Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 04:24 AM   #1

Garage
Front bumper grilles.....

Afternoon all, quick question, I have noticed a few Boxsters with a centre front grille on the lower part of the front bumper..... was that an option when new.....?

Really like it, and whilst on the subject, has anyone got any pics of the licence plate placed on the non-grilled bumper opposed to the normal edge of bumper..... surely the blank space is designed for the plate...?

Pics appreciated.

Si.

SKOOSH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
The center grille is on the Boxster S model for the third (center) radiator. The radiator itself can be retrofitted, as can the grille itself. I believe Pedro's site has a how-to on installing it, Pelican may as well.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
The center grille is on the Boxster S model for the third (center) radiator. The radiator itself can be retrofitted, as can the grille itself. I believe Pedro's site has a how-to on installing it, Pelican may as well.
Cheers, never noticed that subtle difference before......

Si.

Last edited by SKOOSH1970; 04-11-2014 at 07:02 AM.
SKOOSH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #4

I think you may be referring to the recess as I don't recall Porsche ever installing "proper" grilles -- I don't really fancy the red slats and the sagittal black piece pictured below as true grilles, but maybe that's me. Anyway, though I have the recess in the middle, I only opted for some grilles for the sides from Zun Sports Woven Mesh Grilles & Car Grilles | Chrome | Silver | Stainless Steel Was expensive, offer some degree of protection, but I'm really happy with the look. Installation wasn't too hard (no removal of the bumper), although I'm not much of a DIY guy so my guess is it is really easy for most of the folk here:

Last edited by cfos; 04-11-2014 at 05:37 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
I think you may be referring to the recess as I don't recall Porsche ever installing "proper" grilles -- I don't really fancy the red slats and the sagittal black piece pictured below as true grilles, but maybe that's me. Anyway, though I have the recess in the middle, I only opted for some grilles for the sides from Zun Sports Woven Mesh Grilles & Car Grilles | Chrome | Silver | Stainless Steel Was expensive, offer some degree of protection, but I'm really happy with the look. Installation wasn't too hard (no removal of the bumper), although I'm not much of a DIY guy so my guess is it is really easy for most of the folk here:

Interesting. Anyone have a photo of these in black on a 986?

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote