Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomet View Post
Thanks for the write up, definitely jealous, stunning picture

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #22

I do agree with just about everything Michael has said on the 986 to 981 jump. I have just gone the same way, but I decided to stick with the Boxster, as I still wanted that option to put the roof down when I wanted.

However I did test drive the Cayman S 981 PDK on Saturday and I did not get on with it, I don't see the point of it when you can buy a 991 Carrera 2 S for not a great deal more. For me the Boxster was created as the roadster and removing the option of a soft top just made it look like a 911, but that is just my view and preference.

For some reason the PDK did not have the same bite as the PDK I tested on the Boxster S a couple of weeks ago, I found myself over-revving when trying to put my foot down, which confirmed my preference for the manual.

2014 Boxster S GT Silver, Black Full Leather, 20" Classic Carrera Alloys, Sports Seats, Sports Exhaust, Sports Steering Wheel, PASM. TPM, Bose Surround, Ambient Lighting Pack, Front and Rear Park Assist.
1998 Boxster 2.5 Artic Silver/Boxster Red.
MK_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #23

There is actually a known, and unresolved issue with PDK 981s having a hesitation on pedal down from a stop. 6mt is fun anyhow.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #24

Who's driving a 987 or Cayman?

Wow, the 981 is just a fantastic looking car. I wish I could, but I can't justify the cost for a vehicle that will only be driven 5,000 a year. This is part of the reason I returned the 997S 2 weeks ago.

I went and looked at a 2007 Cayman base today and took it for a drive. Like the base Boxster, power was adequate, but didn't blow me away. This got me thinking, do I really need the extra hp of an S? The realistic answer....no. Even in my base 986, the only time I "think" I need more hp is when I'm hanging withe the 997 guys or the occasional need from a dead stop. In actuality, the base hp is plenty fun and more power would most likely get me in trouble.

Although I enjoy the convertible aspect of the Boxster, I'm thinking I won't miss the open roof too much. There are the great days when you can cruise with the top down, but much of my riding is with my 7 y/o. GA summers get pretty hot and the majority of the time we wind up turning the ac on. Not to mention, the Cayman looks way better than the Box with the top up.

The Cayman I saw today was black on black and a few odds/ends that needed addressing (broken door handle, cup holders, etc...), but mechanically ok. Approx 60k-ish miles, but priced about $3k too high. It's been stating around for about 2.5 months, so maybe a deal can be worked about. Need to sell my 996 FSBO, as trade-in value is the pits.

I'm in no hurry this time around.

Last edited by jeffm; 03-17-2014 at 05:42 PM.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Wow, the 981 is just a fantastic looking car. I wish I could, but I can't justify the cost for a vehicle that will only be driven 5,000 a year. This is part of the reason I returned the 997S 2 weeks ago.

I went and looked at a 2007 Cayman base today and took it for a drive. Like the base Boxster, power was adequate, but didn't blow me away. This got me thinking, do I really need the extra hp of an S? The realistic answer....no. Even in my base 986, the only time I "think" I need more hp is when I'm hanging withe the 997 guys or the occasional need from a dead stop. In actuality, the base hp is plenty fun and more power would most likely get me in trouble.

Although I enjoy the convertible aspect of the Boxster, I'm thinking I won't miss the open roof too much. There are the great days when you can cruise with the top down, but much of my riding is with my 7 y/o. GA summers get pretty hot and the majority of the time we wind up turning the ac on. Not to mention, the Cayman looks way better than the Box with the top up.

The Cayman I saw today was black on black and a few odds/ends that needed addressing (broken door handle, cup holders, etc...), but mechanically ok. Approx 60k-ish miles, but priced about $3k too high. It's been stating around for about 2.5 months, so maybe a deal can be worked about. Need to sell my 996 FSBO, as trade-in value is the pits.

I'm in no hurry this time around.
Off the line...the Base Cayman is really a snore. However...get the sucker reved up a bit and it's a seriously crazy machine. No....not 400HP crazy....but enough pull to keep you very occupied in the twisties. 4K+ is a fun world in the BC.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:49 AM   #26

I test drove a 987 Boxster as part of my shopping experience, along with a 2.5 98 Boxster and a 2.7 2001 Boxster. The 98 was very ho-hum (I think it had problems), the 2001 had lots of power, and the 987 (2006 or 2007 I think) didn't seem that different to me. And I liked the cockpit of the 986 better. I finally ended with a 2000S. If I had unlimited $ laying around I think I would like to get a Cayman R (with AC ) - there is one for sale about 90 minutes away at Porsche of Ocala...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #27

To the OP,

when considering 987 or perhaps 981 in terms of which handles better, Boxster with no top vs. Boxster with tin top (Cayman), the Boxster has been the better 987 option.
While the Cayman may improve rigidity the Boxster doesn't need it if it means more weight on top.

This was an excellent piece on Cayman R vs. Boxster Spyder with a Porsche ALMS racing driver behind the wheel at a karting track (to emphasize grip and handling) on fairly equal power.

The Boxster was a huge winner considering the venue. A 0.6's gap on such a tight circuit makes it an open and shut case. Anything beyond a few tenths is a big deal.
Overbeek could not break 31 seconds with the Cayman yet he did it on every lap with Boxster.
Overbeek also commented that the Boxster Spyder was a straight up "point and shoot" proposition while the Cayman's weight up top required some minding on entry. This test was a revelation to many erroneous previously held views. I blame Porsche for creating this faux marketing hiearchy of Boxster>Cayman>Carrera when the handling reality is the actual reverse.
Low COG, RWD, MID. The Boxster is the Porsche that gets you the best of all three.

Excellence :: Open and Shut Case: Track Test : Cayman R vs. Boxster Spyder

"The nice thing about 30-second laps is you can do a lot of experimentation in a short period of time. Most of mine in ivolves finding a way to get the R to “hook up,” because it’s always fighting for mechanical grip. This track must be a slick surface, because at entry, mid-corner, and exit, I’m searching for elusive grip — and I can’t find a driving solution for the problem.

I’m expecting a similar outcome in the Spyder, since both cars have the same tires, similar tire pressures, and the same brakes. The Spyder is marginally heavier, but it’s a rounding error. Since it also has 10 fewer horses, I’ve already figured the R is the faster 987. So much for being objective — or correct, for that matter.

Heading into the first and fastest 180, the Spyder turns in perfectly. Hmm, maybe I lucked into a spot of grip. At corner exit, the Spyder hunkers down in first and leaves the turn without any of the oversteer that the R exhibited. The big difference is found in the fast, dog-leg right-hander: The Spyder is utterly composed and easy to drift through this section — it doesn’t have the slide-catch-slide routine I faced in the Cayman R

The more laps I spend in the Spyder, the more I like it. Despite having slightly less power and slightly more weight, it has more mechanical grip and better feel at the limit. Not surprisingly, my times are, both on average and as fast times, six tenths of a second faster per lap in the Spyder." J. Overbeek
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-18-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #28

Before you plunk down your hard earned cash for a Spyder as your track day weapon of choice, remember that US DEs require the top to be up (or on) before you hit the track. The Spyder's toupee is only good for 120mph when on.

If I lived in San Diego and could constantly leave the top off, a Spyder would def be my choice. Otherwise I'd have to consider the gyrations of putting the top on and off and how unsightly it looks with the toupee on. Can't think of anywhere else besides SD that I could go topless 100% of the time and enjoy it.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-18-2014 at 01:56 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #29

[/QUOTE]

After staring at this picture for who knows how long, I got one request from you 981 drivers. Since I'm planning on upgrading one day, please keep all the unnecessary driving down to a minimum. What I'm getting at is, do more polishing and less driving. Its okay for it to be a garage queen. Just let it sit. Thanks in advance :dance: