Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #1

Cigarette Lighter Size? Adapters?

Is it VW and Porsche or all German cars that seem to have a larger diameter plug in? When using cigarette lighter for power outlet to charge cell phone etc. it is a loose fit so I am doing what I have done in the past and wedging a part of a business card to fill in the diameter so I get good contact and plug does not fall out.

One time I purchased something that came with a plastic adapter sleeve, but I don't know where that went.

What are you guys using and where did you get it?

IndyGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #2

upgrade to the US spec lighter... it's about $25 - 10min DIY

cut and paste this link into browser
****************************************************.com/product//99665210210AND.html

[img]http://www.****************************************************.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/LIGHTERUPGRADE.jpg[/img]

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #3

Ah yes a simple solution! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster

****************************************************.com/product//99665210210AND.html

[img]http://www.****************************************************.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/LIGHTERUPGRADE.jpg[/img]

IndyGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #4

Or, this one for free...

... which you can DIY.
Just get a free 1" sample piece of plastic sleeve (tubing from Home Depot - Plumbing Dept./Irrigation)
Cut to length and make the two cutouts for the grounding springs.

http://www.maxmost.com/product_images/cellphoneaccessories/scla.jpg

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 06-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #5

But how?

I bought the replacement, but I'm afraid to admit that I have no clue as to how to replace it... there were no instructions... Is it that easy to replace? Please help!
David
papajoscly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #6

The panel the lighter is in pops off so you can access the back components. Use something smooth, like a wooden tongue depressor, to pop the panel so you do not mar it or the dash and you will be fine..............

Old 06-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I installed these in both of my Boxsters, highly recommended. Plus you can install a second one on the left side.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #8

Paul, Do you mean there is pre-existing wiring for the left side?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
No, you have to source one from a used harness or make your own.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #10

I just pop one of the prongs out from the plug and it fits snug. Maybe I’ll upgrade to the US spec lighter, I’ve never seen that before at suncoast.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #11

An updated link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post

Cigarette Lighter Socket Upgrade - 1997-01:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment
3johnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01 View Post
I just pop one of the prongs out from the plug and it fits snug. Maybe I’ll upgrade to the US spec lighter, I’ve never seen that before at suncoast.
Ditto. Works perfect and you can't beat the price.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Oddly, plugs fit fairly well in my 12v socket. No real play in the movements. My E320 on the other hand...
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #14

Just installed the Suncoast cigarette lighter upgrade kit in my 2001 Boxster S.

The upgrade kit includes 2 parts:

996 652 102 10 Headlight Unit (the lighted bezel around the lighter socket

997 652 101 00 A05 Cigarette Lighter - Black Mat (cigarette lighter and socket)

The Suncoast price for the kit seemed pretty good as compared to the price of the individual parts.

The lighter and socket are slightly smaller in diameter, the lip of the socket is now chrome (original 986 socket had a flat black lip), and the graphic on the lighter is ever so slightly different (smoke is two straight white lines instead of a bubble).

(totally verbose installation instructions)...

As others have mentioned, the panel that the lighter sits in pulls out. There are two retainers. Looking at the panel, one is at about the 1 o'clock position, the other is at about the 5 oclock position. You want to pry straight up. I used a black nylon kitchen spatula and that worked great.

The wiring harnesses for the switches will tend to fight you, so I disconnected them and brought the panel into my apartment to do the replacement.

I would have been lost if it hadn't been for the diagram JFP provided. Thanks man!

First, remove the green plastic cover. Pry up on the sides of the part closest to the panel. Then slide the light assembly off away from the panel.

Looking at the back of the panel, there are two clear plastic tabs that are part of the lighted bezel that hold the whole thing into the panel, one at 12 o'clock, one at about 5 o'clock (they are not directly across from each other). Press them in using a flat bladed screwdriver while pushing the whole lighter assembly forward (takes a bit of force) and eventually it will come out. I got the 12 o'clock tab free, then wrestled with the 5 o'clock tab.

Snap the new lighted bezel into the panel, then slide the new lighter socket into it with the copper colored contact at the top (it will only go in one way). The socket will fight you when it's about half way in. Just keep pushing and it will slide all the way in and lock. Just plug back in the electrical connectors and snap the panel back in your dash. DONE!

It's a really easy upgrade. No more loose battery conditioner plug!