Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #1

2001 Boxster driven in the rain for the first time today

Well I finally had to drive my Boxster in the rain today, first time it's been exposed to rain 13 years. Yes you've guessed it, it has never had to be a daily driver.

Any of you members been able to never have to drive your Boxster in less than perfect condition?

Also, my Boxster has never stayed out overnight, always garaged or when traveling it is always covered at night.

Just curious if some others have kept it virgin to the elements.

(Wondering if moderators will send me a message for my vulgar use of the term virgin, based on some other messages, I wouldn't be surprised)

Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #2

Garage
my boxster was done over terribly by the previous owner, but since ive owned it, it has been kept under a tarp in the garage when not driven and has only been out in the rain once when it had to be.... im sure the mods wont mind.. the popular disney movie Hocus Pocus uses the term virgin enough times to make a drinking game out of it. Not that i drink.. choose to keep my body clean of such at least until im of legal age
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Mine was from east of LA and was literally sandblasted. The windshield and hood and bumper had to be fixed. It lives at the shop in snow. I'll drive it in rain. Then big detail after streets dry. I keep it super clean.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #4

Haha! no...
I drove it home in the rain the day I bought it. The plastic window is separating on the passenger side and rain gets in when it's heavy. think I've driven it to work a dozen times in the rain.
It's been snowed on a couple times too.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #5

The pic should answer :-) everyday, sun, rain or snow, I love driving my 986S and I Will do the same with my 981. I will order it with Porsche winter tire option :-)

Later
Chris
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #6

It's a car, it has paint to protect the metal...just drive it.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #7

so let's see some pics of a car never driven in the rain. In 10 years on these forums I've never heard of such. What's the mileage .... and have you swapped the IMS?

p.s.
do you bother to replace the wipers ever? I do that ever six months. Bosch are awesome. I apply Rain X and it's like HD vision.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #8

Well, my car is a '99, owned since new, and it has never been in the rain (or snow). Nor has it ever stayed outside overnight. Similarly to Slate 01, this car has not been a DD either, obviously.

Our '90 RX7 Turbo, which we have owned since new (August 24th, 1989) has never been in the rain either. Now that I think of it our.......

We must obviously be fair weather drivers.
2011 BMW 335ix Coupe, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1960 VW Type 1, 1962 VW Type 2 Truck

Last edited by AP328; 02-07-2014 at 03:36 PM.
AP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Just curious if some others have kept it virgin to the elements.
I have owned the Boxster since it was new. I special ordered it and took delivery on April 30, 2001. It has never seen rain & it has never stayed outside over night. If I drive it and know it will be parked for more than an hour in the elements I cover it. Right now it is in the garage covered with two covers; an inside cover then an outside cover, and hooked up to a battery charger.

It is for sale at a high price and I don't expect it will sell. If it doesn't sale by the 21st of this month I am going to keep it. But that will be another post!
http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/49380-fs-2001-porsche-boxster-s-23-200-miles-original-owner-loaded.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
so let's see some pics of a car never driven in the rain. In 10 years on these forums I've never heard of such. What's the mileage .... and have you swapped the IMS?

p.s.
do you bother to replace the wipers ever? I do that ever six months. Bosch are awesome. I apply Rain X and it's like HD vision.
The current mileage is 23,514. I change the oil once a year and have it analyzed by Blackstone Laboratory.

On July 2, 2008, at 16,452 miles, the RMS was upgraded.

The invoice states, "R&I Exhaust, R&I Transmission, R&I Clutch and Flywheel, R&R Rear Mail Seal, R&I Tensioners, R&R Intermediate Shaft Flange Seal, Clean Oil Residue From Trans and Engine."

The total bill was $2223.52.

The engine number of my Boxster is M96 21/ 671 09227. According to a Pelican Technical Article, this engine should have a double row IMS baring. Based on the fact it should have a double row baring, I am not that concerned.

Still have the original wipers on the car.

Here are some photos.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD

Last edited by Chuck W.; 02-07-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post

p.s.
I buy Bosch because they last and last. When they stop working, they get changed!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #11

no offense

not a collector car, its a drivers car, the joy is driving it as well as maintaining it(which obviously you are already experiencing). I am a perfectionist which alot of folks on this forum are, but from experience no matter what, she cleans up real nice. On the other hand in 30 years it might be a barn find. Just so many water cooled p cars out there... cheap. IMO P.S. ever go over 4000 RPM?
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
(Wondering if moderators will send me a message for my vulgar use of the term virgin, based on some other messages, I wouldn't be surprised)
It is what it is, isn't it? Wouldn't consider it vulgar, otherwise grocery stores would use an euphemism for extra virgin olive oil.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #13

I bought my 2000 S 1 year ago and the owner said it had seen rain twice in 45k miles and always hand washed. The paint was MINT condition minus rock chips in the front.

I bought it as a daily driver so rain or shine...it drives.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #14

Garage
I bought mine in Atlanta and on the drive home, it rained like I have never seen before. I try not to drive it in the rain only because then I have to make some time to wash it. I am sure the previous two owners drove it in the rain. It does live inside and is definitely pampered.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I drove my 01 to work today (50 miles roundtrip)
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:46 AM   #16

Garage
When I picked up my 03, it came with a set of winter tires/rims. I had planned on selling them since I had no intentions of ever driving the car in the winter/snow. After driving the car for the first few months, those plans were abandoned. The car is so much fun to drive that its in use 12 months a year. Admittedly I prefer nice days with the top down, but it's a very capable car with snow tires in most conditions in the winter. The heated seats don't hurt, either.

For those whose cars have never seen rain or even been outside overnight, I'll assume you've never taken an extended road trip. I must say, road trips are the best part of owning a roadster. Load up the two trunks and go driving....
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #17

Garage
I bought mine for use when it is too hot or too cold for the motorcycles, or too high a chance of rain during my daily drive. So, it will definitly get wet since anything over 40% chance of rain will be a definite Boxster day. If I take it up to the cottage on a weekend trip there is no garage, so it will have some nights outside.

I am drawing the line at snow, at least for now (although good handling rear wheel drive cars in snow are an absolute blast). Possibly because I have not bought winter wheels and snow tires for it, and the thought of trying to keep all that salt and brine off of it (black) offends me.
TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #18

Garage
Haven't had that sort of luck. For the most part I don't drive the car if it's not sunny. The day I purchased the car, it snowed on the 50 mile drive home. I've been caught out about 3 times. This past October I signed up for 2 DE in October and it rained 3 of the five day. I can't say that it wasn't a great learning event.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #19

Even if it was a collector's car, just drive it. Seriously, who cares.

In a recent Comedian's in cars with coffee, check out Jerry Seinfeld driving his 1973 Carerra RS in the rain...

(That is among the single most collectible Porsches of all time).

/
Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike View Post
Even if it was a collector's car, just drive it. Seriously, who cares.

In a recent Comedian's in cars with coffee, check out Jerry Seinfeld driving his 1973 Carerra RS in the rain...

(That is among the single most collectible Porsches of all time).

/

To be fair, it's easy for someone like Jerry. He could have every atom in that RS replaced by hand 1,000 times and it wouldn't make a dent in his bank balance. He has nothing to worry about using his cars. Not so for everyone.