the cost of the cars in Canada. There is one in Calgary, same year and color. 30K more on the clock. Asking price is $12,800 plus a road trip. In my area I'm looking at $15,500 to $20K.
The plan is for me to keep the car for a long time. Someone asked for a pic with the lid open. Here is what they sent me.

BTW, you guys rock!!
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #23

Did you remove the carpeting or plastic hood latch cowl to check for frame damage?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #24
2002 Boxster S

Garage
It may just be the sprung hood, but the thing that worried me most was all the panel gaps. The service manuals have exact measurements for the gaps between panels. They are uniform and they are straight. I see gaps that get wider or narrower and I wonder how deep the damage goes. Definitely get this inspected by someone who knows what to look for on a Boxster.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I think the best deal is a cream puff that's been sheltered all it's life and seldom used. Keep looking.
And that will come with dry IMS bearings.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
It may just be the sprung hood, but the thing that worried me most was all the panel gaps. The service manuals have exact measurements for the gaps between panels. They are uniform and they are straight. I see gaps that get wider or narrower and I wonder how deep the damage goes. Definitely get this inspected by someone who knows what to look for on a Boxster.
I was thinking the same thing too when I first looked at the pics. It might be the gaps look wide because the hood isn't latched.

And remember if you were buying all new parts, you'd run up a big bill. If you take your time and search junk yards or ebay, you can find a headlight here, a fender there, etc. Parts will cost you a lot less then. This is the point runjmc2 was making. My guess is Lobo's repair used new parts, which he should demand since it was someone else's fault. You should be able to find used parts for an 11 yr old car.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #27

I thought the hood looked warped.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
And that will come with dry IMS bearings.
Grease doesn't dry out.
Buy the best Porsche you can- you will never regret it. 'Best' means 'closest to new', 'needing the least amount of work'...

Last edited by woodsman; 04-04-2014 at 09:24 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #29

Well I went to see this car today. There is obviously more damage to the car than you can see in the picture. I think it jumped a curb before it struck a parked car. There is damage to the suspension and the front wheel. So the search continues.

Thanks again for the great advice!!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #30
I am my own mechanic....

Look at auto trader in Los Angeles. I can't believe how many there was to choose from. Never seen salt or snow.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #31
2002 Boxster S

Garage
But can you import a US spec Boxster into Canada? There are differences in safety regs, like DRLs.

Plus, you'd have to contend with driving on the other side of the road. ;-)
Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
But can you import a US spec Boxster into Canada? There are differences in safety regs, like DRLs.

Plus, you'd have to contend with driving on the other side of the road. ;-)
You can import them. You have to pay 6.1% duty on top of the federal and provincial taxes. You have to pay a RIV fee of $200, and you have to get the DRLs and the spedo changed to Kilometers. I also heard rumor that if you can't get a recall clearence letter in the US for the car you buy, you have to pay Porsche Canada $500 to get it.
You would have to get a pretty sweet deal on a US car to make it worthwhile.

As far as the wrong side of the road, I think I could figure it out!! :-)
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony13ca View Post
You can import them. You have to pay 6.1% duty on top of the federal and provincial taxes. You have to pay a RIV fee of $200, and you have to get the DRLs and the spedo changed to Kilometers. I also heard rumor that if you can't get a recall clearence letter in the US for the car you buy, you have to pay Porsche Canada $500 to get it.

The main thing about buying in the US and not in Canada is not really money. It is the selection. You can find pretty much anything on the color you want, with the options you want and on a certain price/mileage you want. No way you have the same in Canada.

When I got mine I found the perfect car for me in California. Flew down there, got the car and drove it back to Ottawa, ON. 5,000km trip. Awesome trip by the way.

And yes you can import pretty much any car to Canada, especially now they took care of the stupid bumper regulations that were slightly different between the two countries.

By the way when I got mine they forgot to charge me duty so I ended up paying GST/PST only.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
The main thing about buying in the US and not in Canada is not really money. It is the selection. You can find pretty much anything on the color you want, with the options you want and on a certain price/mileage you want. No way you have the same in Canada.

When I got mine I found the perfect car for me in California. Flew down there, got the car and drove it back to Ottawa, ON. 5,000km trip. Awesome trip by the way.

And yes you can import pretty much any car to Canada, especially now they took care of the stupid bumper regulations that were slightly different between the two countries.

By the way when I got mine they forgot to charge me duty so I ended up paying GST/PST only.

CR
I have noticed the same thing about the selection of cars, and have been thinking about doing the same thing!! When you brought your car back did you get the recall letter from the seller?

Nice break on the duty!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Look at auto trader in Los Angeles. I can't believe how many there was to choose from. Never seen salt or snow.
Thanks for the tip!! I just took a quick look and the selection is amazing!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #36
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:

As far as road-legalities go, all you have to do for DRLs is jump the heated seat fuse to the low beam fuse... search; there's a how to post here somewhere.
The main speedo doesn't need to be replaced, so long as you switch over to metric display. The digital speedo readout will be in metric and that's good enough.
Easy to DIY and not spend extra $$.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:04 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
I have noticed the same thing about the selection of cars, and have been thinking about doing the same thing!! When you brought your car back did you get the recall letter from the seller?

Nice break on the duty!!!
Did not get anything but did get the DRL done before and also asked the dealer in CA to simply switch the computer from imperial to metric so everything, AC included, displayed in Celsius. As of today from what I know you do not need to send the car to any dealer in Canada.
Key thing is you can get a computer printout from a dealer in the US showing no recalls, etc and then simply email RIV and they will let you know immediately if they accept that as proof. If they say yes you are good to go.
Did that for my BMW last year and they took it without any questions.
And oh yes the selection you cannot beat that. Go find one in the US. Way better deals, trust me on that.

CR

crod is offline   Reply With Quote