Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #1

Lets Talk About Our Tops

I've seen a few threads about people replacing their convertible tops and after looking through them I've decided that's a project i'm not interested in undertaking.

my top is in pretty good shape, i was told it was recently replaced when I bought my 01 base three years ago. My concern is that I have noticed a problem area. There is one small area where the plastic is tearing away from the rest of the top. It seems its being damaged by the motion of the convertible going down. The plastic is crimping and causing damage where it folds.

It Does'nt look so bad here

but...
Here is a close up where it is beginning to tear

Here is a picture of the plastic folding

So what I would like to know is if anyone has any idea's or suggestions on how to prevent this from getting any worse?

I was also wondering, what shape is your top in? Have you considered replacing it? If you have replaced it how bad was it before?

Last edited by Carlisabadman986; 04-10-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Carlisabadman986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
jakesbox

You gotta karate chop that window as it is going down!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #3

Garage
Go for glass I love my glass top, hurts visibility but the top is usually only up when parked anyways haha!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #4

Your plastic window will continue to degrade in that same spot. I was not able to prevent my top from getting worse, it initially looked just like yours. I saved up for the glass top upgrade, you should start too.
driftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
Toppy

Garage
mine is doing the same thing, hoping to get another year out of it before replacing.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #6

My top is twelve years old, always cared for with Plexus/RaggTopp and carefully folded. Also helps the car is garaged with 23k or so miles.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #7

Garage
the smaller window on the glass top gives the car a 356 speedster feel!
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #8

I had a problem with mine tearing away from the stitching. I used a bead of household goop from Home Depot. Nth at was 2 years ago and I'm going to try to get a 3rd out of it. It's been water tight and has prevented it from tearing worse. It's pretty tough to notice as well.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #9

Recently I found a 10"metal rod on the floor that goes along the upper side near the windshield on each side. It looks like it's there to keep the edge aligned. I can't find the plastic plug that holds it in place. Anyone else have that happen? 2002S with a newer roof with glass.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisabadman986 View Post
I've seen a few threads about people replacing their convertible tops and after looking through them I've decided that's a project i'm not interested in undertaking.

my top is in pretty good shape, i was told it was recently replaced when I bought my 01 base three years ago. My concern is that I have noticed a problem area. There is one small area where the plastic is tearing away from the rest of the top. It seems its being damaged by the motion of the convertible going down. The plastic is crimping and causing damage where it folds.

It Does'nt look so bad here

but...
Here is a close up where it is beginning to tear

Here is a picture of the plastic folding

So what I would like to know is if anyone has any idea's or suggestions on how to prevent this from getting any worse?

I was also wondering, what shape is your top in? Have you considered replacing it? If you have replaced it how bad was it before?
Mine just cracked also. I dropped the top right near 50ish degrees and a heard it crack. It cracked in several places, in the middle of the window and near the stitching. I used E6000 to seal it. I just did the repair last week and it appears to be working. I will replace top eventually, it is not a priority for me right at the moment. For now E6000 will have to do.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #11

Garage
Hi While the subject of tops are being discussed can someone tell me what is the purpose of the two half tear drop shaped of material either side of the window ?
Cheers
Porsche man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche man View Post
Hi While the subject of tops are being discussed can someone tell me what is the purpose of the two half tear drop shaped of material either side of the window ?
Cheers
Same here. I keep tucking it in and they pop right back out.

I've got the same issue with with the vinyl window. Top looks great besides the window.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote