Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
2004 Boxster S

New to battery maintainers, a tad nervous (details inside)

So I got the 5 Amp European version of the CTEK batter maintainer/charger thinking my battery would thank me in the long run. My box sits garaged two months at a time all year (albeit in a warm climate) since it lives at my second home. So far with no battery maintence it starts right up every time even with the long periods between use. When I do drive it, it sees lots of kms.

Anyway, I'm nervous about leaving a battery maintainer plugged in and completely unnattended. What about battery ventilation? How safe are these things? I really don't want a call that my garage and car have become charcoal in my absence... should I be concerned and does anyone have some calming advice on best practices?

Thanks

evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 AM   #2

Garage
I use a Battery Tender brand maintainer on the deep-cycle battery in my boat, which is stored in my garage. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I ended up without a tow vehicle last summer, so the boat didn't go out. The maintainer has been on the battery for 14 straight months with no issues. The maintainer body and the wall plug are cool to the touch, as are the battery terminals, so no hot spots. If your garage wiring is adequate, I think you are good to go. After all, that's what these devices are designed for.

Bill
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
1976 Datsun 260Z
billj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
WALDMEISTER

Garage
I do have a Porsche Charge-o-mat and a CTEK maintainer...usually keep them running for 5-7 days max in a row.

Garage and cars are still there...and even better...no dead batteries during/after winter time :dance:
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #4

+1 ctek

I use the CTEK with Porsche stamped it. (Meaning I paid too much) Anyway, I have used it for six years via the cigarette lighter. It has stayed on nonstop for weeks at a time. No problems. The battery is always ready for duty when called upon.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #5

I have a 4 station Battery Tender that is running 24/7 and hooked up to two to four cars at all times. No issues.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
So I got the 5 Amp European version of the CTEK batter maintainer/charger thinking my battery would thank me in the long run. My box sits garaged two months at a time all year (albeit in a warm climate) since it lives at my second home. So far with no battery maintence it starts right up every time even with the long periods between use. When I do drive it, it sees lots of kms.

Anyway, I'm nervous about leaving a battery maintainer plugged in and completely unnattended. What about battery ventilation? How safe are these things? I really don't want a call that my garage and car have become charcoal in my absence... should I be concerned and does anyone have some calming advice on best practices?

Thanks
Take a breath and relax. We literally have a building full of cars, all connected to Ctek maintainers literally for months at a time without any problems, and have done so for many winters.

Your battery, if it is an OEM style, hadsa vent line that runs down under the car from the factory. But in any case, the Ctek is not going to cause the battery to get warm; it is just going to keep it at an optimum charge level and test it from time to time, topping it up if needed.

So just check your electrolyte level before you put the car away, hook up your Ctek and go get a good night's sleep; your car is going to be fine.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:35 AM   #7

My battery tender stays hooked up from November to April each year. No issues in the 5 years I've been doing this. This is what they are designed for.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

Garage
Ditto what Mark T said. I put my Boxster's battery on a tender sometime around the beginning of November and take it off in late March... never had an issue. Find something else to worry about!!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:46 PM   #9

My Porsche float battery maintainer goes on the Boxster in late October and comes off in March every year. Never had an issue.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #10

I recently picked up a fifth car (Mercedes 500SL) that is going to live outdoors in the driveway. The Box and the Triumph with no roof get to live inside.

I was wondering is any of you know of a battery maintainer that I could plug in outdoors with an outdoor extension cord?
2005 Ford F-150 Monster Truck
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
2004 Boxster S

Thanks for the responses everyone. The Ctek is plugged in doing its thing and I'm no longer worrying. Love this group.

evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote