View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
So I got the 5 Amp European version of the CTEK batter maintainer/charger thinking my battery would thank me in the long run. My box sits garaged two months at a time all year (albeit in a warm climate) since it lives at my second home. So far with no battery maintence it starts right up every time even with the long periods between use. When I do drive it, it sees lots of kms.

Anyway, I'm nervous about leaving a battery maintainer plugged in and completely unnattended. What about battery ventilation? How safe are these things? I really don't want a call that my garage and car have become charcoal in my absence... should I be concerned and does anyone have some calming advice on best practices?

Thanks
Take a breath and relax. We literally have a building full of cars, all connected to Ctek maintainers literally for months at a time without any problems, and have done so for many winters.

Your battery, if it is an OEM style, hadsa vent line that runs down under the car from the factory. But in any case, the Ctek is not going to cause the battery to get warm; it is just going to keep it at an optimum charge level and test it from time to time, topping it up if needed.

So just check your electrolyte level before you put the car away, hook up your Ctek and go get a good night's sleep; your car is going to be fine.