View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
BirdDog

Just installed the Suncoast cigarette lighter upgrade kit in my 2001 Boxster S.

The upgrade kit includes 2 parts:

996 652 102 10 Headlight Unit (the lighted bezel around the lighter socket

997 652 101 00 A05 Cigarette Lighter - Black Mat (cigarette lighter and socket)

The Suncoast price for the kit seemed pretty good as compared to the price of the individual parts.

The lighter and socket are slightly smaller in diameter, the lip of the socket is now chrome (original 986 socket had a flat black lip), and the graphic on the lighter is ever so slightly different (smoke is two straight white lines instead of a bubble).

(totally verbose installation instructions)...

As others have mentioned, the panel that the lighter sits in pulls out. There are two retainers. Looking at the panel, one is at about the 1 o'clock position, the other is at about the 5 oclock position. You want to pry straight up. I used a black nylon kitchen spatula and that worked great.

The wiring harnesses for the switches will tend to fight you, so I disconnected them and brought the panel into my apartment to do the replacement.

I would have been lost if it hadn't been for the diagram JFP provided. Thanks man!

First, remove the green plastic cover. Pry up on the sides of the part closest to the panel. Then slide the light assembly off away from the panel.

Looking at the back of the panel, there are two clear plastic tabs that are part of the lighted bezel that hold the whole thing into the panel, one at 12 o'clock, one at about 5 o'clock (they are not directly across from each other). Press them in using a flat bladed screwdriver while pushing the whole lighter assembly forward (takes a bit of force) and eventually it will come out. I got the 12 o'clock tab free, then wrestled with the 5 o'clock tab.

Snap the new lighted bezel into the panel, then slide the new lighter socket into it with the copper colored contact at the top (it will only go in one way). The socket will fight you when it's about half way in. Just keep pushing and it will slide all the way in and lock. Just plug back in the electrical connectors and snap the panel back in your dash. DONE!

It's a really easy upgrade. No more loose battery conditioner plug!