Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

Apple to Buy Tesla?

Shares of Tesla Motors popped 3% to all-time highs on Tuesday following reports Elon Musk, the electric car maker’s CEO, met with Apple’s M&A chief last spring...

Could Apple Drive Away With Tesla? Musk Reportedly Met With Apple Exec | Fox Business

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

I highly doubt Musk would allow Tim Cook to drive away with his cherised car company after the Iphone 5C...

Unless Musk thinks that Tesla the company is extremely over-valued, which he's said of the the stock price at least once in the past, and figures he's getting one over on Apple. Although part of me thinks that Musk knows the vagaries of the credit markets and figures having Apple's absurd cash stockpile could be welcome cover the next time the banks decide not to loan anyone a dime like in 2009 and he can't sell any Model S'.
A guy like Musk could take Apple to the cleaners and keep developing his cars to be the best rather than fixating about burn rates from hell.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-18-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

Garage
Does this mean there be a new Tesla model every six months now ?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #4

Garage
Tesla will stay independent, if anything they will buy smart or some economy company. He likely met on apples request and I feel no dollar amount would pull musk away from his electric bride. Who knows maybe they want the large center console screens to be made by apple.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Who knows maybe they want the large center console screens to be made by apple.
Chips aside, Apple farms out nearly all of their stuff to Samsung, Sharp, etc.
And on the interface side, Samsung have considerable market share so they can do that part too. I don't think anyone is in love iOS7 so I doubt he's trying to make the console more like that. Even my senior citizen mom complains about it on her Ipad Air. "when's Apple going to make an Android tablet?" Which is what Steve Wozniak suggested recently about an Android phone made by Apple.

But I'm also guessing a very high % of American Tesla owners are "Apple only" so Musk's got to figure out ways to make the iPhone work extremely well with the car. I just hope he doesn't let them take over because Apple calling all the shots usually means the buyer's options are far more limited and they end up paying more for everything (Porsche must be their inspiration). OTOH Musk can learn a lot from Apple about vertical integration in manufacturing for obscene margins. FoxConn to start making $80K Model S cars for $20K now... oil company stocks crater.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-18-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Chips aside, Apple farms out nearly all of their stuff to Samsung, Sharp, etc.
And on the interface side, Samsung have considerable market share so they can do that part too. I don't think anyone is in love iOS7 so I doubt he's trying to make the console more like that. Even my senior citizen mom complains about it on her Ipad Air. "when's Apple going to make an Android tablet?" Which is what Steve Wozniak suggested recently about an Android phone made by Apple.

But I'm also guessing a very high % of American Tesla owners are "Apple only" so Musk's got to figure out ways to make the iPhone work extremely well with the car. I just hope he doesn't let them take over because Apple calling all the shots usually means the buyer's options are far more limited and they end up paying more for everything (Porsche must be their inspiration). OTOH Musk can learn a lot from Apple about vertical integration in manufacturing for obscene margins. FoxConn to start making $80K Model S cars for $20K now... oil company stocks crater.
I see the companies working together because the average tesla buyer is very likely to be an avid apple fan weather this be for apps that work well with the car or what, but i really don't see Tesla going into apples hands. What really has came to my mind is maybe some form of battery charging the companies may be looking to put resources together to develop. See a need, fill a need. Batteries have a larger negative impact on modern tech than anything else i feel.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #7

I'd be curious to see what % of Tesla drivers, who hold post-graduate degrees in the sciences are Apple users. I'm guessing not nearly as high as doctors, lawyers and bankers who all seem to just default to the iPhone without ever trying an Windows or Android phone.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

I have two words for y'all: automotive telematics

The next big fight is going to be over who "owns" your car dashboard: Apple, Microsoft, or Google.

Just remember, you read it here first.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
The next big fight is going to be over who "owns" your car dashboard: Apple, Microsoft, or Google.
Dovetail this into the "Technologist vs Simplifier" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Have any of you read the article "Shades of 1978" in the February Panomara magazine? Are you a Technologist or a Simplifier? I'm a Simplifier and my non-PASM 6 speed manual Boxster S fits my needs perfectly.

I hope Porsche will continue to offer drivers cars but right now I'm a little concerned with the direction Porsche is going.

Are you a Technologist or a Simplifier? Is your Boxster the best Porsche drivers car or will you one day go for a newer more technology laden Porsche?
Disable everything, and let the driver be the master of the machine.

And if one argues that driver aids are necessary to control 500+ HP cars, let's concede that this is valid. But then again, we don't NEED 500+ HP cars to enjoy the driving experience.

Just sayin'........

TO

Last edited by TeamOxford; 02-19-2014 at 07:41 PM.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote