Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #1

IMS Bearing failure- Eisen vs PCNA lawsuit

This lawsuit specifically dealing with the IMS bearing failure in 2001-2005 Boxster and 911 cars is quickly drawing to a close. I am one of probably many owners who's claim was rejected because my failure occurred just outside the 10 year in-service time period specified in the settlement.

I am creating this Thread to gather input from fellow owners who's claims have been rejected. I want to determine whether there is sufficient interest to pursue a lawsuit against PCNA for vehicles that have had the IMS failure outside the arbitrary 10 yr period.

chuck reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

Just bought my 02 S a few months ago knowing about and just factored it into the purchase of the car. Just got my IMS upgraded last month and sure enough the grease in the old bearing was gone. This is on a car with only 41k and was always serviced properly.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck reed View Post
This lawsuit specifically dealing with the IMS bearing failure in 2001-2005 Boxster and 911 cars is quickly drawing to a close. I am one of probably many owners who's claim was rejected because my failure occurred just outside the 10 year in-service time period specified in the settlement.

I am creating this Thread to gather input from fellow owners who's claims have been rejected. I want to determine whether there is sufficient interest to pursue a lawsuit against PCNA for vehicles that have had the IMS failure outside the arbitrary 10 yr period.
How many miles and months did you put on your car personally before the failure occurred? Also, did your failure occur after 2009?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Just bought my 02 S a few months ago knowing about and just factored it into the purchase of the car. Just got my IMS upgraded last month and sure enough the grease in the old bearing was gone. This is on a car with only 41k and was always serviced properly.
Was a coolant flush performed as part of your "new to me" servicing? If so did the coolant tank leak at all? Have you replaced the coolant cap to the latest version? Coolant system failures claim many more engines than the IMS. That eco system needs special attention, especially if you have flushed the system without updating the cap.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Was a coolant flush performed as part of your "new to me" servicing? If so did the coolant tank leak at all? Have you replaced the coolant cap to the latest version? Coolant system failures claim many more engines than the IMS. That eco system needs special attention, especially if you have flushed the system without updating the cap.
Yes, plus one better by replacing the water pump, thermostat (165 degree), system flush plus proper coolant/distilled water/water wetter mix. I was glad we did the pump as there where signs of coolant leakage.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #6

My guess is that pursuing another suit will be very difficult because owners will be bound by the terms of the class settlement unless they formally opted out.

I'm not sure if people still had the right to opt out after their claim was rejected, but the number is probably very small.

Good luck, I'm one of the people who did opt out of the settlement.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Yes, plus one better by replacing the water pump, thermostat (165 degree), system flush plus proper coolant/distilled water/water wetter mix. I was glad we did the pump as there where signs of coolant leakage.
For only two months of ownership it sounds like you're in the right hands.
I'll bet 90% of Boxster owners haven't even considered what you've already done.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck reed View Post

I don't know the specifics of the class action claim, but if it's an opt out type of action, you are bound by the terms of the settlement unless you filed an opt out. Best case scenario for you is you can still file an individual action against Porsche, but that will cost you tens, if not hundreds of thousands in attorneys fees to bring your claim.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #9

any update here

there was an an appeal filled... settlement wad deemed "fair" but excluded 2001, 2002, and 2003 MY because over the ten year clause. So really only included a subset of 2004 and 2005... and then only for new (original owner) or ACPO cars.

I have a 2003 MY with a 2008 replacement engine...so who knows where I would fit.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eisen suit , ims