Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenLinkage View Post
My sincere apologies to anyone offended by a term used in my previous post. I meant "hinky" but inadvertently but a "c" in front, creating a perjorative word that was not intended. Still didn't realize why the mod asked me to edit a typo - until I looked it up in urban dictionary.

I find ample opportunities to be politically incorrect and to offend people on purpose and with reason. This was not one of those, so please pardon my mistake and ignorance.

But I still don't like the all-black wheels, and before someone else goes there, it has nothing to do with being from Alabama...
It's all good my friend.
As for me, if it were my car, my vote is for all-black.

mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #22

Garage
Not a fan AT ALL of black rims BUT...
If you will do it I would highly recommend using Plasti-Dip. They even have a glossy finish now. If you later regret or want to change the colour again it is dead simple to remove it.
My son did it to our Boxster S (without my approval). Looks like **************** in my opinion but at least I know I can take it off anytime I want it.

Resuming: much cheaper, will look pretty much identical to having it powder coated, takes off easily and allows you to change it at anytime. Win-Win situation IMHO.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
Not a fan AT ALL of black rims BUT...
If you will do it I would highly recommend using Plasti-Dip. They even have a glossy finish now. If you later regret or want to change the colour again it is dead simple to remove it.
My son did it to our Boxster S (without my approval). Looks like **************** in my opinion but at least I know I can take it off anytime I want it.

Resuming: much cheaper, will look pretty much identical to having it powder coated, takes off easily and allows you to change it at anytime. Win-Win situation IMHO.

CR
hmm, not a bad idea. so you don't have to sand the surface first to get the coating to adhere?
I may try it on my old '98 pathfinder first
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #24

Garage
Yeah no need to sand anything. Just clean/dry them good and you are ready to go. I took it off from my rims at one point and later my son did it again in a glossy black. Damn son.
Nice thing is you can cover parts of the rim to get two colors done for example. One glossy, one matte and so on. Kind of neat.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #25

Garage
1.....tuner punk
2.....goldilocks
3.....first car after hitting the big scratch off ticket
Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #26

I like the plolished lip. I'd be leary about how much the slightest bit of curb rash would be magnified on black.

I'd also consider gun metal grey with the polished lip. Paint the calipers red and you'll have an interesting combination. Add the PORSCHE door decals in dark grey and it'll tone down all the red.

p.s.
Plasti-dip is indeed a great idea to test it the different choices. You can layer a matte black under their grey anthracite for a "chrome shadow" effect.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
Yeah no need to sand anything. Just clean/dry them good and you are ready to go. I took it off from my rims at one point and later my son did it again in a glossy black. Damn son.
Nice thing is you can cover parts of the rim to get two colors done for example. One glossy, one matte and so on. Kind of neat.

CR
lol, I wish my dad had been as tolerant as you. he would have Plasti-Dipped a hickory switch and used it on me.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #28

Garage
Has anyone tried to " Chrome Shadow "( ala 2001 BMW M5 ) their wheels with any success? By far my favorite finish of any wheel . As far as my opinion on your choices, I prefer the stock look. Not crazy about black
Philo beddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #29
Gone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
lol, I wish my dad had been as tolerant as you. he would have Plasti-Dipped a hickory switch and used it on me.
My dad didn't have a Porsche or Plasti-Dip and he still took the switch to me...

Davev is offline   Reply With Quote