Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #1

Garage
Thumbs up Spring is finally here.

We had a tough and long winter up here in Canada. On the east coast where I live, temperatures were colder than normal for most days what made it a really long one this year. For the Ottawa region, it was the coldest winter in the past 20 years (in terms of days with way below average temperatures).
Good news is yesterday we had the first nice day of the season (ok people in CA, by nice I mean 50F!) so we took the cars out for a drive and it was great to see the little Boxster purring along after all the rebuild work my son did. And to top it off the car passed emissions testing on the first try! Very happy and cannot wait to take it out for a drive this week with much better weather.
So how many of you on the same boat, just waiting for the nice weather to show up?

CR

Attached Images

Last edited by crod; 04-07-2014 at 04:50 AM.
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:19 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
Yes it was great yesterday. Even though I drive my Box throughout the winter yesterday was the first time it was warm enough(about 6C) or dry enough to get the rpms up much to the consternation of somebody that was too close to me as the light turned green. There is lots of gravel on the roads so the following car got sprayed with gravel(oops).

Will likely change to a/s tires this week and if we get a big dump of snow I can use my wife's Camry.Happy days again. Each spring seems to get sweeter.
Cheers, Guy.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #3

I took my Box out of winter storage last weekend and had some new tires installed. It's always great when you get it out for the first time of the year, and even better on those years when you get new tires. Glassy smooth ride and just feels new again. Too bad it's been snowing on and off since then, but I expect to get it out again mid-week when it warms up.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #4

Crod, forgive my ignorance, but what is the car on the left in the picture?

50s F in Jackson Hole lately. Hard top coming off before long :dance:! I'm down in Tucson right now and I sorely wish I had my Boxster here!! Except that the streets are crap; pavement's like a motocross track!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Crod, forgive my ignorance, but what is the car on the left in the picture?

50s F in Jackson Hole lately. Hard top coming off before long :dance:! I'm down in Tucson right now and I sorely wish I had my Boxster here!! Except that the streets are crap; pavement's like a motocross track!
No worries Joe! The big brother is a Lamborghini Gallardo, another great car I have. Love them both and seeing the Boxster last night all cleaned up, since we did a paint correction, was something really impressive. Paint is still unbelievable after 13 years.
The Lamborghini is all dirty after the drive as I had no time to cleanup and with the snow melting anywhere you drive there is water on the road. Definitely does not help keeping it clean.

CR
Old 04-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #6

Garage
We are not too much farther south than you, and it has been a colder and snowier Winter than average. I was able to get the Boxster out on 3/30, then we got 10" of snow on 4/3-4!! Luckily it melts fast this time of year. I have put about 400 miles on the car in the last week, about half of them with the top down.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986 View Post
We are not too much farther south than you, and it has been a colder and snowier Winter than average. I was able to get the Boxster out on 3/30, then we got 10" of snow on 4/3-4!! Luckily it melts fast this time of year. I have put about 400 miles on the car in the last week, about half of them with the top down.
Weather is slowly getting better up here but now it seems we will get some rain. Good thing as it will wash off all that salt still on the roads. Not being able to drive from end of November all the way to April is sort of painful.

CR
Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #8

Nice boxster, one of my favorite color!

But I prefer the silver from your wife's daily driver car... the little Honda civic on the left hand side
Old 04-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #9

Mn 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986 View Post
MN 986,

What front lip is that on your Boxster? Really like it.
NDkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #10

Garage
Mine has a very similar front. I think it is all part of the Aerokit (mine came from the factory with it ordered).

CR
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
No worries Joe! The big brother is a Lamborghini Gallardo, another great car I have. Love them both and seeing the Boxster last night all cleaned up, since we did a paint correction, was something really impressive. Paint is still unbelievable after 13 years.
The Lamborghini is all dirty after the drive as I had no time to cleanup and with the snow melting anywhere you drive there is water on the road. Definitely does not help keeping it clean.

CR
Does the Lamborghini make you with the boxster had AWD or glad that it is RWD?
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Does the Lamborghini make you with the boxster had AWD or glad that it is RWD?
I think I am very happy the way both cars are. Never tried a RWD Lamborghini like the Balboni Edition ones. I can easily convert it to RWD (and still able to undo it if I want) but I like the AWD as it is and keeps the car original.
Very different vehicles for sure but both amazing at what they were designed for.

CR