Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 02:47 AM   #1

Garage
Lightbulb Porsche F1

Just watched the Australian GP. Will be interesting season with the new regs.
Ferrari, Mercedes, Maclaren, Lotus all present. So why not Porsche?
Will they ever get involved ?

Dave_aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:52 AM   #2

funny. I once asked the very same question to a senior Porsche official at one of those Carrera Cup race. The guy answered "we have nothing to prove, we've done that long ago already".

Loved it
Old 03-16-2014, 04:20 AM   #3

Garage
Not sure I would agree with his summary. Built some engines for TAG (successfully in 83/4 and a brief appearance in the sixties).
Wouldn't it be great to see a factory Porsche F1 team?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:30 AM   #4

Garage
More importantly i would love to see them get involved in rally again. Just for racing in general i would love for the GT1 class to return to le mans, GT1 means some amazing homologation models.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_aus View Post
Just watched the Australian GP. Will be interesting season with the new regs.
Ferrari, Mercedes, Maclaren, Lotus all present. So why not Porsche?
Will they ever get involved ?
Two words: NO.

Just sayin'.............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

One word: NO.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #7

F1 is a collosal waste of money. They could have just as many fans while spending a 1/3.
It's retarded. It's stupid. It's illogical. And more importantly, it affects the driver selection process heavily. Which in turn makes it very, very predictable podiums (same six guys, with only 2 or 3 with a shot at the title...every yea). Even the top teams have been reduced to side-stepping the best talent available in order to secure some extra money to run the wind tunnel or whatever..

And Porsche, their kind of limited in their racing. The rear engine thing works in endurance races on circuits with very long straights like Cicuit de la Sarthe. But as far as sprint racing, on technical circuits, they need a mid-engine car like the (R8, F458) ages ago.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-16-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
F1 is a collosal waste of money. They could have just as many fans while spending a 1/3.
It's retarded. It's stupid. It's illogical. And more importantly, it affects the driver selection process heavily. Which in turn makes it very, very predictable podiums (same six guys, with only 2 or 3 with a shot at the title...every yea). Even the top teams have been reduced to side-stepping the best talent available in order to secure some extra money to run the wind tunnel or whatever..
Apparently you missed seeing Daniel Riccairdo and Kevin Magnussen on the podium today (or was that yesterday) along with Nico Rosberg. The new rules have really shaken things up for now.

Too bad Riccairdo was later DQ'd due to a fuel flow meter issue. This pushed Button up on the podium wheer he has not been in a long long time. However, it looked like Valtteri Bottas would have been in P2 or P3 if he had not touched the wall and had to come in for a wheel/tire.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97

Last edited by LAP1DOUG; 03-16-2014 at 07:00 PM.
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #9

Garage
It was an interesting race, lots of overtaking on a good circuit with lots of corners. The new regs require turbo v6 engines limited to 1.6 litres. Produce lots of power and also fuel efficient. A technical challenge that interests Mercedes, Ferrari, Maclaren etc.
Obviously a business case that stacks up for their operation....
Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
Apparently you missed seeing Daniel Riccairdo and Kevin Magnussen on the podium today (or was that yesterday) along with Nico Rosberg. The new rules have really shaken things up for now.

Too bad Riccairdo was later DQ'd due to a fuel flow meter issue. This pushed Button up on the podium wheer he has not been in a long long time. However, it looked like Valtteri Bottas would have been in P2 or P3 if he had not touched the wall and had to come in for a wheel/tire.
The only surprising podium of the F1 season is usually the first. Also, that podium was a lucky fluke for those rookies/new to the team drivers. Hamilton and Vettel both had car issues that essentially reduced the top two teams to one car that weekend.
Save for attrition of 2 of the 3 best drivers in F1, we'd a had the same old faces up on steps 1-2-3.

btw, the fact that Ricci man was running that well tells me the RedBull has the pace to make it 8 in a row or however many WCC's RB has by now.
I predict Vettel will win the next race with Hamilton 2nd and Redbull #2 driver in 3rd.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-17-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #11

I sure do miss the 8 cylinders turning 18K rpms it was always music to me. The new engines don't sound as good as my 986! New regs will at least have the effect ofmaking the pódiums a Little more interesting.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #12

This is why F1 is ridiculous and Porsche like to keep their big profits in their accounts and not Bernie's.
F1 spends more on fancy sushi than what it costs 1/2 dozens Indy teams to race every tire, spark plug and driver pay check.
$130 million engines? That's a lot Cayennes...

per car:
Top F1 team: $125 million; Top IndyCar team: $3 million

The largest single cost for most F1 teams is the design, development and construction of a bespoke chassis. F1 teams must construct their own chassis and although the manufacturing costs of an F1 car are a relatively small $15 million per year, top teams can spend well over $100 million on research and development.

All IndyCar teams must buy their chassis from series provider Dallara. The price is $345,000 per chassis, but the purchase of aerodynamic packages designed for different circuits can add another $150,000-$200,000. A team typically gets through three chassis per driver each year.

THE ENGINES
Top F1 team: $130 million; Top IndyCar team: $2 million

F1 manufacturers such as Ferrari and Mercedes spend more than $100 million annually on engine development. This is principally to supply their own teams, but they are required to also supply other teams with engines and typically charge $13 million per season to do so.

Honda and Chevrolet typically charge IndyCar teams around $1 million per year per driver for an engine package which will allow the use of eight engines.

TESTING
Top F1 team: $15 million; Top IndyCar team: $1 million

Restrictions on F1 testing in recent years have seen budgets slashed from $35 million to $15 million annually in order to cut costs. This is still far larger than the IndyCar teams’ $1 million annual spending.

DRIVERS
Top F1 team: $47 million; Top IndyCar team: $3 million

Two times world champion Fernando Alonso is one of the highest paid sports stars in the world, receiving an annual salary of $40 million from Ferrari. In contrast leading IndyCar drivers receive $1-2 million per year. Unlike F1 drivers they also receive prize money – $2.5 million for Dario Franchitti when he won last year’s Indy 500 – but are usually expected to give at least half of this to their team.

ENTRY FEE
Top F1 team: $3.3 million; Top IndyCar team: $456,000

F1’s governing body, the FIA, operates a complex system for entry fees where each team is charged a basic fee of $500,000, plus $6,000 per point scored in the previous season for the constructors’ champion and $5,000 per point for everyone else. This has left 2012 champion Red Bull Racing with a bill of $3,260,000 this year. In contrast, IndyCar teams pay $12,000 per car per race.

HOSPITALITY
Top F1 team: $13 million; Top IndyCar team: $1 million

Hospitality may seem like a frivolous extra but it is a crucial part of how an F1 team operates. Sponsors spend up to $100 million annually so expect to receive silver service treatment when they visit a Grand Prix. A top F1 team can spend more on hospitality in a season than an IndyCar team spends on its entire budget. In contrast leading IndyCar teams may spend up to $200,000 at a showpiece event like the Indy 500, but far less at other races.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-17-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #13

I agree with Perfectlap. Porsche has nothing to gain by racing F1. Sports car racing is where they belong to represent the brand.

I've heard F1 budget exceed $1 Billion annual budget for top teams.

If anything Porsche should look at developing the Cayman and Boxster to run the Continental series in Tudor. We already can see they will not develop these cars to run in GTLms. Why not Continental series?
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #14

F1 is officially dead, it truly was an awful spectacle with cars that sounded like a vacuum truck mixed with a hair dryer. I would rather spend that time on a Sunday out enjoying a real car.
2014 Boxster S GT Silver, Black Full Leather, 20" Classic Carrera Alloys, Sports Seats, Sports Exhaust, Sports Steering Wheel, PASM. TPM, Bose Surround, Ambient Lighting Pack, Front and Rear Park Assist.
1998 Boxster 2.5 Artic Silver/Boxster Red.
MK_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK_Hatter View Post
F1 is officially dead, it truly was an awful spectacle with cars that sounded like a vacuum truck mixed with a hair dryer. I would rather spend that time on a Sunday out enjoying a real car.
I felt the same way. As I watched something was missing. It was that high pitch sound that was missing. Without this the cars looked like they were just rolling along instead of racing.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #16

I thought the new cars sounded amazing. It was great to see the new guys on the podium. Was even better to see Vettel fail to make Q1, almost as sweet as Maldonado and Grosjean having to drop out. And Kamui - what the hell was that, anyway?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #17

I must be the only one that wasn't missing those old kitchen blender engines.

Even a bad turbo engine sound still sounds better to me. I just with they more like the F1 Turbos of 70's and early 80's.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #18

Garage
So we've established that F1 is a lot more costly than Indycar racing.
Question is if Porsche had a F1 team, would you be interested & watching?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #19
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_aus View Post
Question is if Porsche had a F1 team, would you be interested & watching?
Yes, absolutely. I've been following F1 since Denny Hulme won at Monaco in 1967. I've been to GPs in three countries, and now the USGP is in my back yard.

I'd watch it no matter who competed and what the rules are, even if they go all electric. IMHO, F1 is, and always will be, the pinnacle of motorsport.

And yes, it would be great if Porsche threw it's hat in the ring, but it just doesn't make sense to them to do so.

Just sayin'.............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:38 AM   #20

You still gotta love F1, rule changes only make for more exciting developments and issues in this sport. Give a team a rule book, tell them the minimum and maximums and then turn the engineers loose, really how all racing should be. I can't stand to watch NECKCAR with every car and engine just made with cookie cutters, BORING!

I do wish that F1 would bring back refueling during the race and drop the required tire change. Let them use whatever tire compound they want but limit the fuel storage so that they must refuel twice during a race. Yeah I know safety concerns over fuel, but really compared to all the other dangers in F1, refueling has got to be one of lowest.