Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #1

Garage
Front license plate or not?

I know it looks so much cleaner with out the front plates but its just another reason to get pulled over in Cali. Very tempted to remove. How are you rollin?

99' 986 Porsche Boxster - Glacier White/Black interior, 19" ALT Miro Type 371 Wheels, ROW M030 Kit, RSS 7mm Wheel spacers, Smoked Depot Brake lights, Smoked 3rd Brake light, Bosch Smoked side markers/headlight corners, Desnorkeled, Modified Air Filter, Carbon Fiber door sills, Plasti-dipped side mirrors/air ducts, debadged rear, black hood crest, Keyhole delete, Much more to come, stay tuned...
Touch The Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

Garage
Nebraska. No front plate. Never been pulled over. Of course, I'm an old fart and drive conservatively in town.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #3

Kentucky only issues rear plates. Bumper plugs up front
Old 03-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Nebraska. No front plate. Never been pulled over. Of course, I'm an old fart and drive conservatively in town.
Don't drive the Hwy 275 Fremont bypass on a Sunday. There's a State Patrolman who watches that stretch like a hawk. In different yrs he's pulled me over with my LE, my 07 CS, and 08 CSS. The first two were fix-it tickets, the last one a $73 ticket. He mentioned something about me having a hard time displaying my front plates.

During the day, OPD could care less if you have a plate. Since I've been pulled over at night for rolling a stop sign and making a left turn into a right lane, I'm sure they'd use no front plate as an excuse to pull you over at night. I was pulled over by a State Patrolman in my 01S for no front plate but that was during a late night celebration during Omaha's Nationwide golf tournament. In all 3 cases they were fishing for drunks.

I was also pulled over near Fremont in 1985 driving my brother's '83 Turbo T-Bird. You guessed it - no front plate. Don't think it was the same Patrolman who got me the last 3 times. I bet the satellites were working overtime printing out my rap sheet the last time I got caught.

Am I a scofflaw?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-16-2014 at 04:17 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:03 PM   #5

Garage
I decided to remove my front plate and found these unsightly marks.

99' 986 Porsche Boxster - Glacier White/Black interior, 19" ALT Miro Type 371 Wheels, ROW M030 Kit, RSS 7mm Wheel spacers, Smoked Depot Brake lights, Smoked 3rd Brake light, Bosch Smoked side markers/headlight corners, Desnorkeled, Modified Air Filter, Carbon Fiber door sills, Plasti-dipped side mirrors/air ducts, debadged rear, black hood crest, Keyhole delete, Much more to come, stay tuned...
Touch The Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:31 PM   #6

I saw a guy in Denver get a no front plate ticket while parked on the street. I'd keep the plate on there if its required in your state.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

Garage
Glad to still have my freedoms and rights protected down south no front plate, no emission tests, no other highway inspections, most importantly no speed cameras.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #8

I roll in NJ with no front plate. It looks sooooooo much better without it. Got bumper plugs.
986AllBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Glad to still have my freedoms and rights protected down south no front plate, no emission tests, no other highway inspections, most importantly no speed cameras.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
I am my own mechanic....

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
My plastic mount was pretty worn/broken after 15 years so I removed it it. I am in no rush to replace it because I think it looks way better. My understanding is that the vast majority of police won't bother you about it unless they have already pulled you over for something else.
I think the cops in most big cities have better things to do than write front plate fix-it tickets.

Last edited by rick3000; 03-16-2014 at 10:08 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #12

My state doesn't even provide front plates. In CA I got ticketed more times then I can count for not having a front plate.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #13

No front tag. In fact, since moving to Ohio in 1997, I've had 3 cars (Camry, Mazdaspeed 3 and BoxsterS)...none have had front plates. I've been pulled over for other reasons from time to time, and they'll typically mention the absence of the front tag...but no ticket. I've heard, but can't verify, that Ohio's got plans to eliminate the requirement for front tags.

I think the earlier comment about age being a factor is a valid one...my son got pulled over once for no front plate when he had borrowed my Camry. No ticket was issued--I think it was a fishin' trip, an excuse to pull over and look for other issues.

Last edited by Frodo; 03-17-2014 at 03:17 AM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #14

Garage
What's next, what oil should I use, what are the best tires
Old 03-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #15

If your state requires a front plate, then use one ! Unless you have money to throw away for tickets. I stopped noticing mine about 2 days after I installed it (yes, Wyoming requires one, and we do get ticketed).
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:02 AM   #16

No Front plates or tickets for me in SoCal so far, but its only been 2 years.

I think the workload of police, and their personal disposition in your area will determine the likelihood of being pulled over and actually ticketed.

In my area they prefer to catch speeders so they typically don't bother you otherwise.

There's always a risk, but my car did not come with a front plate and when I asked the previous owner did not get one either so its likely been over 6 years since its had a front plate.

I suppose if I get ticketed I'll get new plates and attach the front.

If you keep one in the trunk/frunk and mention that you are in the process of getting it reattached but waiting on some brackets you could probably avoid a ticket, but that only works once with the same officer.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
In NC I had no front plate but pesky annual state inspections. down in FL no front plate and no inspections... and you can sure tell by some of the cars on the road. and giant trucks. Mufflers seem to be barely optional

I have bumper plugs but the paint delaminated from one of them so I have a big white dot on my bumper that really shows. I am going to do Dr Colorchip on my hood soon and when I do I may try to touch up that bumper plug.

If that doesn't work I do have some black bumper plugs I got really cheap from Suncoast, I may put them on.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #18
recycledsixtie

Garage
If the law in your state requires it then you should have a front plate. Why fight it? Duh!

Our province not required thankfully.

Cheers G. Have a law abiding day!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:12 AM   #19

No front plate, but we are supposed to have one installed. I have observed many vehicles without front plates too. It seems like it is only beneficial to the contractor that provides them to the states.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I think the cops in most big cities have better things to do than write front plate fix-it tickets.
Don't park in Chicago without one. The meter maids will get ya'.

I spend most of my time in Indiana (does not require a front plate) and because I live so close to the border, cops don't normally look for that where I'm at in Illinois. But them parking meter cops downtown got me once... once.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote